VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed that installing FILM9 screwed up my VirtualDub instance. Settings were silently changed. The preview was changed, and I'm not sure what else was tampered with.

The one I find most obnoxious is the auto-stretching preview window. The setting won't change in the GUI.

Edit: I found the value "auto-size panes" in the registry, and changed it from 1 to 0. That did it. But I'm still not sure what else FILM9 has futzed with.
    - Would the devs care to elaborate on what exactly FILM9 is doing at install?
    - What all was changed?
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 6th Dec 2015 at 10:50.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. You try Film9 ??????????? You ?

A moment of madness?

The answer is simple: nothing

Maybe do you not all the mastery necessary to properly use VirtualDub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    You try Film9 ??????????? You ?
    A moment of madness?
    The answer is simple: nothing
    Maybe do you not all the mastery necessary to properly use VirtualDub?
    I had installed FILM9 for testing some time back. And it screwed up VirtualDub as a result. If you think it changes "nothing", then the software is clearly more fubar than we'd initially thought.

The accusation that I don't know how to use VirtualDub is ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Dear little blue dwarf,

Do not be ashamed, if you want me to tell you how to disable "auto-size panes" that is in friendship that I would help you.

Continue to post your messages, they amuse me much.

I have only one fear by reading all your interventions.
    It is that they come from a man not very happy in his life.

With all my friendship....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear little blue dwarf,

Do not be ashamed, if you want me to tell you how to disable "auto-size panes" that is in friendship that I would help you.

Continue to post your messages, they amuse me much.

I have only one fear by reading all your interventions.
    It is that they come from a man not very happy in his life.

With all my friendship....
    There is no "friendship" in your condescending tone. And your own "interventions" reflect ignorance about the long track record of reliable commentary and advice given by the blue person whom you deride. His credibility vastly outweighs yours among longtime members of this forum. You are only making a fool of yourself. Of course he knows how to adjust settings to VirtualDub. His commentaries are for the benefit of others.

It would be of greater benefit if you received his input as valuable user feedback, instead of defensively trying to kill the messenger.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There is no "friendship" in your condescending tone. And your own "interventions" reflect ignorance about the long track record of reliable commentary and advice given by the blue person whom you deride. His credibility vastly outweighs yours among longtime members of this forum. You are only making a fool of yourself. Of course he knows how to adjust settings to VirtualDub. His commentaries are for the benefit of others.

It would be of greater benefit if you received his input as valuable user feedback, instead of defensively trying to kill the messenger.

Before opening a discussion that fails, I invite you to browse previous messages from your friend.
    You will discover interventions that are neither documented or respectful.
    Everyone is free to say what he thinks, but with a minimum of respect for the work of others.

Film9 is software that has never intended to revolutionize the world.
    There are several years is offered in several forums.
    The numerous discussions with users have always been positive and constructive.

Respect must be mutual concept, otherwise we should not be surprised at the attitude of others.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    There is no "friendship" in your condescending tone.
    As you well know, LordSmurf sometimes proudly comes off as a curmudgeon and nowhere more so than in his posts to this thread. From his first one until now he's been the one behaving as arrogant and condescending. Just go back and reread the thread for the evidence. For awhile Gelinox was polite in response (more than I would have been had someone attacked a program I had developed) but he's finally had enough and I don't blame him at all.

If Gelinox says his program does nothing to VDub, then I'm prepared to believe him. If later, on closer inspection, he discovers he really inadvertently did do something to VDub, I'm sure he'll admit it. Yes, LordSmurf is very knowledgeable and often helpful. But he's not perfect. I agree with Gelinox that he's mistaken here. I don't even use the program myself, but am glad it's here and being continuously developed to make it easier for other video enthusiasts to use AviSynth without actually having to learn it themselves. If it's not for LordSmurf, then he's welcome not to use it. Helpful criticism is welcome, I'm sure, but the kind of insulting comments LordSmurf has continually made about FILM9 help no one, least of all himself and the 'credibility' you say he has.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes indeed, go back and read.

