VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought this and I've made two attempts to copy a VHS to DVD using the instructions in the manual. I selected XP quality (not sure if that matters). When finished, it says that it finalized the disc 100%. I'm able to play the DVD using the Funai DVD player. I am NOT able to play/view the DVD in 5 different DVD readers/recorders connected to my PCs. They all tell me it is a blank disc or has no data. What's going on? I wanted to convert these VHS tapes to DVD and then convert them to MP4/MKV to store them on my hard drives. Thanks!

P.S. - I'm using DVD-R discs like the manual says I should.
    Last edited by Paladyr; 29th Dec 2014 at 12:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I opened ImgBurn and it tells me that the state of the last session is incomplete:

Disc Information:
    State of Last Session: Incomplete
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 1,249,888
    Free Space: 2,559,770,624 bytes
    Free Time: 277:47:13 (MM:SS:FF)
    Next Writable Address: 1048000
    MID: MCC 02RG20
    Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

So does that mean the Funai is not finalizing the disc properly?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Paladyr View Post
    I wanted to convert these VHS tapes to DVD and then convert them to MP4/MKV to store them on my hard drives.
    A bad idea if you care about quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nevermind! I thought it was finalizing the disc after it was done recording but it must have been doing something else. Turned the page in the manual and it has a section for finalizing the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I wanted to convert these VHS tapes to DVD and then convert them to MP4/MKV to store them on my hard drives.
    A bad idea if you care about quality.
    I don't. I care about preserving the videos for life. Do you have a better alternative? These are home movies so quality is less important than losing them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I don't. I care about preserving the videos for life.
    Preserving videos and not caring about quality are in my mind incompatible things.

If they are priceless videos to be shared by future generations I would not skimp on quality.
    Capture the video to a computer using a (near) lossless format.

But to each his own.

Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I don't. I care about preserving the videos for life.
    Preserving videos and not caring about quality are in my mind incompatible things.

If they are priceless videos to be shared by future generations I would not skimp on quality.
    Capture the video to a computer using a (near) lossless format.

But to each his own.

Well I'll check out how it looks and sounds. If I feel like there is a quality loss I'll capture it using one of my computers!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!