VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everybody, i am new to this forums so i've might of posted in wrong section, but anyways I have a Samsung TV (UE32f5000AKXXU) and then I turn it on the picture just flashes and then just goes to black screen but I can still hear the sound!! What could be the problems with tv, help please!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it under warranty? If so don't open it. It'll invalidate the warranty.

Otherwise I'd still recommend going to a tech or shop if you don't have any experience with this. This sort of thing is not within the abilities of people with no electronics skill, who wouldn't know what to do with test equipment if they had it. And there are potentially lethal voltages in there.

There is bad web advice out there about how you can just replace caps. It's not the caps very often in relatively new gear, and if it is there's usually something else going on that blew them up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, sadly It just ran out of warranty as its only 1 year old just as I got it over Christmas so few days out!! any other recommendations!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you saying that warranty was only for one year? Here in EU you get atleast 2 years.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, on recepit and in terms it said TV only got one year warranty, as it was bought from Argos (UK shop) and we didnt choose the extended 3 year warranty (which costs like £149.99, i think)
    Quote Quote  
  6. In the UK, although the manufacturers warranty may only be for 1 year, you can claim for repairs up to 6 years under the Sales of Goods Act.
    Goods must be 'fit for purpose' for a 'reasonable' period of time, and that time reflects the cost of the item - amongst other things.
    Check out this page: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by unkn0wnpr0 View Post
    Yeah, on recepit and in terms it said TV only got one year warranty, as it was bought from Argos (UK shop) and we didnt choose the extended 3 year warranty (which costs like £149.99, i think)
    What a JOKE! Is this a common practice in UK? extra £149.99 for 3 year warranty ?!! HAhahaha. In EU you get 2 or even 3 years for FREE. Nice rip-off you have there lads.

BTW.
    Your TV in Poland costs about ~1000 zł (~ £ 181 ) and they want another £149.99 ??? I'm speechless
    http://www.ceneo.pl/22862811#mh=m2w9jAvT28007samsungO-9Aw5u-JHYhpQGw_L3O-CEkyhOQpTqyy6...VDM77thjnXH6A2
    Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 2nd Jan 2015 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Atak_Snajpera: Yeah could be worse, but sometime they do offer free 5 year warranty which sometime can be useful!

pippas: so basically I need to get back to shop to complain about and expect them to repair for free/fraction of cost, or ask them to refund if the faulty was caused by faulty internals after the expiration of warranty
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think you should contact with some authorities responsible for defending customers rights. They will explain your rights in UK.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by unkn0wnpr0 View Post

pippas: so basically I need to get back to shop to complain about and expect them to repair for free/fraction of cost, or ask them to refund if the faulty was caused by faulty internals after the expiration of warranty
    Yes.. in theory! There are more details of the best way to go about getting help outside the 'official' warranty period on the site I linked to my post #6.

It may mean getting an 'expert' opinion if Argos won't play ball, and then claiming back the expenses.... in the small claims court if necessary.

You might want to check the best way to approach Argos with your local Trading Standards office first....

I think it's reasonable to expect a TV to be 'fit for purpose' for more than 1 year...after all, they're not exactly cheap items!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just gona try ringing samsung and say what they say if not i'll be taking this futher and see what I can do about it! Thank you for you're help!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by unkn0wnpr0 View Post
    Just gona try ringing samsung and say what they say if not i'll be taking this futher and see what I can do about it! Thank you for you're help!
    You could contact Samsung, but remember that your contract is with the retailer- Argos .
    Samsung may just refer you back to them.. which they would be within their rights to do. Really, it's up to Argos to deal with Samsung, if they need to.....
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!