VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I went back to a previous thread I started on this topic and saw myself say that I had used AVStoDVD last time I tried this.

The difference then was I was using an AVI source. All the demuxing and such aside,
    the file format or source may be a problem with this job.

I'll take another swing at it tomorrow. But is there some other file massaging to do to prepare the source TS?

Is there some master AVStoDVD thread wherein frequent questions arise? That Baldrick
    one how-to does not appear to be such a source.

Once I know that the TS original should be the source, I can make another stab at it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, it's a 'sticky' thread in this same forum:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread

I was wondering if it accepts TS files as input myself. You could ask there, or just try it and find out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Hmmm. All this file alphabet soup again /.../ And where is it? All this should not be so opaque /.../ And why all the hippity hop around in programs with AVStoDVD? If others had to go through this they would give it a zero rating.
    Remember when I said "I suspect that some people authoring software in this field, either like to complicate things out of general spitefulness, or don't really know what they're doing." earlier in this thread?

Man, I've been in your shoes more times than I care to remember. There has got to be a way to simplify this process and write a truly user-friendly interface for all the internal goings-on (the hippity-hopping).

The reason it is now often a stroke-inducing exercise in futility (not to mention the time wasted) must simply be that DVD authoring and video manipulation is not of 'mainstream' interest, not something many people do.

Ordinary people would never put up with this esoteric mumbo-jumbo, it's just us geeks/enthusiasts;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer geek.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	30927

PS: As for finding files on your computer regardless of where they hide I warmly recommend the Everything search engine from Voidtools, http://www.voidtools.com/ If it doesn't find a file then it's not on your system.
    Last edited by VenusAndMars; 29th Mar 2015 at 03:46. Reason: Tip
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yes, it's a 'sticky' thread in this same forum:

I was wondering if it accepts TS files as input myself. You could ask there, or just try it and find out.
    AVStoDVD accepts TS files. I just tried opening two of my TV captures in TS format, one MPEG-2 and the other H.264.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. All this file alphabet soup again.

I believe I can go back and find the original TS file. This was the original. I think it was a screen cap. Even that has some rough spots. That is my starting point.

Back in AVStoDVD.

Muxman and all that ran in AVStoDVD. What is the completed file in AVStoDVD called and how to get it into Imgburn (which I don't like either.) And where is it? All this should not be so opaque.

And why all the hippity hop around in programs with AVStoDVD? If others had to go through
    this they would give it a zero rating. I mentioned that there was an error when it hopped out to DOS at command to run an audio encode. I'm not going to try to reconstruct any of that.

Lets just start over and no one say how easy it is. And don't say "basically".

That guide you showed is different from the author's. It looks straighforward enough. However I prefer to go step by step here to avoid more gotchas.
    Muxman's output (the usual DVD files and folders) is placed in a folder named DVD_0, DVD_1, etc. Look in your Video Library or Documents Library for it. I think one of those is the default location used by AVStoDVD. There should be a matching log in the same location.

Most authoring programs require DVD compliant sources for input because all they do is author, but DVD Flick, DVD Styler and AVStoDVD do more than just author DVDs. They convert non-DVD complaint video and audio to be DVD compliant. The conversion part is where you are most likely to run into trouble with these programs. Errors in the source are a likely cause for problems. Many of my TV captures in TS format contain errors. If I want to make a DVD from them, I do need to correct the errors first (with VideoReDo) before authoring with AVStoDVD.

It is typical for free software to use other free software to perform various functions. The idea there is not to re-invent the wheel if you don't have to. If that approach bothers you, there are paid programs which are more unified. ConvertXtoDVD ($40 on sale now) is a popular one.

AVStoDVD may not seem like an easy program to you, but trust me, it would be a lot harder for you to to figure out how to do the conversions that it does automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  6. All good tips. It's a rainy day here and I'll play around with it and possibly use that TS repair tool you mention before engaging AVStoDVD .

When those background programs are running (much like Auto Gordian Knot) they should not be showing their DOS screens and such. Trying to figure out the errors in those is tough.

And it's good that I now know I might be banging away on a damaged TS original content file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All good tips. It's a rainy day here and I'll play around with it and possibly use that TS repair tool you mention before engaging AVStoDVD .
    The TS "repair tool" I mentioned is a specialty editor for MPEG-2 (VideoRedoPlus at $50) or MPEG-2 + H.264 (VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 at $100) and there is no free alternative as far as I know.

When those background programs are running (much like Auto Gordian Knot) they should not be showing their DOS screens and such. Trying to figure out the errors in those is tough.
    That is one reason why the log files that I mentioned exist. Save them if you can't figure out the problem and want help from _MrC_, AVStoDVD's author.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    What is the completed file in AVStoDVD called
    I've no idea as I've never used it. Somewhere there should be a VIDEO_TS file with the VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs inside. If you've installed ImgBurn and checked a box, AvsToDVD will also burn the DVD to disc for you. Many like to check out the DVD before then burning it to disc manually. Again, there are guides:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/353284-AVStoDVD-beginners-guide-Any-video-to-DVD-Video

If others had to go through this they would give it a zero rating.
    There are many pleased users of the program. If you run into problems there's a dedicated thread where you can ask.
    I found the support thread for those reading here:

It is dauntingly long.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Starting over, I have the original huge TS file ready to work on-- all 6+ Gb of it.

