VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I try an English installation (it has already been tested, but on a French computer) and I give you the result.
    If other users have the same problem, tell us?

Edit: No problems after installation in English...
    Last edited by Gelinox; 12th May 2016 at 10:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have one question for the developpers. I have used for some time an application named videocleaner (supported in AvsPmod, avisynth and virtualdub) that I think has probably a similar approach to yours . If you do know videocleaner how do you compare both applications ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm back to stage one again with this latest version. i have the same issue as the first...when i install & then try to run it gives the same error ?

uninstalling & then installing the .net framework doesn't work either now

update...

i tried restarting my pc & still no go...then tried to reinstall still nothing..
    last attempt.....instead of C: i installed on my F: drive....it now works...

C: drive is solid state....F: is older style ......?
    Last edited by pauljames2; 17th May 2016 at 04:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In your first message, you changed the installation language and it worked.
    I tried on a PC with Windows in English and I had not experienced this problem.
    Now you have the same problem installing the new version 2.01
    Have you tried to change the setup language? like the first time?

You can try this:
    - Uninstall Film9
    - Delete Folder "F: Film9"
    - Delete Folder "C: Program Files (86) \ Film9 \ ...."
    - Delete Folder "C: \ Users \ Your session \ AppData \ Local \ Film9V2 \ ..."
    - Reinstall Film9 with the default choice
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have one question for the developpers. I have used for some time an application named videocleaner (supported in AvsPmod, avisynth and virtualdub) that I think has probably a similar approach to yours . If you do know videocleaner how do you compare both applications ?
    I do not understand, if this question is for all developpers ...
    But the easiest way is perhaps to try it ? no ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. well....

it installs..but when i run a 25 fps mpeg through film9 ...with interpolation unchecked it creates a 50fps video with stuttering in it ?

can i run a 25fps through film9 for a clean up only & export a 25fps video ? seems i can't ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My question was for Film9 devellopers.Yes I can try Film9 but I was interested to know which could be the advantages or strong points of this application as compared with videocleaner as probably they have a similar approach.
    Quote Quote  
  8. well....

it installs..but when i run a 25 fps mpeg through film9 ...with interpolation unchecked it creates a 50fps video with stuttering in it ?

can i run a 25fps through film9 for a clean up only & export a 25fps video ? seems i can't ?
    First ... do you set your installation problem?
    How?

Then...
    Yes it is possible, I invite you to watch this tutorial "projects"".
    It will give you the answers based on the clip you want to process.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    About to complete :
    FILM9 exports systematically in Progressive, whatever the format of the source clip.
    If interpolation is disabled, examples:
    - Without Synchro: if the speed Film is 18 i/s, the export will 18i/s Progressive
    - With Synchro: if the movie speed is 25i/s Interlaced (50i), the export will be at 25 i/s Progressive (25P)
    ditto for Cassette.

Thank you to send us MediaInfo details of your Clip to check ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    My question was for Film9 devellopers.Yes I can try Film9 but I was interested to know which could be the advantages or strong points of this application as compared with videocleaner as probably they have a similar approach.
    VideoCleaner I know, but I do not use it.
    And therefore, it is difficult to make an objective judgment.
    Moreover, it is not our role to make this comparison.
    Although there are similarities in the objectives, FILM9 is dedicated to old films 8mm, Super8, videotape, etc ...
    And so the Avisynth filters that have been chosen are targeted specifically for this type of film restoration.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just across with film9, and just wanna share after several test with different footage. Installed on spectre laptop win 10 64 bit, 8GB Ram

I'm working with post restoration using nucoda and phoenix from Digital Vision and just for fun finding this interesting software so I do some test with it.

Test it with 3 different kind of damaged footage from 35mm neg and 35mm pos, footage masters on Prores 422HQ, 2K, 9-12 sec duration;
    1. Dust: able to clean small dust but not a big white & big black dust (need manual work on that bigger dust)
    2. Scratch: able to clean thin white scratch but cannot clean thick and colored scratch (need manual work on the scratch)
    3. Able to clean 80% of green and red-ish stains (triple thumbs up for this, really good. Using Phoenix soft not that easy to clean that up)
    4. Auto color balance is superb (nicely done, it really almost 80% balance all the way)
    5. Bring back the details and some depths of the footage (very very nice)
    6. Un-touch on the first 2 frames on front (only started the touch up process from 3rd frame, might be better to be able to get reference from 2 frame front and back of the footage)

Overall very nice piece of software, the creator need a trophy for this. It makes ugly damaged video became watchable in just several click without any manual labor of restoration process.

Upload before after sample for the study.

