VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Can anyone help? I just bought this one for my kid this Christmas and didn't realise that it was locked. Here in Australia the regulator (TPC/ACCC) gave an opinion in court, some years back, that region encoding was anti-competitive and therefore in contravention of Australian free trade laws. Usually dvd players have come unlocked for some years now, but I guess that Seiki being a newbie in the market just didn't bother.
    Cheers and happy holidays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SamieRev View Post
    Can anyone help? I just bought this one for my kid this Christmas and didn't realise that it was locked. Here in Australia the regulator (TPC/ACCC) gave an opinion in court, some years back, that region encoding was anti-competitive and therefore in contravention of Australian free trade laws. Usually dvd players have come unlocked for some years now, but I guess that Seiki being a newbie in the market just didn't bother.
    Cheers and happy holidays.
    The only way is to contact Seiki. That's it. That is your only option.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We had a discussion about a year ago from an Aussie member (I don't remember who it was as it's somebody who doesn't post here much) who explained that current Australian law ALLOWS for region free players but DOES NOT REQUIRE them. That's a huge difference over what you said, SamieRev. I think you are talking about how the law was in the past, not how it is now. The poster told us that a law got passed a few years ago making that distinction that unlocked players were allowed but not required. This was likely done as the result of some secret trade negotiations Australia had with the USA. We've had reports that now manufacturers in Australia who used to provide unlock codes are refusing to do so. I don't recall even one mention here ever of a TV/DVD player combo that it was possible to unlock, so yes by all means ask Seiki, but the odds are huge that they won't help you. Speciality players, which include TV/DVD, DVD/VCR, portables, car players and home theater systems almost never can be unlocked.

From now on you should assume that EVERY player you buy in a store CANNOT ever be unlocked. You'll need to buy from an online seller who has modified the hardware at additional cost to you to guarantee region free playback.
    Quote Quote  
  4. taking a very long shot with this, but the last few Seiki dvd/blu players all have the same unlock code present, perhpas it just may work on your combo set

if this is an option:
    go into the dvd setup menu (no disc in the machine) and once in the setup menu- on the remote press 8520 and see if a screen comes up for changing region codes

worth a shot
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!