VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have 2 computers with identical HDD and want to clone one to the other .... have no idea how to achieve this.

OS Windows XP3.

Would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Happy New Year to all.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can clone HDDs and partitions, but that doesn't mean it will be functional, if you have different hardware / drivers and the like..............

Lot's of ways to clone HDD and/or partitions, example Norton Ghost, Snapshot, Clonezilla (free), just to name a few.

Just realized the OP is the same dude in both posts, how lame is that?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x,

Lame indeed.

I'm 76 and there are days when I do not remember my own name, didn't realize I asked the question once before. At that time I did not have the gear I needed to complete the job. I now have both computers side by side and ready to clone one to the other. I have a Shuttle and have bought another which is faster never gave the drivers a thought because outside of a faster CPU they are identical.

From the way you talk, you must be a lonely guy as who would want to talk to someone with a mouth as big as yours. I you lived local to me I would drop in and show you just how lame I am.

For other members, if I connect the 2 computers via USB cable would that give me a result ????????
    Last edited by blinky88; 26th Dec 2014 at 16:48.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    OS Windows XP3.
    Why use an obsolete OS?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using XP3 since it was released, I have never had any problems what-so-ever, it happens to be extremely stable ..so.. if it ain't broken why update ?
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    racer-x,

Lame indeed.

I'm 76 and there are days when I do not remember my own name, didn't realize I asked the question once before. At that time I did not have the gear I needed to complete the job. I now have both computers side by side and ready to clone one to the other. I have a Shuttle and have bought another which is faster never gave the drivers a thought because outside of a faster CPU they are identical.

From the way you talk, you must be a lonely guy as who would want to talk to someone with a mouth as big as yours. I you lived local to me I would drop in and show you just how lame I am.

For other members, if I connect the 2 computers via USB cable would that give me a result ????????
    You couldn't be more wrong about me and paying me a visit would be a big mistake on your part.....

To prove I'm a nice guy, I'll give you a tip. Swap HDDs to see if it will indeed work before you waist time and money on your experiment.......

Good Luck.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you would have used the super secret ultimately hidden search function you would have found your own thread
    Hell it's even on the first page of your own posts!!
    The little magnifying glass under your name.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Swap HDDs to see if it will indeed work before you waist time and money on your experiment.......
    Do not do this. If there are significant hardware differences the drive may not boot on the original computer when you put it back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're referring to two PCs with different hardware (different motherboard and/or chipset etc) cloning the operating system can be very hit and miss. Generally a lot more miss than hit. Even if the hard drives are the same, if they're connected to a controller running in different modes (AHCI vs IDE mode, for example) that'd be a showstopper too. Mostly after you've cloned the hard drive and try to boot from the copy with a different PC, you'll find you can't.

If you want to copy just data files, you can connect the two PCs together and copy and paste.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @ blinky88
    This tutorial is for W-8 but, it will give you an idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYK-C4rIxrI

P.S.
    I use a migrated program many years ago, for XP that connect the 2 PC's.
    I don't remember the exact name of it:
    Re-locator something....

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 27th Dec 2014 at 18:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. To clone a drive you need to have both drives connected to the same computer, if you have a Seagate drive or WD I would recommend you get their software; Data Lifeguard or Discwizard.

As was said before there's a good chance it won't boot in the new PC, get a WinXP CD, start the installation on the same partition (don't do the first repair), you will be asked if you want to repair this installation. Make sure to download all the drivers before you start.

Laplink guarantees it can migrate a PC to another one (including all the programs), it's not free and your mileage may vary.

