VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm busy with the build of a HTPC (using old parts) and need some help for the right GPU:

- motherboard: asus P5K SE/EPU
    - cpu: intel Q9450
    - 8 GB ram ddr2

I tried following GPU:
    - ASUS Radeon R7 240-2GD3-L - 2GB - PCI-E

But I'm not very happy with the video quality on my Plasma TV (full hd - 50 inch):
    With most of the .mkv files I play (hdtv 720p), when there is a lot of motion, video is not always smooth: it sometimes stutters.

When I play a bluray imagefile, then stuttering is present continuously. (and audio is not in sync with video): it's not possible to watch a movie this way.

I was wondering if it's only the GPU (R7 240) that is to slow/weak? Or could it be that also my CPU (Q9450) is to weak?

If it's only the GPU that's to weak, then I'm considering buying this GPU:
    - ASUS GeForce GTX 750-PHOC-1GD5 - 1GB - PCI-E (118 euro at the moment)

But I want to be sure this one is good enough for playing all videocontent such as H.264 or Bluray...
    There's also the more expensive card GTX 750 Ti with 2GB (155 euro) but I guess this one is overkill?

Can anyone here help me out? Will my problem be solved when I go for the GTX 750 1GB ?

Thx in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your motherboard is a PCI-e 1.1 model.

There are lots of user reviews claiming that the ASUS GeForce GTX 750-PHOC-1GD5 - 1GB - PCI-E doesn't perform well with older motherboards that don't have PCI-e 3.0.

I can't say if the other graphics cards you are considering will perform any better. Some PCI-e 3.0 graphics cards may work but they won't perform as well on your system as as they would if installed in a motherboard with PCI-e 3.0. You should probably be looking for PCI-e 2.0 graphics cards with HDCP compliant DVI or HDMI for best compatibility, possibly a used one.

[Edit] Here is one example: https://www.visiontek.com/graphics-cards/visiontek-radeon-hd-4350-512mb-graphics-card-detail.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jan 2015 at 11:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.
    So basically, it's my motherboard that is the weakest link?

If that's the case, I'm considering to buy a new motherboard and cpu.

- motherboard has to be ATX. I guess that I can take one of the cheaper models available?
    (for example http://www.komplett.be/product/zkb-01com/20429831/msi-h97m-g43-socket-1150-micro-atx/details.aspx)

- cpu: would a core i3 be enough for a htpc?
    (for example http://www.komplett.be/product/zkb-01com/20454505/intel-core-i3-4160-3-6ghz-socket-1150/details.aspx)

- gpu: a gtx-750 1GB.

Would this configuration be enough for my needs? (smooth videoplayback for h.264 and bluray)

I'll appreciate any advice
    Kind regards
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you try play video files with Kodi (former name XBMC)?
    I have HTPC with far more slow hardware:
    CPU: Intel Atom D525 (dual-core) (1.8 GHz) GPU: NVIDIA ION on board, 4GB RAM
    and no problem to play 1080p files
    when you play file in Kodi and press on key "O", do you see drop frames?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	29538
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fre View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    So basically, it's my motherboard that is the weakest link?

If that's the case, I'm considering to buy a new motherboard and cpu.

- motherboard has to be ATX. I guess that I can take one of the cheaper models available?
    (for example http://www.komplett.be/product/zkb-01com/20429831/msi-h97m-g43-socket-1150-micro-atx/details.aspx)

- cpu: would a core i3 be enough for a htpc?
    (for example http://www.komplett.be/product/zkb-01com/20454505/intel-core-i3-4160-3-6ghz-socket-1150/details.aspx)

- gpu: a gtx-750 1GB.

Would this configuration be enough for my needs? (smooth videoplayback for h.264 and bluray)

I'll appreciate any advice
    Kind regards
    A motherboard released in 2008 is likely to be a problem if you want to install a recent video card.

I have a MSI B85M-G43 for my main PC and have no complaints. The H87M-G43 is a MATX motherboard. MATX motherboards usually work just fine in an ATX chassis. The USB 3.0 header faces forward on this board. This orientation can either be good or awkward depending on the PC chassis. The H97 chipset has M.2 SSD support which might be nice to have at a future date, although there are only 4x SATA 6Gb/s ports. An i3-4160 is sufficient for an HTPC.

If you want to use madVR or want to play video games on your HTPC, I guess you need that gtx-750Ti video card. Otherwise, try using just the CPU's GPU. You might not need a video card just to play Blu-Ray video. My HTPC, with an AMD Athlon II x2 230 CPU and 765G onboard graphics, could play H.264 2D Blu-Ray discs without stuttering. I also have a Haswell i5. Its onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600 is sufficient for playing 2D Blu-Rays too. I don't have a 3D TV to try 3D Blu-Ray playback.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jan 2015 at 20:53. Reason: correct typo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by fre View Post
    I was wondering if it's only the GPU (R7 240) that is to slow/weak? Or could it be that also my CPU (Q9450) is to weak?
    Aside from the possible hardware problem mentioned by unusually_quiet, that CPU and graphics card should have no problem playing 720p video. Any dual core CPU and $50 graphics card should be able to play 720p and 1080p video. Look elsewhere for the problem. What player software are you using? Try changing the codecs or output devices the player is using.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!