VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i just started ripping my dvd collections. its been many years since i tackled this, so i don' t remember everything. anyway.

i recently purchased the WD My Personal Cloud, a 3TB wifi, and i want to start putting at least a small sub-set of my dvd collections onto it, using dvd shrink at 50% (after it analyzes it, i set only the larger .vobs to 50% and the rest i leave alone). i've been testing this process out since it seems to be the least amount of steps and fastest so far. and i want to see how each ripped video looks on my LG tablet to determine if the quality is satisfactory enough, however, after ripping dvd's, i was issued the following error message and am not sure where the error is since my wdmycloud has 3TB space and i only added 4 dvd's at 50% to it.

i am using dvd shrink and set the output to go directly to the 3TB drive over wifi, thus this scenario:

laptop -> wifi -> netgear_router -> wdmycloud

dvd shrink error message:

--- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // ---
    dvd shrink encountered an error and can not continue

Out of memory

Not enough storage is available to process this command
    --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // --- --- // ---

i tried to look up the remaining size of the folder on the wdmycloud (properties) but for the size is "0" and that can't be true.

does anyone have a better clue why i am getting this and how to resolve ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would guess your 'Out of memory' isn't for your 3TB drive, but probably for your 'C' drive or wherever your Shrink temp files are stored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    update..

it appears to be a memory leak. i ran it a second time, this time, opened task mgr and watched the ram usage go up and it cracked around 2gig and 12 seconds to go, even though i have 6gig of ram. but, i had multiple things opened and that may have helped dvd shrink to fail. the disc i was shrinking had no encryption, but the other four that i did yesterday had encryption.

i think (theory) that dvd shrink, when discs have encryption and it has to decrypt them, that somewhere in the routine it frees ram, while discs with no encryption, the routine does not go to that same routine to free ram, thus the memory leak. i will test this theory by closing down some applications to free up ram and see if the task completes.

edit: i will also run another test (unless someone beats me to it) and test on an encrypted disc while observing ram usage via task mgr, if the ram is released every so often, then it has to do with whether the disc are encrypted versus not encrypted. be back in half an hour or so....
    Quote Quote  
  4. This happens when the drive you're saving the output to is too slow or slower than the source drive and you have a fast CPU. Shrink (and Recode) does its magic in memory and buffers the results for writing back, if you have a CPU that can process video faster than it can be written to the HDD the buffer will grow until it exhaust all available memory and you get the out of memory error. You can easily see that this is what's happening by hitting pause at every 20% of completion and wait for the HDD light to go out before resuming. The job will finish without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can easily see that this is what's happening by hitting pause at every 20% of completion and wait for the HDD light to go out before resuming. The job will finish without any problem.
    this is exactly what i discovered on my own a little while ago, pressing the pause brings it back down some. wait 15 seconds or so (just before the thresh where it usually crashes) and it finishes. but i did not have this problem when the discs were marked encrypted. for those, i did notice that there would be at least one or more pauses automatically during the process, and then it would continue. but, it seems that this is not the case when the disc are *not* encrypted.

edit: the disc that i am ripping is a double-feature 2 movie single dvd disc, each side is a movie, "Big Business" and "Straight Talk" so i suspect that they are both non-encrypted and both will give me this problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This happens when the drive you're saving the output to is too slow or slower than the source drive and you have a fast CPU. Shrink (and Recode) does its magic in memory and buffers the results for writing back, if you have a CPU that can process video faster than it can be written to the HDD the buffer will grow until it exhaust all available memory and you get the out of memory error.
    specs:

my laptop's wifi is /g 54Mbps, or (6.7MB/s transfer rate)
    and it has 2 usb 2.0 and 1 use 3.0 port. i connect the device (below) to the usb 3.0 port.

and, i'm using a new netgear N900, (450Mbps + 450Mbps, or up to 900Mbps) thus, 112.5MB/s transfer rate, or 56.2MB/s transfer rate if at 450Mbps.

new usb 3.0 LG ultra slim portable bluray writer, for the dvd reading only. don't know the model # NB40 ? and not sure of how fast it is, though box states 8x write. so, logically, is at least 8x or faster at reading. i just don't know the KB/s trasnfer rates for this medium. and dvd shrink does not give you the ripping speed like smartripper does.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    i recently purchased the WD My Personal Cloud, a 3TB wifi, and i want to start putting at least a small sub-set of my dvd collections onto it, using dvd shrink at 50% (after it analyzes it, i set only the larger .vobs to 50% and the rest i leave alone). i've been testing this process out since it seems to be the least amount of steps and fastest so far. and i want to see how each ripped video looks on my LG tablet to determine if the quality is satisfactory enough......
    Out of curiosity, what was your conclusion in the quality department?
    When I read your post, I tried ripping a TV episode from two different DVDs at 50% and I thought the result was pretty average. Anywhere there was lots of movement it got fairly blocky. Maybe the two I tried were already heavily compressed and further re-compression was fairly obvious, and maybe they're somewhat of an exception, but I'd wonder......

Mind you I looked at the "shrunk" video using my TV. On a small display it might be acceptable.

You don't have to rip everything. You can use DVDShrink's re-author mode to rip just the movie, or just the individual episodes. With the rest of the DVD not included, that might let you rip without shrinking at all and still keep the file sizes manageable, on average. Then you won't lose any quality. At a rough guess, most "movie only" rips would be in the 3GB to 4GB range, and TV episodes maybe 1GB to 1.5GB each.