The best and safest thing to do is to simply migrate your user to the new PC with the microsoft easy transfer wizard and install the programs you need as you go to use them (gets ride of unused programs sitting around and slowing your PC). You can migrate using a local drive or over a network connection. And the migration file that gets created is good to use with any version of Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    The best and safest thing to do is to simply migrate your user to the new PC with the microsoft easy transfer wizard and install the programs you need as you go to use them (gets ride of unused programs sitting around and slowing your PC). You can migrate using a local drive or over a network connection. And the migration file that gets created is good to use with any version of Windows.
    I second this idea. I did this when setting up my new Windows 7 PC and it worked well. I used a direct Ethernet connection between the two PCs since my home network is wireless and wired connections are much faster. I didn't even need to use a Ethernet cross-over cable. A regular Ethernet cable worked fine, as is often the case with recent PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    OS Windows XP3.
    Why use an obsolete OS?
    Same reason(s) you don't buy new shoes everyday.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    OS Windows XP3.
    Why use an obsolete OS?
    Using 13 year old software, obsolete for almost a year now, with the last update issued 6.5 years ago comparing to buying new shoes everyday. Priceless!

I suppose you still play 8-tracks in your car.

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    OS Windows XP3.
    Why use an obsolete OS?
    I looked up "obsolete" in the dictionary. I know what it means, but to be sure..... it appears there's no definition of the word obsolete that could be used to (currently) describe XP.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete
    ob·so·lete
    a : no longer in use or no longer useful <an obsolete word>
    b : of a kind or style no longer current

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obsolete
    1.no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
    2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
    3. (of a linguistic form) no longer in use, especially, out of use for at least the past century. Compare archaic.
    4.effaced by wearing down or away.
    5.Biology. imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals, as of the opposite sex or of a related species.

newpball,
    What fun and exciting things can you do with your Win7 or Win8 PC that I'm unable to do running XP? I know things are slowly changing. XP drivers for new hardware are becoming less common etc, but we're nowhere near "obsolete" yet.

XP isn't really 13 years old. XPSP3 isn't, at least. It's pretty much a different OS compared to earlier versions. A lack of new patches has not made XP obsolete. It's still running the same software today it was a year ago (well..... Handbrake no longer runs on XP, but I don't use it).
    The 8 track tape analogy isn't relevant, unless you have an interesting answer to my previous question?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 28th Dec 2014 at 11:47.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I looked up "obsolete" in the dictionary. I know what it means, but to be sure..... it appears there's no definition of the word obsolete that could be used to (currently) describe XP.
    Keep holding on, 13 years is not really old in computing terms, heck the first day we stepped on the moon was only yesterday.

It's those silly young folks always wanting new things!

I'll phone the FCC right now to tell em to put a stop to all this innovation, we don't need it!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Using 13 year old software, obsolete for almost a year now, with the last update issued 6.5 years ago comparing to buying new shoes everyday. Priceless!

My old shoes are comfortable, they keep my feet warm and dry like they are supposed to do, they protect my feet, and they get me exactly where I want to go(meaning they still do EVERY job I expect and/or need them to do). Sure they are newer than Windows XP but my vintage Timberland boots ARE older than both Windows XP and Windows 98, they still fit and still do the exact same job(s) as my shows.
    http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4207864
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM

My old shoes are comfortable, they keep my feet warm and dry like they are supposed to do, they protect my feet, and they get me exactly where I want to go(meaning they still do EVERY job I expect and/or need them to do). Sure they are newer than Windows XP but my vintage Timberland boots ARE older than both Windows XP and Windows 98, they still fit and still do the exact same job(s) as my shows.
    http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4207864
    And please do not throw them away when they are finally done:

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use "Image" generating software, i.e., EaseUs or Macrium, etc., with recovery to dissimilar hardware capability. You will need the drivers video, audio, USB, etc. to assure functionality. Go to the Easeus forum: http://forum.easeus.com/index.php?sid=7de9a83d5de09bec037bd889c6218658 for more info and detail on what to do. You will need to buy the software and learn some new things. Try this site for specifics :http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/universal-restore/restore-system-to-dissimi...r-hardware.htm
    That's computing from a 78 year old. We're not dead yet. Keep the brain alive!
    Last edited by pepegot1; 28th Dec 2014 at 13:41.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Keep holding on, 13 years is not really old in computing terms, heck the first day we stepped on the moon was only yesterday.

