VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I recently purchased a Samsung BD-H5500 blu Ray player which is locked to region 2.

I'm having difficulty playing other regions ie/ region 0 discs and was wondering if anyone has an unlock code for this to enable me to play other regions ....... I've searched the net but couldn't find anything !

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Lee
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The basic rule is this - if you want region free, DO NOT buy Samsung or Sony.

That's why you can't find a code - one doesn't exist. It's Samsung.

For future reference, the days of buying a player in a store and being unable to unlock it at home by entering a code are over. Even Philips has started making more and more players that can't be unlocked and some years ago there was a time when it was almost impossible to find a Philips player that couldn't be unlocked. If you need region free, the only safe thing to do any more is to buy from an online reseller who has modified the hardware to make the player region free. Even Sony and Samsung can be made region free that way. But it costs more because you have to pay for the extra hardware and the installation of it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks ....... I have found some sites that have codes for some samsungs but not mine thanks for your help

Lee
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    even if there is a code for your bluray player, it'll only be for the dvd side of the player. there are very few unlocks for
    the bluray side of a bluray player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok cheers ...... I thought because the disc was region 0 that it would work my error ....... Will have to make sure that any discs I buy are region 2 until I get a new player ...... Thanks again

Lee
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lee2015 View Post
    Ok cheers ...... I thought because the disc was region 0 that it would work my error .......
    Region 0 DVD SHOULD work. So that was not an incorrect assumption. If they are PAL video then sometimes in NTSC countries like the USA, our players can't play them or our TVs can't display the video correctly, but in the UK you should be able to play any NTSC or PAL DVD that is region 0. Not sure what is going on, but you're making a really strong case to not ever buy Samsung players again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that's what I thought tbh, with it being a region 0 ........ I get the writing coming up at the beginning etc then my TV screen goes blue saying " 3d tv detected " and gives me the option of 3d or 2d ........ Then a lot of flickering occurs and that's all !!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My TV btw if this helps is a Toshiba Regza
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What's the DVD/BluRay in question and WHICH is it - DVD or BluRay? Is it 3D if it's BluRay?

For what it's worth, I've got a US Samsung 3D BluRay player. I can't unlock mine either, but I bought it cheaply specifically for 3D BluRay movies. I have another BluRay player that is unlocked. Anyway, I've got a small number of all region 3D BluRays I bought from Amazon UK and they play fine on my player. Please note that numbers are only correct when talking about DVD regions. BluRay uses a letter system of A,B,C so the BluRay equivalent of a region 0 DVD is to call it an "all region BluRay". Technically speaking, there is no "region 0" for BluRay discs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a 3d blu Ray disc for my daughter ( kylie minogue Aphrodite concert ) ..... There are 2 discs in the case , 1 is Just blu Ray ( which I've not tried yet ) and the one in question is the blu Ray 3d disc

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the disc as it was " region free " so I assumed it would play ��
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Lee2015 View Post
    It's a 3d blu Ray disc for my daughter ( kylie minogue Aphrodite concert ) ..... There are 2 discs in the case , 1 is Just blu Ray ( which I've not tried yet ) and the one in question is the blu Ray 3d disc

Thanks
    Try the other disc. Toshiba Regza are only 2D TVs. They are not capable of displaying 3D content.
    Your player can play it, but your tv can't display it.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 15th Jan 2015 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a TOSHIBA REGZA 42VL863 which is a 3d TV , other 3d discs play fine it's just this particular one
    Quote Quote  
  14. Bad disc? They do happen occasionally. You could try asking for a replacement.
    Do you know anyone else whose system can play 3D content?
    Try it on theirs and see if it plays ok.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 15th Jan 2015 at 15:13.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can the player be connected to the internet ?? it may require an firmware update in order to play newer bluray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How would I do that ? I could connect it to my laptop via an Ethernet cable ....... But as you can see lol I'm a novice so don't really know what I'm doing ....... I have seen an option for software upgrade on the player
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would I just connect to laptop then select upgrade ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to consult the the manual for details on how to upgrade the firmware. The procedure varies. Many Blu-Ray players can connect directly to wired Ethernet, WiFi, or both to receive updates. Most players can also be updated via a file downloaded to a PC and then burned to optical media of some kind or copied to a USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Thanks
    You may be making invalid assumptions. Look here at Amazon UK to their listing for this BluRay:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kylie-Aphrodite-Folies-London-Blu-ray/dp/B005N1E8A4/ref=sr_1_1...ogue+Aphrodite

Look at Region. It says: A/1. That's the USA/Canada. Also, look at the user reviews. Many report problems and as a bonus, the 3D and regular BluRay discs are mislabeled, at least in the USA/Canada version.

If you really bought a zone A disc, yeah, I can understand why it won't work you. Typical of Samsung. Like I said, I have a Samsung 3D BluRay player and mine won't play discs from any other zones than A and regions than 1. Also, no PAL video support at all, not even for all zone or all region discs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The discs are definitely region 0, it's says 1 x 3d blu Ray and 1 x 2d blu ray
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	29752  

Click image for larger version

Views:	397
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	29753  

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried the 2d disc and this works perfect ! It's just the 3d one
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what happens on playing it
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	471
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	29754  

Click image for larger version

Views:	476
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	29755  

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I try to click on 3d, but it just keeps coming back to same screen and disc is running
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd guess that the 3D disc is defective. I only looked quickly at reviews on Amazon but there were quality control complaints and at least one report of a defective disc on the first page of reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Try it on another system. If it doesn't play, get a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quick update - I've managed to do the software update via usb which was successful but still doesn't play so looks like it is defective as you have stated
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The discs are definitely region 0, it's says 1 x 3d blu Ray and 1 x 2d blu ray
    I may be a bit late but still. The disks are not region 0. They are Bluray, so regions are A, B or C. Also by looking at the disks on the pictures, the 0 is not the region but the rating. The content is rated age 0 (FSK 0 freigegeben), so suitable for everybody. Your disks come from Germany (even if the packaging may be English).
    Also, while the 3D disk appears to be Bluray, the 2D seems to be a DVD, thus region 0.
    Last edited by ixul; 22nd Apr 2015 at 06:11.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!