VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I have been ripping and converting my audio for a while now. I have a lot of CD's, vinyl and tapes.

Some CD's have copy-protection. There is the typical content protection symbol. It's a black circle with a white triangle.

My blu-ray drive is a LG Super multi blue Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter: Model: BH10LS30, Firmware 1.00. It will not read the disc. My old no-name DVD-RW drive will read the disc, but the door will not open and it seems time to retire the old DVD-RW drive.

When the disc use to be acknowledged by Windows and the DVD drive, a message popped up saying I can rip the CD 3 times. I am unsure what type of files it creates. They seem to be wma files (I assume lossy). I never ripped them. If I ripped them and installed the player onto my computer, is the disc making notes and recording the information? Or are files created on my computer?

I am concerned since I occasionally buy used music and have noticed these copy protected CD's in new and used stores commonly. But with used music I don't want to buy a disc that prevents me from ripping the content and backing-up/digitizing my collection.

What file types do these CD's usually rip into? Is there a way to get MP3 320kbps, Wav, FLAC or WMA lossless?

Are there any DVD or Blu-Ray drives that anyone recommends? Or a brand that can handle something like this? I plan to buy an internal drive, but what about external USB2 DVD-+RW drives or Blu-Ray-RE's? Does it matter?

Will SACD's let you copy the audio in Wav format? 1411kbps and 16-bit. Or another file format? I have avoided these SACD's due to not understanding them and other peoples confusion.

Thansk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    My blu-ray drive is a LG Super multi blue Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter: Model: BH10LS30, Firmware 1.00. It will not read the disc.
    Turn off Auto Run?

Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Will SACD's let you copy the audio in Wav format?
    No. Just stay away from those things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Auto run is not on. I went to Computer and tried to open the drive or right-click and select Explore.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    EAC (Exact Audio Copy) should be able to read any type of audio CD copy protection and produce either WAV or MP3 files for you. Be warned that if you use a BluRay drive for ripping that it's REALLY slow. There's some weird bug that causes BluRay drives to read at an insanely slow speed when using the program. Ripping times of one hour per CD are possible.

What exactly are you ripping with? The fact that you are getting WMA files is a bit unusual. The "you can only rip this 3 times" message seems to be coming from the disc itself where it had some program that installed itself to your PC to intercept your rip attempts. I have a strong suspicion that you may think AutoRun is off but it really is on.

My experience is that copy protection is pretty rare or unused at all now in USA/Canada on audio CDs. Europe and Asia may still use it. Sony was the biggest US user but they got a black eye after the "root kit" fiasco that came out of their copy protection attempts. What are you listening to that still has copy protection? Is it a copy sold in the USA/Canada? Just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The CD is an older hip-hop CD. I listen to other types of music too. I think some pop or RnB has that. I went to HMV (in Canada) and I saw a bunch of the Copy Protected discs on the shelves.

The software is on the CD itself. I think how it works is that you install the software. It is an audio player to play the disc or rips. Then you only can rip the disc 3 times. I still have not done it since I have tried numerous times to ask about it, but nobody on the internet could/would say.

There are some hidden files on the Disc. The audio files are wma's. I am unsure if Variable Bit-Rate or Constant Bit-Rate or WMA "lossless". I copied them onto the hard-drive manually and tried using 123copydvd. The files did not sound right and sounded as if the cd was repeating it self or heavily scratched.

I saw EAC somewhere else and I bookmarked it.

I was unsure about the Blu-Ray drives. Originally I uses Windows Media Player 11 to Rip Wav and mp3's. I used the blu-ray drive and it read the discs better, just like when I ripped my DVD's. Eg: With CD's and DVD's there were some scratched. There were audio and/or video problems. But the blu-ray RE drive minimized it or the files are fine and the Discs skip in my physical players.

So I think you mean using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with a blu-ray drive causes a slow rip? I experienced this with a few CD's (using Widowns Media (Player 11). I asked on www.tomshardware.com. They said some CD's are pressed in a higher quality from manufactures. Some are slower to rip than others.

