VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

My question might not be very skilled and I am not too skilled with programs that are newer to me. I am use to dealing with direct rips from discs. I think I understand what is happening.

If I used Any DVD or Any DVD HD it will rip the ISO image from the disc. Then taking that ISO image, I can use a program like vidcoder , handbrake , autogk, MKV Merge or AviSynth to extract the whole movie or parts of it(?) With subtitles and without?

I have tried a few of these programs to convert video files I already had. That is what I understand so far. I have read a lot of information and looked at Any DVD's web-site. It's a lot of new stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. After you ripped can you extract/cut parts from the iso or convert it with subtitles.

If you just want to exctract parts with subtitles can you use the old dvdshrink(dvd only) using the reauthoring section. It will output a new dvd or vob file.

If you want a mp4,mkv use vidcoder, handbrake to convert the iso(or video_ts folder).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's not really correct.

By default AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD do NOT rip to ISO format. It is possible to do so, but I believe you have to use a 2nd program to actually produce the ISO. By default AnyDVD-whatever rips files to your hard disk. ISO is a binary format. I don't know if any of those named programs can actually work with ISOs or not. If not, you'd have to mount it first with something like Daemon Tools. Trying to extract parts of a video is complicated. Probably it's best to just rip the whole thing to files not ISO and use an editor for the "extracting" part.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD (HD) will rip directly to an ISO, always has AFAIR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's much easier to do one of the following :

1) Select "source" in Handbreak and say to import the DVD. It will then load the DVD contents into Handbreak for encoding. This works fine for doing one disc at a time if you're awake or hanging out at your place.

2) If you want to encode multiple DVD's over night for example do this. Create specific folders on your desktop for each DVD. Example - Breaking Bad S01D1, etc.. Then go to computer, and right click to open the DVD. Then drag and drop the Video TS folder into whatever folder it corresponds to. Then insert the next DVD and repeat, etc.. The copying will usually take 15-20 minutes per DVD. Then after you have all the Video TS folders copied, import one into Handbreak, load all into the que, and repeat the process until all the DVD's are loaded into Handbreak. Then start the encode and go to bed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why rip to an ISO? Never understood why you would rip an ISO and not files. Just seems like another added step.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why rip to an ISO? -> If you want the full experience of what was stored on disc, incl. menus, highlights, navigation, chapters, etc.
    And if you want to keep things 1:1 exactly as they were without modification (barring decryption).
    And if you want to encapsulate all that stuff within a single file (without resorting to zip/rar/7z, etc).
    And you want to do your backups in LESS steps (LESS time).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. SyncroScales,
    You could think of ISO files as being zip files for discs. In fact many zip/compression programs such as WinRAR, 7-Zip or TugZip etc will open ISO files and extract their contents as though they're zip files. I'm not sure if any of the conversion programs you mentioned will open ISO files directly. As a general rule, you'd probably rip a DVD as individual files rather than a single ISO if you plan to convert.

Not that ISO is a bad thing. It's a way to store the contents of a disc in a single file for backup purposes etc.

I think AnyDVD will only rip the whole disc as an ISO file (that might be wrong). Some programs will rip and save the output as ISO even if you're only ripping part of the disc (ie just the movie, or individual episodes). DVDShrink would be an example.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rdeffley View Post
    1) Select "source" in Handbreak and say to import the DVD. It will then load the DVD contents into Handbreak for encoding.
    Remember that this implies you are running AnyDVD in the background to handle the decryption.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would want to get the IsoImage and/or the Disc Folder (Video_TS folder) for back-up and archive of the discs. This is incase they are damaged. Or I keep the original and burn another disc to use which can be scratched, moved, etc and then easily be replaced. IsoImages tend to be a better burnand and there is more data/bytes. Sometimes one or the other does not work. So I want both incase there is a problem. Eg: I noticed with some Disc Folders when the discs were scratched, that they reproduced a glitch. IsoImages were not as noticeable.

I also don't like copying directly from disc to disc. IsoImages and Video_TS folders are a bit easier and free-up a drive when needed.

I want the files for viewing on my computer or portable device and to get rid of the menus. Also if I were to edit a certain part and make a video or use the cut out part as an example to show someone something: The files help.

Leaving AnyDVD or AviSynth in the background: I kind of don't understand these types of programs. It is like AviSynth. AviSynth would disappear and I could not even monitor it. Or a menu was open in a window, but there was not activity. But apparently these programs work? Or it takes more than one step to do something once I got a notification.

I don't see any processes or understand what it does. I ripped a disc to test AnyDVD. The icon was on the taskbar in the lower right of my screen. It gave me messages a few times. But I couldn't see much information when I clicked the icon. Then it was done. Is that all?

DVDFab has DVD and Blu-Ray passkey. Apparently this does the same thing? Their site does not have much info.