Can this be dragged and dropped into AVStoDVD or is there more file manipulation (video-ts and so on) necessary beforehand?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Starting over, I have the original huge TS file ready to work on-- all 6+ Gb of it.

Can this be dragged and dropped into AVStoDVD or is there more file manipulation (video-ts and so on) necessary beforehand?
    How much effort is it to drag and drop a file to find out for yourself if it will be accepted? It isn't as though you will break the computer just by doing that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's having another whirl. This time with the original TS file of 6+ Gb.

I used the following settings just from the menu without consulting any guide:

Open AVStoDVD

Load myfile.TS by drag and drop from desktop

Set DVD sisize as 5
    Output set to Burn DVD
    Set menu at default

The START button lower right I confused with something from Imgburn, so Start...

FFMPEG runs

HCenc is running now

I have a dvd loaded in the burner.

That brings me up to date.

The install process should have put Imgburn where AVStoDVD wanted it.
    I'll expect a burned DVD from this procedure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    While Avstodvd can (I think) automatically burn the authored dvd for you - you have to change the output setting before you 'start' - that is not the way most people would do it.

You would want to test that dvd first in a software player such as vlc before you commit to disk.

So most would leave the output setting at default (dvd folders), test, and then burn the folder(s) separately with imgburn
    Quote Quote  
  13. Too late for tears on changing the output.

This update:

After 4 hours for two passes in HCenc another sub program opened called DGPuldown
    and is executing.

The blank black DOD screen just says processessing please wait.

No taskbar or anything to give some idea of how long it will take.
    I will let it run from 8:45 pm to .... (will give it a couple hours since I'm this far.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. DGPulldown
    MPEG2 Flagging and
    Timecode Utility

Even if I quit this, I should have an encoded file after 4 hours in the Video directory. Or not?
    Quote Quote  
  15. After an hour (see above) Muxman started up. At least this one has a progress bar.
    Quote Quote  
  16. DGPulldown took an hour? It should take maybe 5-10 minutes. Either your computer is a real dog or there's a lot going on in the background that's slowing everything down.
    Quote Quote  
  17. AVStoDVD *Authoring DVD" seems stuck at 99% put I'm letting it go.... about a half hour so far.

Imgburn started after the half hour mark and writing seems to be taking place....

AVStoDVD reports completion in it's own window showing a time of 5 hrs 53 mins.

I haven't tried the dvd yet but will do that tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Today I proofed the disk made from AVStoDVD.

It's probably new thread time or purchase new double sided media time. My explanation
    won't be long:

The sound for this 2 hr 23 min. content is noticeably not in sync. VLC, if running
    from the computer, has keys where you can add time or delete time (while viewing) on the track to make the voice and picture come together

But in a stand- alone player this cannot be done.

I suspect that the long time needed for this job was due to compression for the selection
    of the standard DVD5 format (which is the only kind I currently have.)

If I redid this simply by changing the DVD5 size to DVD9 (dual layer) would that, to anyone's knowledge, allow for audio to be in sync?

I will take the advice from above and run the job as a disk folder file (rather than a straight burn to DVD) in order to preview with the DVD9 option selected.

As to my media computer, it's an older Biostar with a 3 core AMD. Viewing the task while running showed all three cores in use.

This has not been an all bad experience. The peculiar nature of the job did produce results.
    But those results may have been effected by the large size of the file and the standard media DVD size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect the audio sync issue is to do with the way avstodvd has attempted to deal with the .ts file. Compression from dual-layer to single layer should not create sync issues in itself.

Was that in full sync before you attempted the dvd conversion ?

Maybe I missed it but I did not read anything about the structure of the .ts - you might try demuxing that to elementary streams before authouring (just a thought)
    Quote Quote  
  20. @ loninappleton

Do you still have the project log file of the DVD-5 out-of-sync attempt?
    You should find it in the output folder.
    Post it here, it contains useful hints about the TS input file and the project steps.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I suspect the audio sync issue is to do with the way avstodvd has attempted to deal with the .ts file. Compression from dual-layer to single layer should not create sync issues in itself.

Was that in full sync before you attempted the dvd conversion ?

Maybe I missed it but I did not read anything about the structure of the .ts - you might try demuxing that to elementary streams before authouring (just a thought)
    I will try new things but MuxMan took a long run during the initial job.

Are we talking about the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    @ loninappleton

Do you still have the project log file of the DVD-5 out-of-sync attempt?
    You should find it in the output folder.
    Post it here, it contains useful hints about the TS input file and the project steps.

Bye

What is the file extension for the log?

Files are supposed to be stored in C:\users\myname\VIDEO

But in Win7 I didn't seem to be able to track down the location VIDEO. I didn't see it when opening the myname user folder which is simply 'lon'.

Unless all files are deleted after the job? If that was an option under save job or something, I may have deleted to save disk space.

