VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Please read this carefully. I think I've added all relevant information.

I'm on Windows. I have latest MakeMKV and Handbrake (downloaded January 20, 2015). I'm ripping the US version blur ray Star Trek movies to a HDD. Several of them have subtitle tracks (#3 subtitle track) that display Klingon-to-English translation a couple times during the film. I speak English. I "checked" all English audio and subtitle tracks when I ripped the blu rays with MakeMKV. I've watched them on VLC and verified subtitle track #3 is the one I want. This is all I've done as far as ripping the movies. I have not done anything else with this MKV file.

NOW, I'd like to make the #3 subtitle track a permanent part of the video image (hard code?), so it will show up on any device. I will most likely play the videos straight from HDD to USB ports on Samsung TV and Panasonic blur ray player. I've tested these, and they play the movie files great! Eventually, I will convert files to play through latest Apple TV, but that isn't a priority now.

After a little research, I read where Handbrake should be able to burn in the subtitles into the video fairly easily, but when I load the mkv into HB and click on the subtitle tab, I'm looking at an empty box and it's prompting me to ADD a subtitle. I don't see the 4 subtitle tracks that are in the file and I don't see the "burn in" and "forced only" boxes that other people are talking about. Can anyone help? Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try vidcoder(it's another handbrake gui) and see if it finds the subtitle in the mkv.

Or else try rip your blu-ray to a BDMV folder on your hdd with MakeMKV, then open the BDMV folder in Handbrake and see if finds the subtitle track you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In HandBrake normally when you hit the "Add Track" button (or use the arrow down -> Add New Track) on the Subtitle tab HB will add a track and you can use the drop-down menu for "Source" to select a subtitle track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HBPGS.jpg
Views:	1652
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	29866
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    In HandBrake normally when you hit the "Add Track" button (or use the arrow down -> Add New Track) on the Subtitle tab HB will add a track and you can use the drop-down menu for "Source" to select a subtitle track.

[Attachment 29866 - Click to enlarge]
    Aha!!!! I see it now. Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    In HandBrake normally when you hit the "Add Track" button (or use the arrow down -> Add New Track) on the Subtitle tab HB will add a track and you can use the drop-down menu for "Source" to select a subtitle track.

[Attachment 29866 - Click to enlarge]
    Ok. As a test, I selected the 3rd sub track (burn-in was already checked). I chose to create a file containing only chapter 2, since this is where the subtitles occur and to save time (full movie would take at least an hour). I selected the Apple TV 2 preset. The resulting file was small (180mb+/-?) and opened in wmp when I clicked on it on the desktop. It played fine and the subs worked as I wanted. Yay! I put the file on a thumb drive and plugged it into both my tv and blu ray players USB ports and neither saw the file. Booo! Both devices played the complete original mkv files fine from my portable HDD plugged up to USB ports. I'm guessing this is some sort of video authoring issue???
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the extension of the converted file is m4v try rename to mp4 (or select mkv in HandBrake)

Else give the make and model og the TV and Blu-Ray player and attach the MediaInfo (View -> Text) for the converted file. And you would probably be better of selecting Normal preset instead of Apple TV 2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    If the extension of the converted file is m4v try rename to mp4 (or select mkv in HandBrake)

Else give the make and model og the TV and Blu-Ray player and attach the MediaInfo (View -> Text) for the converted file. And you would probably be better of selecting Normal preset instead of Apple TV 2.
    Thanks! i'll try changing the extension when I get home. I went ahead and made it AppleTV because eventually I will change all of my files to that in order to play them through my network wirelessly to the Apple TV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!