VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i noticed if video is ripped to the computer, if i try to split parts after that the pq turns darker & it seems not to when splitting parts of video while its on the video disk & not the hd, probably since its not "ripping" a second time. anyway to fix this issue of darkened pq if it can only be ripped first in its entirety & can not directly be split into parts before being ripped as the whole video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The process of ripping is just moving the data from the disc to the hard drive. This should not affect the visual quality in any way whatsoever. If, on the other hand, you are decrypting and converting or compressing as you get the movie on the hard drive, this does entail some visual quality loss.

Always rip with no conversion or compression applied. Then work with the video. To do this with AnyDVD, right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen, then select Rip Video DVD to Harddisk, or Rip to Image, depending on whether you want an ISO image file or movie folders. Generally with DVD-video, Slysoft recommends ripping as folders/files rather than ISO image files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Kerry56,
    OK, if i rip as movie folders & not ISO, does this mean i can select only some of the vts files to keep 100% quality, if the dvd is double layer? can i drag the vts files into clonedvd or any dvd burning software to make a dvd with 100% quality? what i can try while selecting the files for no quality loss, am i doing this correctly by selecting from the top on the movie folders files then selecting downwards till it matches to around 4 gb as a single layer dvd would be?

Thanks for replying with your informative answer Kerry56
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tj1080i View Post
    can i drag the vts files into clonedvd or any dvd burning software to make a dvd with 100% quality?
    CloneDVD is a transcoder. You'd have no reason to use it if you're copying a DVD with full quality. If you want 100% quality you decrypt followed by burning with ImgBurn. The files on the computer should be nearly the size of them on the DVD. All you're doing is removing the encryption and the region coding.
    does this mean i can select only some of the vts files to keep 100% quality, if the dvd is double layer?
    If you want 100% you burn to a DVD9. If you want to use a DVD5 the files have to be compressed (or some removed (extras, unneeded audio, logos and other garbage, then followed by less compression)) and CloneDVD would be the last program to use if you care about quality. Even DVDShrink is better. And for best quality compression you use a program that reencodes (not transcodes), one such as DVD-Rebuilder. Or you do the whole job manually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tj1080i View Post
    OK, if i rip as movie folders & not ISO, does this mean i can select only some of the vts files to keep 100% quality, if the dvd is double layer? can i drag the vts files into clonedvd or any dvd burning software to make a dvd with 100% quality? what i can try while selecting the files for no quality loss, am i doing this correctly by selecting from the top on the movie folders files then selecting downwards till it matches to around 4 gb as a single layer dvd would be?
    It doesn't make sense because the movie itself might span 3GB worth of vob files, or it might span 6GB worth etc.
    If you rip an entire disc with AnyDVD, you can open the folder of ripped file with DVDShrink and use it's re-author function. For example a DVD containing a movie would usually have one large title, and you'd drag it from the right pane to the left (when in re-author mode). You can select/deselect audio and subtitle tracks. If you disable DVDShrink's compression and use the backup function, it'll then output a single set of vob files containing just the movie. No DVD menus, no extras etc. That's maximum quality as the video is still the original, but you might have 4GB worth of vob files or maybe 7GB etc. If you want to burn to a single layer disc (DVD5) and the total file size is too large, you'll need to transcode or re-encode. If you enable DVDShrink's compression it'll transcode if need be, but you'll lose quality. The only other option would be to split the movie into two individual DVD video discs. You can do that with DVDShrink's edit/re-author function.

You can't just drag a bunch of files off the original disc and reburn them. Well you can, but probably not as a proper DVD video disc. That requires a proper/complete DVD structure. DVD Shrink will output that. If you want to burn a DVD video disc (rather than a data disc) you have to tell the burning software to create a DVD video disc, which is burned in a particular way. If the files you try to burn don't make up a proper DVD video structure, the burning software should complain.

What you're saying about the picture becoming darker when splitting doesn't make sense. I'm not sure what's happening there.

Do you particularly need to create a new DVD video disc? If not MkeMKV will rip DVDs while outputting the movie as a single MKV (for example). Different container format, but original audio and video. No quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!