I came into this thread curious, though dubious. Then I made a statement that I hate programs that require .NET, as that can cause issues. I was attacked, and got pissy. Then after wasting my time setting up FILM9, all it did was crash with obtuse messages. And it screwed up VirtualDub.

Before I ever came into the thread, it was already getting WTF type posts from members. Criticisms were ignored, weird response given. He then dismissively claimed that it was fine as is (to another poster), and I posted a quip in response, seeing as how that's their attitude.

Then I noticed John was finally seeing the BS. (And FYI, FILM9 is mostly just his and Fred's scripts for film.)

BTW: Search Google for "FILM9". Most of the feedback has been lukewarm at best, some of it (like mine) outright negative. You see more negatives on more advanced sites. Roland/Giles/Gelinox/whatever always pops in, rambles a bit, then disappears without anything really being resolved.

If Gelinox wants, we can start over. I'm perfectly willing to try FILM9 again, and give feedback. I'm not an ogre. But dismissing or ignoring feedback is not going to work anymore.

manono, I respect you. Let's not let this one thread change that.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 6th Dec 2015 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    manono, I respect you. Let's not let this one thread change that.
    It's cool. I like curmudgeons, being one myself sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dear Mister Smurf,

Our disputes will quickly tire the people who come here to find information and not to attend sterile disputes.
    So I post my final answer.

Users will download Film9 yet, some will appreciate, the other less. This is the rule of the game.
    We will continue to willingly give them advice, to answer their questions as we have already done hundreds of times.
    Although we do not always have an answer to their problem.
    Have you always solve the problems?

You try to make us look arrogant and proud people, so I will repeat what I have said many times:

1) We are only amateurs
    2) We have fun with Film9
    3) Our software is not perfect
    4) We need this contact with people to motivate us to improve our program.

You accumulated lies and you become pathetic in your desire to harm us.
    At the beginning of this thread, you sought to crush us. Us who dare to show the result of our work.

You sought to rally prominent members of this forum into your demolition company .
    They do not follow you. Some even confirmed it to me by email.

Filmboss80 Told me I was killing the messenger when i refuse your critics. Or a messenger carrying a message. You have never given information about problems you've encountered with Film9. You are not a messenger, just a bomber.

And please, when you write to manono or johnmeyer, do not turn you into toadies, save some dignity.

Whatever your level of technical competence, with wire, you're in a nasty position and you do not know how you get out. You might be ruining years of credibilities with some few nauseating lines.

You think I become condescending? This is true with you I can afford it.

Hey ! Mister Smurf becomes a Lord!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have never given information about problems you've encountered with Film9
    Yes I have. Here it is again:

1. The program crashes early on with no message or obtuse messages. I'd like to give you more details. But it's your own software that isn't providing any.

2. Installing Film9 changed VirtualDub settings in the registry. You may deny it, but odds are you're just not aware of it taking place. Film9 tries to install more than just itself, and it may be messing with Avisynth or VitrualDub as a result. This isn't the first time I've seen this behavior from third-party GUIs in the past 15 years.

3. But even more than this, Film9 insists that it must capture the video. Well, these days, most people don't use a single box to both capture and restore. Capture systems are lean, and tend to have less powerful CPUs. So in terms of a restoration tool, it's somewhat useless, as it cannot be run independent of capture. Capture is capture, restoring is restoring. Trying to make a single program do everything is the (usually poorly done) job of an all-in-one. You need to unlink these processes.

4. And FYI, within the past week, while setting up a capture system based on ATI AIW, installing .NET 2.0 really screwed up the system. It was so bad that reformat was required. NET 3.5 was fine, however. As I said from the beginning, I hate installing .NET as it can have unforeseen negative effects on capture boxes. It's not the first time I've seen conflicts with it, and I doubt it'll be the last. You and simon dismissed these criticisms outright, but I know better.

If you want to dev a tool, great!
    But not listening to feedback from seasoned users will mean the tool has no future.

