VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't count anymore how many times I have removed the "Film9v2" folder in %appdata% and the "Film9" folder in "program files (x86)" since I am trying to install this program

Yes, I did a search in the registry, but looking only for entries related to "film9" and there weren't many things left after uninstallation.
    Are you thinking of specific registry folders I should look into? Please don't expect me to use programs like "CCleaner" as they can make things often worse This is something I learned very early during my 20 years+ in the IT-Business.

Yes, there are some programs installed as I do professional mixing and mastering of audio recordings for other studios. So there is everything that is state-of-the-art in studios around the world and is needed to collaborate with other studios. Cubase, Sound-Forge, Melodyne, Har-Bal and so on including a bunch of virtual instruments and plug-ins.

Videoediting and -restauration is a long time hobby, so you might find DaVinci Resolve, Hitfilm Express, Vegas Pro, and some little tools like Avidemux, Handbrake, VirtualDub 2 etc

Sometimes I need to edit pictures manually (captured images of super8 home movies in *.jpg), so you might find programs like Gimp, Topaz Denoise, Topaz GigaPixel, Topaz Studio, IrfanView etc

And, yes, there are a few games installed, because sometimes I need something to flee the reality

But Film 9 was the first program where I encountered problems and the first program where I allowed the installation of a "codec pack" (!) I remember 10 years ago, when the K-Lite Codec Pack made a lot of nonsense to my system and I had to reinstall Windows to make things work again. So I was not very overwhelmed when I had to install this codec pack. But I did some research and found out that it is safe to install and so far it did no harm to my other audio/video programs

Codecs I installed prior to Film9 were:

- Lagarith
    - x264vfw (which I uninstalled before installation of Film9)
    - Grassvalley Lossles
    - Huffyuv 2.1.1
    - ffmpeg
    - MagicYUV (the old free version)
    - UtVideo

At this time I'm setting up another old laptop with a clean installation of Windows 10 v1809 to see if this works with Film9 ...ThumbsUp ^^
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just installed version 2.14 - first time i've installed any version of film9 before.

However it won't start. I can see the process runs for a few seconds, but I see no UI.

I wasn't prompted to install any additional applications or codecs during the installation. I am running Windows 10 with all updates.

I have uninstalled / reinstalled. I have tried manually installing avisynth.

In the windows application log I see 2 errors:

Code:
    Application: Film9.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
       at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllBytes(System.String, Byte[], Boolean)
       at System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(System.String, Byte[])
       at l.a()
       at h.a()
    Code:
    Faulting application name: Film9.exe, version: 2.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c2610ea
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.441, time stamp: 0x3da51fd0
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x00111812
    Faulting process id: 0x4754
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4a337f2f6b24a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Film9\Film9.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 3cb03abc-1fdd-4b1f-97a2-7e28d6b3ff84
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

A new version is available:

Version 2.15 of 31/12/2018
    Improved compatibility with Windows10
    Fixed a bug on the detection of an existing directory

This version fixes the bug that prevents opening the application when using Windows10.
    Still on Windows10, it no longer requires the installation of a dedicated Framework.

On the other hand, an installation of Framework 4.7 will be proposed (if not already installed) on the computers using an older OS.

This update addresses the issues mentioned, but unfortunately not yet those of Sholee.
    We are still looking for the cause.

Gilles et Roland
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    A new version is available:
    This update addresses the issues mentioned, but unfortunately not yet those of Sholee.
    Merci Beucoup! Just to confirm this has fixed my problem. Now I just need to work out how to use it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    If you use the film restoration script that VideoFred developed, and which I then adapted and sped up, you can sometimes remove certain scratches by using a really high setting for RemoveDirtMC.

You'll find all these film restoration scripts, including my versions, in these two threads:

The power of Avisynth restoring old 8mm films

Capturing and restoring old 8mm films

You might first want to try this script that StainlessS knocked together. The OP, who was also trying to remove film scratches, reported success. I have not tried it.

Removing thin vertical lines from Video

The script is given in post #7.
    Hello johnmeyer,

Just remembered this clue you gave me and realized I probably did place my recent post concerning advice in this matter in the wrong (rather old and therefore probably "off-the-screen") thread. I ran into a wall there and perhaps you or some other experienced video-restorer could give me insight as how to proceed (if so...). Thanks for any advice in my request here (I don't want to cross post): https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378183-8mm-restoration-script-question/page2#post2539232
    Quote Quote  
  6. is it just me or does exporting a project in FFV1 format actually produce uncompressed video? Just tried that today and got a 430 Gb avi where I expected an about 130 Gb avi. Double checked in the project settings: avi-FFV1 is selected...

(Film9 2.15)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hello,

This version fixes the bug that prevents opening the application when using Windows10.
    Still on Windows10, it no longer requires the installation of a dedicated Framework.

Gilles et Roland
    This should please lordsmurf
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you for this software - looking forward to the next restoration task. On request of my family members - can it be made possible to minimize the program window while processing the tasks? Those can take quite some time and at the moment the main window can't be minimized or even moved after the process has started. And it stays on top of other programs making it hard to use the computer for hours....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Steve
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't work. Can't find this codec, can't process this clip......load of shit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Steve Elliott View Post
    It doesn't work. Can't find this codec, can't process this clip......load of shit.
    I doubt even the highly involved developers can make anything of this short - and rude - error explanation. Perhaps you should consider a more friendly tone first...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all Film9 users and developers. Iíve been using this software for almost a year now as a part for restoring my own Super 8 films from 1966 to mid 80ís. I think itís a fantastic way to use the quite advanced programs like VirtualDub and AviSynth. I use a RetroScan Universal 2k from Moviestuff for frame by frame capturing in 2048 x 1536 in uncompressed AVI and I use Sony Vegas as my NLE. I want to use the high resolution and uncompressed as long as possible in my work flow BUT one problem; I donít seem to be able to run the Film9 software with 2048 x 1536 input and keep those dimensions for the output from Film9. The Film9 (VirtualDub) will crash quite immediately and say ĒAn exception occured in module KERNELBASEĒ among other things. Is that something to do with my PC or is it a limitation of the Film9 / VirtualDub. I use the latest version of the Film9 s/w.
    Instead of keeping the 2k resolution I have to go down to 1440 x 1080 for the output file to make it work.
    Any ideas from the experts of Film9 or VirtualDub?

