VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi I am having issues copying my old VHS to DVD on my combo unit as some of my VHS are copywrite protected.

I read a modulator would allow to do it so I bought this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/programmable-universal-modulator-vh89w

I plugged it in using my old DMR-EZ45V as the VHS source only to realise my DMR-EZ49V doesn't have an analouge tuner so I reversed the wiring around so my DMR-EZ45V was doing the recording.

Put the tape in and tuned the channel in on the recorder and all was going well, set it to record and it's still getting the copywrite signal!

It's annoying as the these VHS are not available on DVD and are getting old and worn so I really want to get them onto DVD.

I was really pleased with the results I was getting until I hit the copywrite brick wall.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lozii View Post
    Any ideas?
    Capture the video to a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VHS Macrovision protection usually shows up as varying brightness levels on your monitor. Running it through a modulator probably wouldn't help.
    There are devices to block Macrovision, some cheap and some expensive. Most difficult to find.

I didn't know Macrovision was on UK VHS also. Combo units are probably the worst choice when dealing with copy protection.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Any ideas?
    Capture the video to a computer.

I've got a pretty awesome pc but I wouldn't know where to start with capturing vhs onto it to be honest

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    VHS Macrovision protection usually shows up as varying brightness levels on your monitor. Running it through a modulator probably wouldn't help.
    There are devices to block Macrovision, some cheap and some expensive. Most difficult to find.

I didn't know Macrovision was on UK VHS also. Combo units are probably the worst choice when dealing with copy protection.

And welcome to our forums.

I've had the combo units for years and i have only recently decided to try and get my VHS onto dvd so I have just been trying to use what I already have.

I have been successful mostly i copied maybe 15 before I hit copywrite but you are right any hint of Copywrite and the combo unit is like NO WAY!

I really want to find an answer as its really bugging me I thought the modulator was going to crack it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I plugged it in using my old DMR-EZ45V as the VHS source only to realise my DMR-EZ49V doesn't have an analouge tuner so I reversed the wiring around so my DMR-EZ45V was doing the recording.
    I don't understand. What does a tuner have to do with copying VHS?
    SCART to SCART, change the input selection on the recording unit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Use a TBC between the VCR and DVD recorder to fix the problem.
    Last edited by jman98; 29th Dec 2014 at 10:16. Reason: Overly verbose initial response - this cuts to the heart of the matter
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I don't understand. What does a tuner have to do with copying VHS?
    SCART to SCART, change the input selection on the recording unit.

The only reason for that is because I was told using the modulator which converts scart to coax would remove the macrovision, It didn't work though
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks I think I will give that a try!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Use a TBC between the VCR and DVD recorder to fix the problem.
    After a quick search it would seem a TBC = lots of money which I definitly cannot justify just to get some old VHS onto dvd
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never had a problem copying a PAL VHS tape - SCART to SCART to my Medion HDD DVD recorder or SCART to S-Video(cable) to my old Philips DVDR-985 DVD recorder(NTSC - but it would record any signal as long it was a blank/new disc in the machine).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I've never had a problem copying a PAL VHS tape - SCART to SCART to my Medion HDD DVD recorder or SCART to S-Video(cable) to my old Philips DVDR-985 DVD recorder(NTSC - but it would record any signal as long it was a blank/new disc in the machine).

I have copied a fair few from around 1996 with no issues its only now I have moved onto some from the late 80's I'm having issues, they are old WWF videos and it would seem the early ones are copy protected
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally I was going to suggest a "Grex" video filter but they seem to be VERY expensive in the UK. They are <$100 in the US but more than double that on Amazon.UK
    The Grex is also kind of an overkill for removing VHS CP, it will do it but most people that purchase a Grex are wanting to remove the harder to remove DVD CP.
    In the US we have several places selling VHS only filters for <$30, the MCM video filter(only composite input/output) is one but didn't see such a cheap one on Amazon.UK and that SCART filter is probably a better option for you.
    Also older Panasonic combos like the ES-30v or ES-35/45/46v allowed you to route either the VHS or DVD side through a video filter, allowing you to copy a CP'd source with a external filter, unfortunately with the newer EZ Panasonics you can't do that trick anymore and you need a separate VCR and DVD recorder so you can put the filter between the two of them.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!