VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've just purchased the TV show mentalist series and am trying to back up the disks to MKV files. It doesn't work. I'm getting no video and garbled audio.

I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of 0.10 and the latest nightly builds. I;ve downloaded several copies of libdvdcss-2.dll

If I leave the filename as libdvdcss-2.dll (as suggested on some forums posts) it crashes handbrake when adding to the queue. If I rename it to libdvdcss.dll I can add the job and run the rip, but as I said, the output is useless.

The results are the same for 32 and 64 bit rips.

I'm getting this error "Device A:\ inaccessible, CSS authentication not available." even with libdvdcss

I could use DVDFab but it rips only at 720x400 (instead of 720x576), and the quality is not that good, even on high quality settings.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Image Attached Files
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Rip the entire disc to the hard drive without converting anything. DVDFab can do this. So can many other decryption programs. Then convert with Handbrake.

Or use MakeMKV to rip directly to mkv files. It will decrypt and repackage to mkv format without re-encoding anything. File sizes will be fairly large, and you will still have mpeg2 video inside the mkv files. If you want H264 and smaller files, re-encode these with Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the speedy reply. Gosh so simple, I wish I'd thought of it
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!