VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Sony DCR -HC46 camcoder (2005). I had been using Maxell Mini DV tapes (Red ones from Costsco. Last couple of years I have switched to the Bulue Sony MiniDV tapes from Walmart.
    Recently I was trying to convert my tapes to AVI files & noticed some of the tapes had Audio Breakages. Thought may be I did not store them properly.
    Today I noticed on a brand new tape, I recodered someting and noticed 2 audio break. Video is fine.
    What's going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Way back when I was using the minidv tapes with my sony minidv cam the only ones that worked well were the expensive sony premium tapes. Not even sure if there made anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you think I should use a head cleaner? if so what kind should I use for DCR-HC46 cam?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tarana View Post
    Do you think I should use a head cleaner? if so what kind should I use for DCR-HC46 cam?
    you should always be cleaning the head in your camera with a tape head cleaner, i used to run mine for 30 seconds after every 2nd or 3rd shoot.

I can only suggest Panasonic because all 6 DV tape cams i have ever owned were Panasonics (a short stint using a canon XL2) so i always used the Panasonic tapes and head cleaners.

Not sure if that is going to fix your audio problem tho ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    B & H still sells the Sony Premium miniDV tapes.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have had this camcorder since 2005. Always used new tapes - taped around 100. On a total I may have played 50 tapes.
    Have never cleaned the head even once, but the camera was handled well.

So I am hoping cleaning the head may resolve the audio issue, so I can use the camcorder to convert my tapes to AVI.
    Only issue is I have tapes that are from different Makes - some Sony & some Maxwell that I need to convert to AVI.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!