I'll phone the FCC right now to tell em to put a stop to all this innovation, we don't need it!
    Nice combination waffle there. Meaningless rhetoric combined with another irrelevant analogy. Add your inability to answer a simple question and you've managed a non-event posting hat trick.
    Of course your shiny new phone can do a lot more than an old rotay phone, making the old rotary phone obsolete. See how that works? Once again, the question was, what can you do with your fabulous Win7 PC I can't do with my XP PC, making it similarly obsolete?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    your fabulous Win7 PC
    This may come as a shock to you but mainstream support for Windows 7 ends next month, the latest major update for this 6 year old OS was three years ago.

It's now Windows 8 that is current. That's right you are three major OS versions behind.

Keep it going, only 4.9% of users run XP, you may become a 1% soon.

Last edited by newpball; 29th Dec 2014 at 01:41.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    This may come as a shock to you but mainstream support for Windows 7 ends next month, the latest major update for this 6 year old OS was three years ago.
    Shocked!! And to think I was fairly sure a portable defibrillator was a waste of money, but without it I'm not sure I'd have survived the news.

It's now Windows 8 that is current. That's right you are three major OS versions behind.
    And yet after three major OS releases you still can't provide an example of something I can't do using XP that you can do running win7/8. Not even an example as to how a newer version of Windows makes a PC more "usable". That's pretty much the definition of pointless upgrading, don't you think?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Obsolescent would be more apt. It's still in wide use but on the decline. I wouldn't say it's obsolete yet; it runs current programs and drivers are still available for new hardware (mostly). Now, Win95 is certainly obsolete.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

Keep it going, only 4.9% of users run XP, you may become a 1% soon.
    I seriously doubt that. Do you have any RELIABLE sources which back the extraordinary claim
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	se7en-is-the-new-XP.png
Views:	321
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	29333  

Last edited by El Heggunte; 29th Dec 2014 at 07:08. Reason: add attachment
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=newpball;2364611]
    OS Windows XP3.
    Why use an obsolete OS?

I don't care if you dis XP, but don't go dissing 8-Track players.....

I can still remember riding around in my supped-up, Jacked-up 69 Plymouth and cranking out my Led Zeppelin collection on 8-Tracks. Those were the days for sure!!!!

I got a "whole lotta love" back in the day......
    Last edited by racer-x; 29th Dec 2014 at 07:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi blinky88,

I have a 2 years video shows step by step using the Hirens Boot DVD to clone any operating system/HDD.

I'll upload the video and post here.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For certain using XP will limit hardware choices in some areas. I built a new Haswell-based system earlier this year. There are no XP drivers available for Haswell motherboards and CPUs. When I shopped for an HD capture device, I saw that the latest HD capture devices from Hauppauge, Elgato, and Avermedia didn't include XP drivers.

I have been thinking about getting a CableCARD tuner for a long time. Windows 7's or Windows 8's version of Media Center are required for recording copy-once channels. Alternative software, like NextPVR, that runs on a Windows XP system only supports recording copy-freely channels.

XP is incompatible with DirectX 10 or above, which would limit an XP user's choices for video games and multimedia software.

I know the answer from the XP users here will be "I don't care about any of that so, as far as I'm concerned XP, is still not obsolete."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE]And yet after three major OS releases you still can't provide an example of something I can't do using XP that you can do running win7/8. Not even an example as to how a newer version of Windows makes a PC more "usable". That's pretty much the definition of pointless upgrading, don't you think?[/QUOTE]

I do not play games of any description, direct X 9 is installed and all I need.

I have been using it for a long L-O-N-G time it is an excellent OS. Have never had a crash or a frozen screen, newer OS are bloated and do not run the software I have installed. If it ain't broken leave it alone.

I look at members on this forum running newer versions, they seem to have lots of problems, I'll stick with XP3.

I have worked out how to clone a drive via USB, will attach a photo once I receive the cable I need.
    Last edited by blinky88; 29th Dec 2014 at 09:42.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have been using it for a long L-O-N-G time it is an excellent OS. Have never had a crash or a frozen screen,
    I could not have claimed that when I was using XP. It was not a constant problem, but I can't say it never happened.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!