VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hallo,
    I have a problem with a DVB-T Stick. The Stick has a USB 2.0 interface und the computer USB 3.0. Normally, this connection should work. But I use Windows 8.1/ 32. When I scan the frequencies, the computer freezes, if the stick is connected to a USB 3.0 port. If I use a USB 2.0 port, the stick works normally.
    Problem no. 2 is, that my new notebook has only one USB port, and this is USB 3.0.
    Problem no. 3 is, that the problem occurs with two different sticks.
    Does anybody know, how to fix this? Or: Does anybody know a DVB-T stick, that works 100% with USB 3.0 and Windows 8.1?
    Thank you!
    Rainer
    PS: Please excuse my poor English.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2.

Assuming the sticks are good (ie: they have been tested in another computer), the problem is likely driver related. When I've seen this issue in the past, the USB3 drivers were buggy.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by miepel View Post
    When I scan the frequencies, the computer freezes...
    A) The scanning takes time.
    B) The freezing is most likely your card taking over low level interrupts.

What brand and model is your tuner card? Is it certified for windows 8?

By the way, why Windows 8 32 bit?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The sticks are not certified for Windows 8.1, because they are too old. Both sticks use different chipsets and work with USB 2.0 ports without any problem. Connected to USB 3.0, both sticks fail.
    Windows 8.1/ 32 was preinstalled on my Odys tablet with keyboard. In the meantime I tried the sticks in my office. Same story. USB 3.0 ports fail with the sticks (Win 8.1/ 64).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    The sticks are not certified for Windows 8.1, because they are too old. Both sticks use different chipsets and work with USB 2.0 ports without any problem. Connected to USB 3.0, both sticks fail.
    Windows 8.1/ 32 was preinstalled on my Odys tablet with keyboard. In the meantime I tried the sticks in my office. Same story. USB 3.0 ports fail with the sticks (Win 8.1/ 64).
    Well time perhaps to get something better?

Are these like $10 sticks?
    If so then to me that falls in the category cheap crap.

Quote Quote  
  6. One of the TV-sticks (Digittrade) was quite expensive.
    I'd like to buy a new stick, but here in Germany I can't find any DVB-T USB stick, that is certified for Win 8 AND USB 3.0.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the TV-sticks (Digittrade) was quite expensive.
    I'd like to buy a new stick, but here in Germany I can't find any DVB-T USB stick, that is certified for Win 8 AND USB 3.0.
    I haven't seen any TV sticks that provide any information about USB 3.0 compatibility in their specs. Since the TV sticks that you have don't work with USB 3.0 on other computers, the only thing you can do is to try to find something newer with Windows 8.x compatibility and hope for the best. I went to AverMedia's Global Website, Terratec's website and Hauppauge's UK website. All have good reputations and list several DVB-T TV tuner sticks as compatible with Windows 8.

However, given that this is a Windows 8 tablet, an inherently low-power device that runs off batteries, one possibility is that not enough power is available for a TV tuner stick. If that is the case there is not much you can do about it. [Edit]For example, does your tablet have any trouble with USB 3.0 hard drives that are powered by USB 3.0 only?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jan 2015 at 13:53. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  8. The power consumtion oft the sticks is quite low. And the error (if connected to a USB 3.0) is exactly the same with my tablet, a Lenovo notebook and a conventional pc. I have read on another webside, that there is a kind of workaround. The solution for some users is to exchange the Windows 8.1 USB driver with the Windows 7 USB driver. But I don't want do change any OS data without any offical documentation. I would expect new problems with other USB devices.
    So, please let me know, if you find DVB-T sticks, that are compatible with USB 3.0 and Windows 8.1.
    Thank you!
    PS: I Think, there is no further improvement in DVB-T USB sticks in Germany, because there will come a new standard (DVB-T2). The new standard would be even better for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, please let me know, if you find DVB-T sticks, that are compatible with USB 3.0 and Windows 8.1.
    Thank you!
    PS: I Think, there is no further improvement in DVB-T USB sticks in Germany, because there will come a new standard (DVB-T2). The new standard would be even better for me.
    If you want guaranteed USB 3.0 compatibility then you will have to wait for a DVB-T2 stick with a USB 3.0 interface, and that isn't likely to happen any time soon. USB 2.0 provides sufficient bandwidth for these devices, and USB 3.0 is more expensive than USB 2.0.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jan 2015 at 22:25. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!