Kurt
    Last edited by leadry; 31st Jan 2019 at 08:20.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Kurt,
    Sorry, but FILM9 will not work with this important resolution.
    There is a limitation of calculation because of the number of pixels to be treated, even with a 64bits high performance PC.
    We use 32bits versions (Avisynth + Plugins) and there are, necessarily, memory limitations.
    VirtualDub2 has been optimized, but the overlay of Avisynth filters reaches its limits beyond Full HD.
    And this can cause error messages like "KernelBase".
    Gilles
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for the explanation Gilles! It is still a great software the Film9 that you have created!

Best regards
    Kurt
    Quote Quote  
  14. Steve
    Search Comp PM
    It WONT WORK!!!! I import the clip, adjust the setting and as soon as I click start processing I get two error messages. The first is about some nonsense about Net.something or other and the next is saying it can't find the clip I've attached. It's a waste of time. I don't suppose anybody will give a detailed blow by blow account of how they get it to work?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Steve,
    It's amazing ! There are many people who say that it works very well.
    Before using, please read the documentation.
    And then, to get an idea of your problem, it should give us more precise information on your clip (MediaInfo), on the options of the Film9 Project, etc.
    Possibly, a portion of clip download.
    We can not guess what's happening to you ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. .NET usually refers to the Microsoft .NET Framework runtime which is something that must be downloaded and installed. It is used by many programs. However, the installer for any program that requires its use should automatically do that download and installation for you. Here is a link to the Microsoft site where you can download it yourself:

Microsoft .NET Framework Download
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    .NET usually refers to the Microsoft .NET Framework runtime which is something that must be downloaded and installed. It is used by many programs. However, the installer for any program that requires its use should automatically do that download and installation for you. Here is a link to the Microsoft site where you can download it yourself:

Microsoft .NET Framework Download
    Not always (Windows10 already has its built-in framework). Additionally some clip may cause this error.
    As requested by Gilles, we need more details before proposing solutions.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Getting to the party a little late but am starting to learn Film9 and VirtualDub. I have had a few crashes, nothing I'm worried about yet but may post once I know it's not something I am doing, but my question for today is...

Where does Film9 point to VirtualDub? i.e. Can I control which version of VirtualDub that I have installed on my computer, Film9 opens? Currently it is opening VirtualDub 2 build 43073. I have a few different versions loaded and would like to try them. I have looked in the config files in the Film9 directory but didn't see anything there. Guessing it's embedded somewhere in the .exe files??

Thanks!

okay I decided to investigate the crash, and it's a VirtualDub compression error, says may be corrupt data error -100, and it happens in any container using H.264, Lagarith is fine, lossless is fine. It crashes when it moves to the second pass. Interesting, frame count is 357 on first pass, but on the second pass it reports 594, FYI. Also I watched the log in VirtualDub as it crashed and it reported INPUT DECOMPRESSION YUV422, and OUTPUT COMPRESSION YUV422, another FYI

PS I really like the software, from what I have seen, it does an amazing job on old 8mm film.
    Last edited by Kilohertz; 17th Feb 2019 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Kilohertz,

FILM9 uses a version of Virtualdub2, but you can not change it.
    In principle, this is one of latest version. Shekh (the designer of Vdub2) released a V43382 just recently.
    This will be for the next update of FILM9.

Regarding the second point, there is probably a problem with Encoding Codec recognition.
    For H264 encoding, we use the resources of Vdub2.
    It is therefore necessary to use the version of Vdub2 which is included in FILM9 and not to try to modify anything.
    If necessary, uninstall, clean and re-install FILM9.

However, you can use VirtualDub in parallel, but there is no link to create with the version of FILM9.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Gilles,

Thank you for the quick reply. Well I stayed up until midnight working on this, and I think I have figured it out, but won't know until I wake up a bit more and try it again. I was able to replicate the error, using just VirtualDub by itself, correct version 43073, and it has to do with the .264 codec. It has nothing to do with Film9. I watched the log and the error and it has something to do with the pixels not being square, or 1:1 or 2:2... I am going to investigate further today, trying different image capture types etc. I updated the codecs with newer versions, no difference. I was able to get the codec to work if I right clicked on the preview window within VirtualDub and changed the pixel size from "unknown" to 1:1.

My source files are a series of TIFF images captured from a machine vision camera (Allied Oscar 510C).

Thank you again for your work on this project. Speaking of next rev. I have a request. Is it possible to have more options for saving codecs and formats in the project settings?

Cheers

PS also reinstalled Film9 a few times but as mentioned, I don't think it is a Film9 problem
    Last edited by Kilohertz; 17th Feb 2019 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Knowing that FILM9 is normally between a film scan and a NLE, we did not want to put too many Codecs.
    It is especially the "non-destructive" Codecs that are to be preferred, even if the H264 can provide an alternative.
    But you can specify the codecs you want. After, it will analyze their interest.
    Best Regards
    Quote Quote