VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Evening all,

Just giving MakeMKV a go to back up my inbetweeners 2 bluray to then convert to play on my tablet. I've got the disk in and clicked back up which has then created a backup folder. I'm not too familiar with Makemkv so was going to convert the backup with Freemake.

I wasn't sure which files I needed to use but have found a load of m2ts files in BDMV > STREAM which I was hoping to just drop into Freemake how ever I've not had any luck are these the files that I need or am I looking in the wrong folder. Any help would be great thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    In Backup mode, MakeMKV gives you a complete copy of the Blu-ray structure. The M2TS files within the Streams folder contain the video, audio and subtitles for the movie. Most of the time there will be one M2TS file that is much larger than the others, and this will be the main movie. However, there are many Blu-ray movies that use seamless branching, which means there will be a lot of M2TS files of a similar size and you won't be able to choose the main movie in this manner.

I don't use Freemake, so I don't have any idea how it handles input from Blu-ray. I use VidCoder, and with it, you can import the entire Blu-ray folder (this contains both the BDMV and Certificate folders). Handbrake can also use the root folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Since your eventual target is a portable device, in the future it might be easier for you to decrypt and rip the original movie as an MKV file. This should be simple to import into Freemake so that you can re-encode it to a smaller size, compatible for your tablet.

In MakeMKV, go to File-->Open disc. This process will give you an uncompressed copy of the movie in MKV format. You'll probably have to de-select smaller titles in the list that shows up. The main movie should be much larger and shows the number of chapters included.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 22nd Jan 2015 at 16:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the help folks I shall give both of those a go and see what happens. Cheers
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!