I'll not do play by play today but FFMpeg is doing a frame by frame routine in my second attempt. We won't count the other scrubbed attempts.

.... time passes....

I have found the log file with the right date as DVD_3.log It is a notepad file which is quite long. It contains descriptive information; proper names etc which videohelp may object to.
    Advise on if I should copy it in here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No Muxman muxes ie imports video and audio in to one file. A demux is the opposite ie it separates video and audio from a container as in your case a .ts file.

As _MrC_ suggests, upload the log here either as copy/paste or as an attachment.
    Quote Quote  
  24. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I love DVD Flick. I'm sure most members here prefer AVStoDVD, but I find DVD Flick much more versatile and with a more intuitive and clear interface.

P.S. Also love the fact that it doesn't require the installation of any DirectShow filters!
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I love DVD Flick. I'm sure most members here prefer AVStoDVD, but I find DVD Flick much more versatile and with a more intuitive and clear interface.

P.S. Also love the fact that it doesn't require the installation of any DirectShow filters!
    I believe I had success with it in the past but quite a while ago.

I have made lots of notes on the current run (second full attempt). Will do that in a followup.

Since AVStoDVD has made a proper VOB set for this content, I put it in AutoGordian Knot
    as I am used to. Once done the .AVI made by AGK may be more suited to getting a good
    DVD made with Flick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Oh my. Not a good idea at all.

You will create a highly compressed avi (xVID or Divx) from the vobset and then intend to create more vobs from that thus compressing again. Net result is a large loss in quality.

I do not know what mpeg2 encoder DVD Flick uses but avstodvd has a choice and these are very good.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

I believe I had success with it in the past but quite a while ago.

I have made lots of notes on the current run (second full attempt). Will do that in a followup.

Since AVStoDVD has made a proper VOB set for this content, I put it in AutoGordian Knot
    as I am used to. Once done the .AVI made by AGK may be more suited to getting a good
    DVD made with Flick.
    Making an AVI with AGK is a waste of your time and will cause a lesser quality result. You have a VOB from AVStoDVD. The VOB should be enough to make a DVD. If the only problem is out of sync audio and it is off by a constant amount throughout, there is a way to fix it that does not require re-encoding the video again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD made with Flick.
    Let me get this... You converted your content to DVD-Video using AVStoDVD. Then you're going to convert it to AVI with AutoGK, and convert it again to DVD-Video using DVD Flick? Boy, what a mess

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do not know what mpeg2 encoder DVD Flick uses but avstodvd has a choice and these are very good.
    It uses ffmpeg.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well I'm not totally understanding what all these background programs are doing.

If we concentrate on what AVStoDVD has made which appears _not_ to have the audio sync problem I will follow the steps suggested. VLV plays the first VOB of the set with little noticeable sync problem.

Examining the log from yesterday's run and one today, the ac3 audio portion of the earlier
    job (I have to avoid words like encode) showed a Delay=1. But that 1
    had to be pretty long. We're talking about way out of sync, not just a bit of lip movement.

If doing it the test way today is just going to degrade then I'm ready to listen to
    how to re-sync the ac3 file. I've played that back in audio only and it is all there. One error that appeared was audio = 0. So something is not coming together.

The job file after HCenc runs was 8GB. The Vob files are .9 Gb each.

Will I still need DVD9 media to make a playable disk? A regular DVD is 4.3 Gb or something close.

By now I should have some files to work with that AVStoDVD will eventually understand.
    It is the better and more flexible program.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm not totally understanding what all these background programs are doing.

If we concentrate on what AVStoDVD has made which appears _not_ to have the audio sync problem I will follow the steps suggested. VLV plays the first VOB of the set with little noticeable sync problem.

Examining the log from yesterday's run and one today, the ac3 audio portion of the earlier
    job (I have to avoid words like encode) showed a Delay=1. But that 1
    had to be pretty long. We're talking about way out of sync, not just a bit of lip movement.

If doing it the test way today is just going to degrade then I'm ready to listen to
    how to re-sync the ac3 file. I've played that back in audio only and it is all there. One error that appeared was audio = 0. So something is not coming together.

The job file after HCenc runs was 8GB. The Vob files are .9 Gb each.

Will I still need DVD9 media to make a playable disk? A regular DVD is 4.3 Gb or something close.

By now I should have some files to work with that AVStoDVD will eventually understand.
    It is the better and more flexible program.
    I don't think you don't understand what Delay=1 and Audio=0 in the log means. You need _MrC_'s help to interpret the log, but since you won't post the log for some reason, he can't do that.

You have an 8GB DVD because it is necessary to provide AVStoDVD with the capacity of the media that you want to use, either DVD5 or DVD9, to get a size appropriate for that media. It appears the setting used was DVD9. If so yes you do need DVD+R DL media to burn the DVD files you have, preferably some from Verbatim.

Correcting a constant a/v sync problem is possible. In general terms, you would need to join the VOBs for the title you want to correct, demultiplex the audio and video and use Muxman, IFOEdit or another program that allows specifying the audio delay when setting up the demultiplexed files for authoring. After reading your though your posts, I now understand that this procedure is probably more than you can handle.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Mar 2015 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!