Personally, if I wanted a fair file size reduction I'd rip without any shrinking, then re-encode with x264 (which is what I do). Admittedly it's slower and potentially involves more work setting up each encode, but the quality should be much higher for a given file size. If the object is to only view the video on a small display you could reduced the resolution and probably re-encode at a fairly decent speed.

I've seen the problem with DVDShrink running out of memory reported in threads a few times over the years, but I've never experienced it, and at one stage I had four DVD drives in a PC, and I'd regularly run four instances of DVDShrink and rip four DVDs simultaneously (no "shrinking" though).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I started getting this same message about the same time 'shrink' stopped 'being able to rip directly from the disk'. These both started after installing the newest 'anydvd' (about 4 or 5 upgrades ago)
    -c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    quality--it varies from movie to movie. so far, i've done about 10 movies, but i will probably re-do them all once i settle on a final solution.

quality-wise, for instance, dvd movie 'casual sex' was very good at 50% setting, watching it on the 7 inch LG tablet. i am wondering if i should just leave it at shrink's analyzed value and not manually change it to 50% setting through the slider bar, and just take whatever percent savings it offers and move on. otherwise, i may be better off with non-converted, leaving it at original quality and size. still, i would prefer to convert it down to a smaller size but that may involve to many in-between steps plus the long wait for the re-encode. of course, what i would really prefer in this process is: (insert disc -> transfer to wdmycloud) in one easy step, but with the issue going on currently with my newest Netgear N900 router, i am not sure will happen.

i was not able to rip two of the 10 dvd's. Prince Of Persia, (disney movie) says no encryption, but dvd shrink would not rip it.

as a possible alternative, i am currently looking for command line apps that can rip dvds, so that i can custom write my own one-button solution, if possible and assuming there exist such tools. am searching now and found something.

not sure if i answered your questions, but i'm still in th re-learning process, lots have changed, from software to hardware and equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVDShrink should be able to rip Disney DVDs with AnyDVD running in the background.

quality-wise, for instance, dvd movie 'casual sex' was very good at 50% setting, watching it on the 7 inch LG tablet. i am wondering if i should just leave it at shrink's analyzed value and not manually change it to 50% setting through the slider bar, and just take whatever percent savings it offers and move on
    The problem there is DVDShrink's automatic compression aims for the target output size set in preferences. It's DVD5 by default. As a result it'll automatically compress some DVDs quite a bit, others not much, or not at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the details page for anydvd say $80 and not what i want to spend for decryption feature when there are free alternatives. but i did find out that ffmpeg can rip dvd's but you need the libdvdcss.dll file. after four hours of searching, i finally found the windows version, but can't figure out how to get it to work. i added it to my ffmpeg folder but it still won't decrypt. anyway. still looking for alternatives. thanks for the dvd shrink tips.
    Quote Quote  
  12. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bdlot_dvd_iso_master.html
    This was a great little piece of software for coping with Disney protection.
    Rips to ISO, so Shrink can be used to compress later. Unfortunately, the project was abandoned, but hopefully it still works.

As to the cost of AnyDVD, I decided that it was easier to pay for the best years ago.
    Got lifetime licenses on AnyDVD, CloneDVD (works like shrink) and CloneCD.
    Was hesitant about the price too. On reflection it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
    Saves a lot of head scratching and it updates with every new protection. Well worth it in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I know this is an older thread, though I think my response may help others who are having issues "backing up" DVD movie titles.

I have been "backing up" DVD movie titles since about 2005, my typical procedure is:

1. Use the most recent version of DVDfab to remove encryption and copy files to hard drive, in .vob form.

2. Then process the .vob files through DVD shrink to compress and then write the output to an .iso file. Sometimes I use DVD shrink, without compression, to create a .iso file.

3. Use DVD burning software to burn the .iso file to a DVD, single or double layer.

This worked flawlessly, giving me an exact copy (except possibly for compression) of the original DVD title, when I used Windows. Then I changed to Debian Linux and it didn't work at all until now. Almost all programs for most Linux OS are free of charge.

I was able to get DVDfab ver 9321 non-XP, working on my Debian Linux Ver 8 (Jessie for short) by updating my system using:

sudo apt-get update

Then opening the package manager and updating all packages. What is most important is updating the wine progam to the latest stable version available.

I had to configure Wine to Operate in a Windows 8 mode to get DVDfab operating properly.

Then I reinstalled DvdShrink, it ran properly until it came to the encoding process, it would progress about 3/4 of the way through and then it would display the following message:

dvd shrink error message:

dvd shrink encountered an error and can not continue

Out of memory

Thinking about Vhelp's theory, I thought by limiting the CPU speed of the DVDshrink process I might be able to slow the rate at which data is encoded so that it matches the speed at which it can be written to the hard drive.

Linux has a program which does exactly that, it is called CPUlimit you can download it via:

sudo apt install cpulimit

So I tried DVDshrink again, using CpuLimit for the DVDShrink process. I had to experiment with the slow-down factor, though finally it worked. If I slow down the DVDshrink process to 10% of maximum it will no longer display the memory message.

CPU limiting can also be accomplished in Windows by using the appropriate software like BES, Battle Encoder Shirase:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-limit-cpu-usage-of-a-process-in-windows/

Hopefully this helps.

John G.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!