You seem to be as uncooperative as ever, so I'll have no more part of this thread.

/done
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Dec 2015 at 15:54.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I do not understand the previous post at all. Where does Film9 insist on capturing? All my Super 8 film captures are done using Paul Glagla's (another Frenchman's ) excellent free capture programme called CaptureFlux. I then browse to the resulting AVI by using the "ADD Clip" button in Film9. Neither of these programmes come with installers and are therefore classed as portable and should not install anything to the registry. I have had no problems whatsoever with Film9, .Net or Virtualdub, so I am at a loss as to what all this fuss is about, but I feel this thread is becoming somewhat heated and unpleasant. This is supposed to be a technical forum so I think, in my humble opinion, perhaps the moderator would like to remind everyone of the rules.
    Last edited by boffee; 10th Dec 2015 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boffee View Post
    I do not understand the previous post at all. Where does Film9 insist on capturing? All my Super 8 film captures are done using Paul Glagla's (another Frenchman's ) excellent free capture programme called CaptureFlux. I then browse to the resulting AVI by using the "ADD Clip" button in Film9. Neither of these programmes come with installers and are therefore classed as portable and should not install anything to the registry. I have had no problems whatsoever with Film9, .Net or Virtualdub, so I am at a loss as to what all this fuss is about
    I'm at a loss too. Trying to do what you stated is what would make it crash.

After seeing what it did to VirtualDub, I wasn't going to attempt installing it on another system. This was the only system where VirtualDub isn't often used, so it wasn't the end of the world (just obnoxious).

I agree, this thread isn't very pleasant at all. And I'm not the one who put it on that path.
    Quote Quote  
  14. QUESTION.
    the question is stupid but I never had need to do it for other applications:

How to open/run Film9 ? after installation I don't see any icon and not shortcut anywhere. It starts automatically after installation, but if I close Film9 how to open again?

If I double click again on Film9.exe the installer begins again.
    Other strange thing: I have already Avisynth installed in his default directory: why Film9 tells me that Avisynth is not installed? ... so it installs again Avisynt overwriting my previous one (note that the version of my Avisynth is the same)

..EDIT....
    ANOTHER QUESTION
    I start from a movie in AVI DV (Avid Liquid),, I have installed the Logarith codecs for processing, but how do I get the final result back into DV AVI?

I hope to have a quick reply becouse everytime I need to open Film9, I have to launch the installer to use it again, furthermore I need to get an Avi DV result clip.

Thank you
    Regards...
    Last edited by clickshe; 21st Mar 2016 at 04:01.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,
    FILM 9 is directly usable with Film9.exe file.
    There is no icon or shortcut. But you can create one with the Windows procedure.
    When open FILM9, it detects whether third-party tools are installed.
    FILM9 uses multi-threading version of Avisynth.
    So, if Avisynth is already installed in its standard version, FILM9 will indicate the need to install the MT version.
    Once this version installed, you can use FILM9.

There are only two possibilities for the treatment of final Codec : Uncompressed or Lagarith.
    If you want to compress again in DV AVI, you can do it with VirtualDub.
    Installing the Codec Cedocida and in VirtualDub, open the file from FILM9 and create a new DV AVI file with the Cedocida compressor.
    But you can also enjoy using other transcoders.
    Best Regards
    Gilles
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thank you Gilles,
    the problem is that everytime I launch Film9.exe the installer starts from the begin,
    and installs again Avisynth (the same one previously installed from Fim9).
    It ask me again for language, reisntall again Avisynth, then again Avisynth MT dll..
    It seems to be strange...

Thank you for very quick reply !

EDIT
    I installed in windows XP and got the problem above.
    Now I have installed in Windows 7 and I don't have this kind of problem
    ..maybe the problem is WinXP ?.
    Last edited by clickshe; 21st Mar 2016 at 11:14.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hello,

Check that Film9 is not installed on the desktop but in the root of a drive (eg: d: / Film9).
    Use XP should be no problem.

