VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What video tool would be used to reduce the size of a captured stream (via broadcast)
    with the file spec above as 1080i.h264-NX.ts?

I'm not used to seeing the .ts file extension at all. How can it be massaged into a smaller size
    at a lower resolution appropriate for viewing on the old CRT in a reasonable size?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Handbrake will work fine -- reduce the bitrate, and if your CRT is standard def you can reduce the raster size. What device are you planning to use to play it back? Computer, Media player...?
    Quote Quote  
  3. VLC is what I normally use on a desktop older AMD 3 core.

I've used Handbrake and it's redesigned sibling VidCoder because it allows me use lower resolution of the program (it can ise Mr. Magoo icons) rather than higher. And low res seems to work very well on CRT as many stream rips will attest. I'm quite amazed at what can be done in a 500mb size for 45 mins. But the really tiny size files which some put out (190 mb or so for 45 mins.) are still beyond what I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to videohelp on this. Handbrake worked fine to reduce the size of the .ts file

It loaded without problem and showed a quality of 20. I reduced it (by raising the index) to 26 and that got the size down to a respectable length for two hours of content.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Thanks to videohelp on this. Handbrake worked fine to reduce the size of the .ts file

It loaded without problem and showed a quality of 20. I reduced it (by raising the index) to 26 and that got the size down to a respectable length for two hours of content.
    What options allow this to work for you? I have the same similar problem (large .ts file that I need to reduce the bitrate and nothing else, and output to .ts file), but I'm not able to get a suitable output. Are you using the Command-Line version? If so, what command-line options did you use to do this? i.e. what is your final command-line string?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello KyleRoss.

I do not know command line technique and have no special command line instructions that I can recall.

One of the pros here may be able to answer.

When Handbrake reports the Quality on it's slider, re-saving at a higher (meaning lower in this strange usage) should give a smaller file size.

If I'm not mistaken, recent releases of Vidcoder straightened this problem out.

It's at least worth a look. Vidcoder uses the Handbrake core but has modified the
    screen interface for better readability at low resolutions and function. There is a help forum for it as well.

Vidcoder homepage at Codeplex:

https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!