VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When Nvidia Content type reported to display setting is set to "AUTO-Select" and opening a video with MPC-HC or MPC BE it should change to the "Full-screen videos" setting when a video file is played. Instead it stays on the "Desktop programs" setting. MPC-HC or MPC BE does this correctly with only a few files I have. It works with some MP4 and MKV files and not others.

I've been using WMP 12 with LAV Filters before MPC-HC/MPC-BE and when you enter Full Screen mode while playing most MKV and MP4 files it would switch to "Full-screen videos" setting.

I spent a lot of time changing various render and video filter settings in MPC-HC but can't get it to work with all videos.

Having the player automatically switch this setting saves me time doing it manually each time I play a video. This allows my HDTV to get switch to it's video picture quality setting.

I'm using WIN 7 X64 with a GTX 295 ForceWare 340.52 and HDMI output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details on the Nvidia control panel Content type reported to the display setting:

1.This instruction applies to HDMI monitors (not treated as DVI) and GPUs that support AVI infoframes on Windows Vista and later.

To improve image quality based on the display content

From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Adjust desktop color settings to open the associated page.

If you have more than one HDTV connected through the HDMI connector, click the icon that corresponds to the HDTV that you want to change.

Click the Content type (ITC) reported to the display list arrow and then click one of the available options that determines the type of video content the driver reports to the display.

2.Content type (ITC) reported to the display: This setting applies to HDMI monitors (not treated as DVI) and GPUs that support AVI infoframes on Windows Vista and later. This setting determines the type of video content the driver reports to the display. The display will then use the appropriate video processing to achieve the best display quality.

3. Description:
    Determines the content type reported to the display. Some displays may apply their own image processing and filtering depending the content type. In Auto-Select (recommended) mode the graphics driver dynamically selects the content type based on usage. You can select a specific content type to see if it improves image quality.

Typical usage scenariios:
    .Desktop programes and text appear blurry
    .Colors do not appear quite right
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know the answer, but I assume the player doesn't communicate "fullscreen" with the video card as such. It'd be up to the video card to decide when the video is running full screen, if that makes sense.

Maybe that's completely wrong, but Nvidia drivers can be somewhat buggy. I'd possibly try testing some older/newer drivers unless someone with a more clever idea comes along. Is MPC-HC set to change the resolution or refresh rate when in full screen mode? If so, maybe the TV only pays attention to the content type at certain refresh rates. Just some guessing....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't have a problem with switching the video/application to Full Screen and "use auto change fullscreen monitor mode" enabled or disabled doesn't fix this problem.

I have LAV Video Decoder with default settings and have tried each Hardware Decoder: None, Nvidia CUVID, DXVA2 (copy-back) and DXVA (native). Enabling each one fixed the problem with some MKV and MP4 files but all of them. Nvidia CUVID worked the best.

A certain MKV file when played in WMP 12 would switch to "Full-screen videos" mode when it was put into Full Screen, while with MPC-HC and any hardware decoder enabled wouldn't. A certain MP4 file played in WMP 12 wouldn't switch to "full-screen videos" mode when it was put into Full Screen, while with MPC-HC and Nvidia CUVID(only this hardware decoder) would switch to "full-screen video" mode when it was played.

I should also note that when MPC-HC does switch to "Full-screen videos" mode it does this when the video file is opened and played and then switches back to "Desktop programs" mode when the video file is stopped or MPC-HC is closed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MUGEN02 View Post
    I should also note that when MPC-HC does switch to "Full-screen videos" mode it does this when the video file is opened and played and then switches back to "Desktop programs" mode when the video file is stopped or MPC-HC is closed.
    When you say "when MPC-HC does switch to "Full-screen videos" mode" I assume you're referring to MPC-HC running fullscreen, which in turn gets the video card to tell the TV to switch to some sort of video mode?

This instruction applies to HDMI monitors (not treated as DVI) and GPUs that support AVI infoframes on Windows Vista and later.
    I wonder if the "not treated as DVI" part has anything to do with it. If you look in the resolution section of the Nvidia control panel, it should show the type of connection. If it shows it as HDMI, you should be right. I think if you're connected to a non HD display it's treated as DVI, while HD displays are treated as HDMI. If you're using one of the resolution/refresh rates in the PC list rather than the TV list that might make a difference.

The TV's not ever in some sort of "PC mode" is it? That'd probably get it ignoring any content type changes.

Personally I think it's probably just a driver problem. It's probably up to the drivers to detect when a video is running fullscreen and for some reason it's not working reliably.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!