Best Regards
    Roland
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by clickshe View Post
    Thank you Gilles,
    the problem is that everytime I launch Film9.exe the installer starts from the begin,
    and installs again Avisynth (the same one previously installed from Fim9).
    It ask me again for language, reisntall again Avisynth, then again Avisynth MT dll..
    It seems to be strange...

Thank you for very quick reply !

EDIT
    I installed in windows XP and got the problem above.
    Now I have installed in Windows 7 and I don't have this kind of problem
    ..maybe the problem is WinXP ?.

I have this issue with Film9 wanting to go through the whole re-install of avisynth so i went back to using version 1.43.27.01.

Re "How to open/run Film9 ? after installation I don't see any icon and not shortcut anywhere. It starts automatically after installation, but if I close Film9 how to open again?"

Sounds like you haven`t extracted the Winrar file and you are simply clicking on the downloaded rar and the self-extracting process is unraring the file for you ,So i reccomend you install Winrar/7Zip and extract manually.

I think Windows 7 has a build in Zip function so thats why you are experiencing the issue only on XP.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hello,

Check that Film9 is not installed on the desktop but in the root of a drive (eg: d: / Film9).
    Use XP should be no problem.

Best Regards
    Roland
    Why the root of the drive? Applications should never install there.

The capture app for the RetroScan Universal insists on outputting to the root of the drive which I find very sloppy.

Just my humble opinion...
    Quote Quote  
  20. I think I have not been understood. It's my fault!
    We must put the application directory to the root of the drive, not the files.
    Quote Quote  
  21. FILM9 V2 is available

https://vimeo.com/165747087

Your comments and requests have constantly guided the development of this new software.
    Rather than listing the long list of new possibilities, I invite you to visit our website,
    watching the demos and tutorials and of course only if you want ...

... To try this new version here !

http://www.film9.org

We have always a lot of fun to talk with you on this forum, share tips and each discovery.

Gilles and Roland
    Quote Quote  
  22. went to install this ....followed the instructions but when i go to run film9 it fais to run with the annoying film9 has stopped working error box ?

my os is windows 7 64 bit.....
    Quote Quote  
  23. no problem with W7 64bit

Do you have a screenshot of the error message?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    no problem with W7 64bit

Do you have a screenshot of the error message?

I do ...but not very helpful i would guess
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  25. You can make this :

- Uninstall Film9
    - Uninstall Microsoft.Net FrameWork 4.6
    - Download Film9 again
    - Run SetupFilm9.exe
    - SetupFilm Film9 proposes to install FrameWork 4.6, accept this
    - Continue installation of Film9

Keep us informed !
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    You can make this :

- Uninstall Film9
    - Uninstall Microsoft.Net FrameWork 4.6
    - Download Film9 again
    - Run SetupFilm9.exe
    - SetupFilm Film9 proposes to install FrameWork 4.6, accept this
    - Continue installation of Film9

Keep us informed !

sorry no

uninstalled .netframework 4.6...
    uninstalled film9.
    downloaded film9 again....
    installed this...at start it asks for .net framework so i installed this...

ran the film9 installer....it completed but still gives same error as above image
    Quote Quote  
  27. This is a configuration issue on the computer.
    If your computer is up to date ... I have no other advice to offer.
    In your place, I will seek the blocking element gradually from a new fresh installation. But I understand that you may not want to go through there.
    Do you have the opportunity to try on another computer, to compare?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    This is a configuration issue on the computer.
    If your computer is up to date ... I have no other advice to offer.
    In your place, I will seek the blocking element gradually from a new fresh installation. But I understand that you may not want to go through there.
    Do you have the opportunity to try on another computer, to compare?

i have a laptop.....i ca check it on that later...thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Thank you for your return, and I'm curious to know more ....
    Quote Quote  
  30. right i tried this....

installed to another drive....f....
    still same issue....

installed again in french......then it ran...changed to english...
    restarted & all is good......

dunno what can be learned from this....

thanks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!