When I selected Computer and tried to open the drive or right-click and select Explore Windows said insert a disc into the drive letter. The blu-ray blue light did not blink as if it read the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ha ha - yeah, right, "higher quality" makes for slower ripping. Well, that's a first for me. Maybe you shouldn't ask this kind of question on Tom's Hardware.

Well I was hoping for a specific name of your CD, but clearly you don't want to mention it. Geez dude, if you're that embarrassed about you musical tastes, maybe you should find something else to listen to. Just a thought. We don't have HMV in the US (I know who they are though) and I can't speak to your musical tastes or what you saw. Maybe you're big time into music that I have no interest in and that music still uses copy protection.

The ripping software you installed from the CD is a bad idea. I've seen those things before. They try to intercept all rip requests when you put the CD in a drive. They're completely paranoid about you (gasp) ripping the files. WMA can be protected with DRM. I obviously have no access to your rips but it could be that they are DRMed or maybe the software deliberately messes with them and makes them bad quality so you won't share them. Or they may have something in them that makes playback on another system have problems. Because WMA can be DRMed, I don't recommend that people use it if they have a choice with something else. It could also be that you are just not doing things in a good way. I have no idea what you are doing with 123copydvd (never heard of it, which means it's probably junk). Sounds like some of your discs are in bad shape if they are skipping in physical players.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I had a good chuckle on a lot of what he said, toms hardware comment, 123copydvd for a music cd (any disc actually) autorun is off but I intentionally installed their software off their cd, LOL!!!
    Oy Vey...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What the OP has is an "Enhanced" AudioCD (=AudioCD + CDROM, in 2 sessions/partitions), where the CDROM portion DOES have an autorun. Allmost ALL enhancedCDs used autorun, and even if autorun wasn't turned on, the use of any of the materials would likely engage the CP executable.

What should be used for this sort of thing is:
    #1 Turn off autorun! Triple-check this, Just in Case.
    #2 When inserting an AudioCD of any kind known to have CP (whether Enchanced, AVCD, or sector-corruption), hold down the [SHIFT] key (on Windows PCs) to avoid a scan of the disc that might inadvertently engage the CP executable.
    #3 Use SlySoft CloneCD to copy the tracks if there is sector-corruption CP, otherwise, use ISOBuster or EAC or a similar AudioCD-aware ripper.
    #4 DO NOT COPY ANY *.cda files. The *.cda files is just Windows Explorer giving you a cute file face on the raw AudioCD tracks. If you copy those files, you are NOT ripping with ISOBuster or EAC, etc., but are using Windows Explorer to do the job, which is probably about the worst soft you could use for this job.
    #5 IIWY, and if those do NOT use sector-corruption CP (thus not needing CloneCD) and not all scratched to hell (thus not needing ISOBuster), I strongly recommend you use EAC, as you can both optimize the quality of the rip by pre-calibrating for your reader, but also because it allows for you to specify exactly which format you want as output (LPCM/WAV, or MP3, or FLAC, etc). Nothing inherently wrong with WMA, particularly the Lossless variety, so long at it is supported in your playback chain and it DOES NOT CONTAIN DRM! Using your methods almost invariably would allow the app to apply DRM on its own. Using the method(s) I am suggesting avoid that problem.
    #6 SACDs can only be ripped via a PS3 exploit or through the CD-compatibility-layer. If you don't have the PS3 or don't intend to use the 1-bit DSD format (which is not compatible with WAV and would have to be converted first), it doesn't make sense to use the CD compatibility layer of SACD as that is the equivalent of having just a standard Audio CD.
    #7 EAC is SLIGHTLY slower if you tell it to do overlapped scanning (which helps insure no glitches in the data stream). It is only VERY MUCH SLOWER if there is something wrong or corrupted with the disc (or bad media to begin with), or if the drive finds and doesn't respond well to sector-corrupted CP (in which case, you should be using CloneCD as per #3).

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 9th Jan 2015 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I remember reading the links on wikipedia. Thanks for the refresher nic2k4. That is why I did not install that software. That is also why I looked around on the CD with the Explore option and saw what else was on it.

I will consider the felt tip method. Probably not tape.

Just asking about SACD's. Never bought them. Just listened to.

I will take the advice from Cornucopia. I will also open up CloneCD which I already installed and take a look.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!