VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. What is the future of Windows? I do not follow that type of stuff at all. My wife bought a computer recently that has Windows 8(touch screen all in one comp). Windows 8 is horrible, and seems they can't even give it away it is such a flop. Funny Windows 7 costs more, and companies that prebuild computers charge more for having Windows 7 installed.

Anyway, did some research, and found I do not need all the bells and whistles that come with the more expensive Gigabyte mobo.
    Going with the MB-Z97-D3H, and the QVL Corsair Vengance Ram according to QVL, which was the RAM I initially had, but was going with the other one for the Red color scheme.
    Getting a Samsung Evo 850 250GB for OS and programs.
    WD Black 1TB for Storage
    Dropping down to the Kraken x41 for CPU cooling.

In my experience, livesteaming to twitch, while using the Elgato HD60 game capture, and Open Broadcast Software for setup of stream, all at the same time, is pretty CPU intensive(no dedicated GPU). Elgato has flashback recording, and is always keeping the last Hour on the hard drive, so the disk is being written to as well.
    So, If needed, I could always upgrade the cooling to the x61 and use the x41 along with the Kraken G10 GPU cooler
    if experiencing issues with GPU temps/ect.

I have a WD external 5TB allready, and another 1TB WD External.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 will be the replacement for Windows 8.X. It is supposed to address the major complaints people have with Windows 8.X. haven't tried Windows 10 yet. I have to buy an HDD for installing it first.

I have been using Windows 8.X since the customer preview. Installing a Start Menu replacement like Classic Shell or Start 8!, setting it up to boot into the desktop, and changing the default file associations to something better than the Windows 8 Apps makes it much less annoying. I'm OK with the flat look, but it is possible to skin Windows 8.X to look more like Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you decide to go with the Gigabyte Z97-D3H be sure to check the BIOS version and update the BIOS to F7 or newer if needed. You might find it helpful to read this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

[Edit] I found another less expensive motherboard that might be worth looking at, the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5. It has a mix of solid and electrolytic caps but is supposed to be a bit better for overclocking than the Z97-D3H.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Feb 2015 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Think I will go with that GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5. For around the same price point, like the onboard sound options, as well as the color matches the case I am getting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Regarding the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 mobo...
    The NZXT Kraken animated directions call for connecting the 3 pin to CPU_Power.
    On this mobo, I am guessing that would be CPU_Fan header.

Have most parts, currently doing build. Waiting on two 200mm fans for top, two 120mm for bottom,
    and one 140mm for side. New desk coming in on same day as well. Should be here tomorrow.

Only thing bothering me is that the MSI GTX 970 is orientated with fan side down, so, you wont be able
    to see its looks.
    Last edited by DozerMayne; 10th Feb 2015 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DozerMayne View Post
    Regarding the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 mobo...
    The NZXT Kraken animated directions call for connecting the 3 pin to CPU_Power.
    On this mobo, I am guessing that would be CPU_Fan header.
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In Premiere Pro CS6 project,
    Project>Project Settings>General
    Mercury Playback Engine is greyed out.

Some of my video files are H.264 and show red in timeline.
    What do I need to do in order to get H.264 acceleration?
    What do I need to do in order to get GPU acceleration?

My Comp Build PC Parts Picker: (not the prices I paid, or where I purchased)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LZKxP6

Additional:
    2) Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 - Sleeve Bearing 200mm Red LED Silent Fan
    One up front, and One up top.
    COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP Case Fan - Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072

2) 120mm for bottom(using red rings of course)
    Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition CO-9050006-WW
    120mm Twin Pack High Static Pressure Case Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181025

1) 140mm for side panel
    Corsair Air Series AF140 CO-9050017-RLED 140mm Red LED
    Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181051

I will be doing a full photo shoot soon, as well as all the pics of the build, when I get some time.
    Here are some quick shots...
    The computer is fully setup, just have to install some
    other programs. The computer will not be on that glass table, it will be going under the desk on its platform.
    I have some rubber feet that its stock feet will be sitting on, bringing the bottom up 2 inches more in height.
    The Dell Inspiron music production computer is on the left, under the desk, peeking out under the chair.
    This is a finished basement. 25'x13'x8'. Acoustically tuned and treated by me using acoustic measurement equipment
    that I have. Setup for mixing/mastering audio, and vocal recording can be done anywhere, but I have a place for that as well.

Floor to ceiling corner bass traps with 32" face, wall and ceiling panels, front wall custom built @ 9" thick.

Last edited by DozerMayne; 13th Feb 2015 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Nice!

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DozerMayne I don't use CS6 so I can't help you configure it to use GPU acceleration. ...but I want to congratulate you on your first build. You did a fine job with cable management, and it looks great in your studio. I'm looking forward seeing to more pictures. How did the overclocking go?

[Edit]Consider starting a new thread to get help with your CS6 configuration problems.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Feb 2015 at 16:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DozerMayne View Post
    In Premiere Pro CS6 project,
    Project>Project Settings>General
    Mercury Playback Engine is greyed out.

Some of my video files are H.264 and show red in timeline.
    What do I need to do in order to get H.264 acceleration?
    What do I need to do in order to get GPU acceleration?

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5-2.htm
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks julitomg. I had seen that, but was wary.
    I tried it, and it worked. Using the Automatic method.
    The program worked great.
    Before I ran the program that adds my card to the file list:
    I did a test of exporting a .mts file to .mp4 1080p with certain settings, that was 30 seconds long on timeline.
    Took 47 seconds to export.

I then closed Premiere Pro CS6 and ran the program to add my card to the list.
    I WAS ABLE TO SELECT GPU ACCELERATION...YAAAAAY!
    Ran the same test, exact same settings.
    Took 6 seconds to export!

So, no doubt..works awesome!

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
    I am going to be getting another SSD.
    Should have thought about this sooner...

Elgato Game Capture software has a function called "Flashback Recording".
    It is always recording, and at a certain point, begins to erase/overwrite old footage.
    This is so you can go back and get clips from gameplay without worrying about hitting the
    record button. You can disable it. Not used during livestream.
    It records to a buffer(on the hard disk, and some in RAM).
    Resource monitor shows constant hard disk activity as it is writing.
    So, using an SSD would be better because of how much it is used.
    Last edited by DozerMayne; 14th Feb 2015 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by citana View Post
    I'm willing to make up a parts list for a non-over-clocked build for you to look at.
    Why non-overclocked?

If you want value for money you should always overclock.
    But obviously only within reason.

If you overclock and can run Prime 95 for a couple of hours you can be pretty sure your system is stable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by citana View Post
    I'm willing to make up a parts list for a non-over-clocked build for you to look at.
    Why non-overclocked?

If you want value for money you should always overclock.
    But obviously only within reason.

If you overclock and can run Prime 95 for a couple of hours you can be pretty sure your system is stable.
    It's a bot or a spammer quoting my earlier post in this thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369645-This-Computer-Good-For-Video-Editing?p=23692...=1#post2369278 LOL
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!