So AnyDVD will rip the ISO/Data/video_ts folder. Then the other programs turn the WHOLE file into video? Then If I want smaller clips, It's best o use a video editing program?

I'd edit with a video program.

Just curious: Why Mp4 and MKV? These are the only options with many of these programs. Mp4 is one of the most supported codecs (similar to mp3 for audio). But MKV? Are these two the only ones that can keep chapters when ripped and viewed in a program such as FLV? (I think some programs will keep chapters with mp4).

I have heard about Daemon Tools. Would anyone recommend it? I don't understand it's use at this time. I think it can also monitor what you install to delete every single file? Or are those other programs?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Why rip to an ISO? -> If you want the full experience of what was stored on disc, incl. menus, highlights, navigation, chapters, etc.
    And if you want to keep things 1:1 exactly as they were without modification (barring decryption).
    And if you want to encapsulate all that stuff within a single file (without resorting to zip/rar/7z, etc).

Scott
    All of that is in the Video TS folder which you can drag and drop anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  12. SyncroScales, as far as anydvd is concerned, you can use another prog. along with it or use it alone to rip a disc.
    To do that right click on the icon in tray and choose rip to image if that is what you want to end up with.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Leaving AnyDVD or AviSynth in the background: I kind of don't understand these types of programs. It is like AviSynth. AviSynth would disappear and I could not even monitor it. Or a menu was open in a window, but there was not activity. But apparently these programs work? Or it takes more than one step to do something once I got a notification.
    The two are not comparable.

Avisynth is, at its most basic a frameserver, and its scripting provides many powerful functions for editing, filtering, etc. There is no GUI.

AnyDVD is what's called a driver-level decrypter. That is, it runs in the background to remove decryption. Assuming it decrypts a disc successfully and does not throw a notification that it needs an update, you can access the disc contents directly with other programs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Reasons to rip to an ISO using AnyDVD rather than folders:
    • When ripping a 3D Blu-ray disc if you rip to folder the size is larger. This has to do with how 3D is done. Keeping it as an ISO saves space.
    • Ripping to ISO allows you the option to keep protections intact. You can remove them with the ISO mounted and using AnyDVD HD on-the-fly. Why is this helpful? Because sometimes there may be a decryption issue with the disc. If you keep the protections you can update AnyDVD and then properly remove the protection rather than have a possibly bad rip that requires you to repeat the process.
    • Fewer folders/files to move around since the ISO contains the whole disc structure as a single file on the HDD. This may not mean anything to some people but for others it is preferred and mounting an ISO is a snap with something like Virtual CloneDrive.

At the end of the day there are no instance were ripping to ISO is "bad." It may require an extra step but it doesn't cause a bigger issue. On the other hand ripping to folders can cause problems.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    Yes exactly, it is like a true archive copy.
    Quote Quote  
  16. fritzi93: Thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    Originally Posted by rdeffley View Post
    1) Select "source" in Handbreak and say to import the DVD. It will then load the DVD contents into Handbreak for encoding.
    Remember that this implies you are running AnyDVD in the background to handle the decryption.
    The title of the thread mentions AnyDVD by name so it's an easy assumption to make that the poster is going to be using it and is trying to understand how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Has anyone noticed a difference if importing directly from disc, ISO image or a Video_TS folder?

DVD and Blu-Ray (AnyDVD HD) or the new CloneBD for Blu-Ray? It seems there are similarities between AnyDVD HD and Clone BD, though Clone BD has more to it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone in this thread seems to be in favor of using AnyDVD to directly rip a DVD to .ISO format. Historically, this has always been discourage. See here:

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?328-Best-way-to-rip-with-AnyDVD
    https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?49237-DVD-rip-to-ISO&p=320051#post320051
    https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?59884-ISO-vs-anyDVD-Rip-to-Hard-Drive&p=386014#post386014

Is there any new information to indicate that newer versions of AnyDVD can safely rip directly to .ISO??? Or are folks here unaware of this documented issue?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Bump, xanbo's links above don't work. Does anyone know what they referred to, or if ISO is generally preferred to video_ts folder as output type as of today?Could be good to know this before doing my full-dvd-disc backups, if anyone knows what the links were about that is
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would simply get MakeMKV to rip the dvd (it's free). Then use Losslesscut if you want to edit and Handbrake if you want to compress into a smaller file.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I would simply get MakeMKV to rip the dvd (it's free). Then use Losslesscut if you want to edit and Handbrake if you want to compress into a smaller file.
    Thanks, I will use these programs for the ones I'll edit. Is it possible to split the video file at any point with Losslesscut?

But for some of them I'd like to retain the dvd-menu, so I guess I have to rip it to VOBs or to an ISO for that purpose, with DVDFab or AnyDVD + Dvd Decrypter (btw is the latter the best software to combo with AnyDVD for DVD9/Full-disc backup outputs)?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!