Cheers
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. To me, the results are unacceptable. There is a massive loss in detail. For instance, look at frame 158 and the netting on the second soldier's helmut has almost completely disappeared.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Johnmeyer,

Yes not all of them have the details but some of them have the details back. Nucoda and phoenix can do much much better using some of their super presets but with $$$ buying the presets for the automated plugins, while this is a free software. For professional cannot use this software but its just fun playing with it.
    Anyway back to the sample; some of the details not back cause I use all max or I call it all heavy fix (hard mode Custom). It might be better if using light fix (soft mode Custom) on the first pass then do light fix again on the 1 pass output for 2nd pass. Haven't try that workflow. Need more parameter on the software if you wanted more perfect results on the footage. from 3 test only that footage have best results compare the other 2 footage I tried, still trying on that 2 footage, its much worst damage then the sample input cause the other 2 are 35mm Positive.
    BTW auto restored will not be able have a best results compare manual labor, human eye still the best doing restoration.
    Tried BiFrost from Digital Vision for automated restoration, its actually making manual labor more works rather helping to ease the jobs, so for perfect results and not losing details and depth and not creating a new artifact ti fix, do manual fix frame by frame, you can cheat on some degree of damages using de-noise, clarity, stabilize, etc,.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you have read any of VideoFred's posts in Doom9.org, you'll know what can be done with AVISynth and several plugins to restore frame-accurate film transfers. In those posts that I made in his threads, I offered my own modifications to his script. I then proceeded to spend the next 4-5 years transferring and restoring film. I've see a lot of amazing results, not only from my own efforts, but from other people.

Based on all that experience, I know what to look for and also know what artifacts to expect and which ones will be noticeable and which ones will pass by quickly and not affect the viewing experience.

The loss of detail in your examples is significant and the artifacts are severe. I would be happy to take the MP4 you posted, and even with the encoding artifacts in that "original," demonstrate how much better result can be achieved.

You can do a LOT better than this if you use different tools. Perhaps this tool can do better with different settings, but since I've never used it, I don't know how much of what I saw is inherent in the technology and how much is the result of the settings you used.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Johnmeyer,
    Well to tell you the truth I never tweak avitsynth before or use or don't know that I'm using it. Only been using known branded stuff like pfclean, MTi, diamant and Digital Vision.
    For me why I said this soft is good cause its free and easy use for that kind of fix, not perfect but enough for personal use on damaged videos, for professional use I totally agree with you, this soft not good at all, but someone create it so I gave him a thumb up for his/her time to create this free light weight software.
    If using the branded tools/soft, need training a lot for people like us is no problem, but for home users with no knowledge about restoration, film9 is good enough to use, ell thats just my personal thinking.
    Better quality on an old celluloid is pain in the ass process, long work hours, different setting on every single shot even sometimes frames. For me the best still with Digital Vision plugins, for the 2016 version I check they have auto dust II and scratch II which almost 1 click dust & scratch gone. But need a bit of training using it, set the parameter the right way to get that 1 click clean without lossing the details and depths.
    For me auto restoration is good for material that not damage to much, little dust and scratch, no stains, etc. Manual still better quality, i think you gonna agree do manual for quality rather full automated, if there is a full restored with automated and quality like a manual works, gonna buy that soft ASAP
    If there is a box, I just plunge the celluloid and wait a day (3 days also OK), come out digitized fully restored with 4K and manual quality, gonna buy that device now

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  16. Just so others can see what I'm talking about here is one frame from the before, and the same frame from the after video. Just look at the netting on the soldier's helmuts.

Before

After
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,
    FILM9 never sought to be compared to professional products.
    The sole objective is to make possible the use of Avisynth capacity to many people.
    Knowing that learning coding Avisynth Scripts is simply out of reach of uninitiated in data-processing.

And to demonstrate this wonderful ability to Avisynth and its DLL's, we relied on scripts written by Fred and John Meyer we again thank here.
    It is their work that are the foundation of FILM9.

And in this project, our role was among others to study a more intuitive interface possible, and add additional filters (color, white balance, interpolation, etc ...)

Like any software, everything can be improved. But there are also learning to do to find the best settings.
    Do not hesitate to reduce or increase the default settings. It all depends on the capture mode and quality of the films.

This amateur work is free for all who wish to exit from the attic their old home movies .....
    Thank you for that support ...
    Gilles
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Am I doing something wrong? My saved output files (along with the window preview) are upside down and in slow motion. Am I missing a codec maybe? My source is a progressive scan avi.

Even with those issues, the results are fantastic. I was able to make a really rough off-air clip of the Beatles on Ready Steady Go look quite fantastic!

