VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. aloha!

I'm new to dvdauthor (dvdauthor.sourceforge.net/), but I want to use it to create some autoplay DVDs, no menus. I'm trying to keep it simple, but I want chapters every 5 minutes. The following control XML produces a VIDEO_TS folder that plays, but I can't skip from chapter to chapter, and I can't scrub the timeline:

<dvdauthor dest="newfolder">
    <vmgm />
    <titleset>
    <titles>
    <video format="ntsc" aspect="4:3" />
    <pgc>
    <vob file="Test.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,10:00,15:00,20:00" />
    </pgc>
    </titles>
    </titleset>
    </dvdauthor>

Am I missing something in the XML? Or is there something that I need to be doing for the .mpg?
    Test.mpg was created with ffmpeg, like so:
    ffmpeg -i Test.m2v -i Test.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f dvd Test.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  2. Turns out that this issue relates to ffmpeg and not dvdauthor.

My interpretation of this information could be incorrect, but this is how I understand it: The .mpg was missing "NAV Packets" (in ffmpeg and other encoders, called the presentation time stamp, or PTS) where the chapters could be assigned. To add PTS to the encode, I added "-fflags +genpts" to my ffmpeg (note, according to Superuser, this "must be before the input file is specified with -i"):

ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i Test.m2v -i Test.ac3 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f dvd Test.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why not use one of the front ends for the dvdauthor project where it's easy to set up chapters. Or Muxman where it's also easy to create chapters every 5 minutes, even though it uses frame numbers and not times as dvdauthor. Muxman is a much better authoring program than is ffmpeg, anyway.

Are you really making an MPG? I don't know as I don't ever use ffmpeg. If so, there won't ever be any chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPG is just a container. And DVDAuthor creates the chapters using the control XML.

But the goal is to create my solutions using command line tools so that I can automate them and ffmpeg/dvdauthor seem to do the trick. Do you know if Muxman can be automated? As in, can a script send the input and parameters and spit out a finished .iso or video_ts/audio_ts pair?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JonWeigand View Post
    Do you know if Muxman can be automated?
    Yes it can. It creates MXP files you can use as a template for automating your authoring. No ISOs, but VIDEO_TS files with IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs. You can find more information on the Muxman site:

http://stnsoft.com/Muxman/versions.shtml

If you're in the US, to create chapters you use 29.97fps frame numbers (or, I use 30fps because it's easier). The frame numbers for chapters every 5 minutes would be:

30x60x5=9000

Create a Celltimes.txt file and inside put them like this:

Make sure not to go beyond the total 29.97fps frame count of the DVD.
    MPG is just a container.
    Yes, I know. But it's not a VOB and it's not a DVD.
    aloha!
    Aloha to you, too, from the island of Hawaii (Kona).
    Last edited by manono; 13th Jan 2015 at 20:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use muxman to automate making of VIDEO_TS as well. It reads input file and then MXP is modified for 25fps or 29.97fps, then imgburn command makes ISO, but you can burn VIDEO_TS directly with ImgBurn, it is a choice, it is also there. All codes, windows batch scripts, are in this package , codes just for you are situated in tools\subroutines directory, portable imgburn is included also

Code:
    SET LABEL=NAME_OF_DVD
    SET drive=F:
    SET speed=6x
    SET verify=yes
    SET eject=yes
    SET copies=1
    making iso from VIDEO_TS:
    Code:
    %imgburn% /MODE BUILD /BUILDMODE IMAGEFILE /SRC "%temp_folder%\VIDEO_TS\" /DEST "%destination_adr%.ISO" /OVERWRITE "YES" /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF" /UDFREVISION "1.02" /VOLUMELABEL "%LABEL%" /NOIMAGEDETAILS /ROOTFOLDER "YES" /CLOSESUCCESS  /LOG "%temp_adr%_imgburn-write-ISO.log" /START
    direct VIDEO_TS burn:
    Code:
    %imgburn% /MODE WRITE /SRC "%temp_folder%\VIDEO_TS\" /DEST %DRIVE% /FILESYSTEM "ISO9660 + UDF" /UDFREVISION "1.02" /VOLUMELABEL "%LABEL%" /NOIMAGEDETAILS /ROOTFOLDER "YES" /SPEED %SPEED% /COPIES %copies% /VERIFY %verify%  /EJECT %EJECT% /LOG "%temp_adr%_imgburn-burn.log" /CLOSESUCCESS /START
    Last edited by _Al_; 13th Jan 2015 at 17:47.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks for the input!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just looked at it again, realizing that muxman muxes VIDEO_TS , where frame rate input is not needed, m2v video just has to be 25fps or 29.97 (could be even progressive) , project mpx (anyway that one I got from somewhere) needs to just have correct aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) and correct m2v and AC3 path for muxing.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!