Also is there a way to reduce film judder?
    Last edited by goodiesguy; 6th Aug 2016 at 08:11.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    You can reverse the Flip of the image in the Project function.
    It depends on your capture mode.
    Choose if it's With or Without Synchro (see tutorials).

In the settings phase, it can not get smooth and continues playback on VirtualDub, because there are several added filters that slow reading.
    But you can position yourself on still images in several places to get a good adjustment.

Judder are reduced by interpolation.

Please, specify the parameters for your video for more information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GillesH View Post
    You can reverse the Flip of the image in the Project function.
    It depends on your capture mode.
    Choose if it's With or Without Synchro (see tutorials).

In the settings phase, it can not get smooth and continues playback on VirtualDub, because there are several added filters that slow reading.
    But you can position yourself on still images in several places to get a good adjustment.

Judder are reduced by interpolation.

Please, specify the parameters for your video for more information.
    Sweet as, that fixed it!

Great little App, the results are quite impressive. My only complaint is that I can't minimize it in the background when it's processing eg: it always stays ontop of my other windows so my computer is basically useless while it's rendering.
    Quote Quote  
  21. goodiesguy

My only complaint is that I can't minimize it in the background when it's processing eg: it always stays ontop of my other windows so my computer is basically useless while it's rendering.
    Unfortunately, no other solution. The main window must keep open.
    But it is possible to open other applications over Film9.
    The computer can be used for other tasks while Film9 works.
    It's not a great solution ... but until we find another choice.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GilesH

Thank you for your time and effort in developing Film9, and thank you VideoFred for your time and effort perfecting your amazing scripts.
    I'm familiar with avisynth/vdub scripting for small format film restoration and just wanted to try your "automated" software.

My 3rd time installing/uninstalling/reinstalling latest version Film9/Net4.6 on W6/64 tonight. Get error message each time on opening exe - same issue as pauljames2 initially had: program crashes immediately with error message. Your assistance appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    My 3rd time installing/uninstalling/reinstalling latest version Film9/Net4.6 on W6/64 tonight. Get error message each time on opening exe - same issue as pauljames2 initially had: program crashes immediately with error message. Your assistance appreciated.
    Have you applied the instructions given by Gelinox to pauljames2 ?

You can try this:
    - Uninstall Film9
    - Reinstall Film9 with the default choice
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Giles, still same error.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Please, Can you put a copy of the error message.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Film9 has stopped working"
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm loving this software, even with it's bugs.

But is there anyway to stop it from interferring with my VirtualDub? I've had to delete previous copies and reinstall, as Film9 seems to make them crash and changes their viewing pane settings, even though I thought it had it's own Vdub built into the app?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Patresto

It is difficult to say with certainty what is not working in your configuration.
    Here experience with the tracks to follow:

- When we reinstall Film9, it is essential to erase all the programs necessary to Film9 (Film9, FrameWork 4.6, Avisynth, VirtualDub, Quicktime).
    - To clean the registry with a cleaning program.

And only once a clean computer to start step by step installation of Film9.
    To our knowledge, there are no limitations caused by the hardware.

goodiesguy

If you encounter bugs in using the program, thank you for them to know us.
    Film9 uses its own version of VirtualDub. It is in the application directory. VirtualDub is configured to fit Film9, but nothing prevents you from returning to the layout you prefer.
    I do not understand what prevents resume your previous configuration.

Thank you for your support.

Gelinox
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Film9 uses its own version of VirtualDub.
    No it does not. If anything, it overwrites previous installs.

VirtualDub is configured to fit Film9, but nothing prevents you from returning to the layout you prefer.
    I do not understand what prevents resume your previous configuration.
    I mentioned this last year, but you denied it. I knew you were full of shit. Now you admit it screws with settings.

This is why I quit testing it. As far as I was concerned, it behaved like malware.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gelinox

Film9's install routine is something of a nightmare, requiring many codecs to be deleted, codecs that other apps need to run. Film9's GUI is unnecessarily complicated and cluttered, and not all functions are translated to English, including the "help" videos. The results I got were poor in comparison to using Fred's scripts in VD or VDMod. Annoyingly, it took me an afternoon to restore my PC (mainly due to deleted codec issues) to its former state after deleting Film9.
    If anyone is serious about film/video restoration, I suggest becoming familiar with VirtualDub, it is not that hard, and tweaking .avs scripts is easy. This forum will always offer good advice to beginners if you get stuck.
    I am rarely negative, but Film9 seems completely pointless and naive, but I am glad I tried it, to be able to offer an honest evaluation. My best adivice is, avoid.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!