Page 15 of 24
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. No problem, thanks for the feedback.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having difficulty downloading Film9. The download speed is very slow, around 10KB/s, and the download was corrupted. I have no problems with downloading files or internet speeds with other websites. Perhaps Film9.org has reached it's limit and is being throttled by the ISP?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First a big THANK YOU for creating Film9. I've been struggling and experimenting with avisynth and virtualdub with various scripts to process my 8mm captures. Up till now, i didn't get much satisfying results. Until I found your Film9 software. This is the perfect tool or me!! I'm still experimenting with the various settings but so far I'm very impressed with the results.

I have one problem: some times the software 'hangs' during processing after the first step. After step 1/2 is finished, nothing happens. I have finished a few processes without issues, but now i'm stuck with this bug.
    I'm still trying to find out which setting causes this issue, but maybe someone else has the same problem and can help me out.

thanks, Daniel
    Quote Quote  
  4. altmangf :
    If this problem persists, please give me an email address by MP, I will send you a download link.

Daniel_K:
    It is difficult to answer you without having more details.
    Can you send us an extract of your clip as well as the configuration of your computer?

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. A question for Gelinox please

Film 9, really is very good, so Thank You for making it.

I will happily make a donation once I sort out this problem, if you can advise on how to resolve it please.

I have had great results using film 9 (version 3.10 15 07 2020) on short clips (3 minutes) of jpg images from cine film scans but I encountered a problem with a much larger process

A friend also had the same issue, he was exporting a 'video' so I think his export was corrupt where as mine was 99% ok to use as I was exporting tiff images and only lost 3 tiff images at the end of the processing.

My set up: New Windows 10 with SSD. Jpg scans on an SD card, exporting to a USB3 2TB ext drive. Windows defender realtime protection off, not connected to the internet, so as to reduce anything in the background.

This time I tried to process a 400ft reel of cine film. settings for grain (75%) , dirt clean (2 pass) and stabilise (default setting)

This comprised 22,636 of jpgs (22.5gb) which F9 turned it in to 22,633 of tiff images. (70 GB)

the last 3 tiff images are missing as Film 9 locked up at the end of the job.

I know it locked up as I put the job on overnight and it was left to run for 7 hours and in the morning, sitting there doing nothing, 99.9% done.

The projected time was around 90 minutes in VirtualDub process window as the export took place.

I couldn't 'abort' the final VirtualDub process without a re start on the pc.

Fortunately only the last three tiff images are missing so I can use the tiff images Film 9 has written, to import in to DaVinci Resolve to work on, so all is not lost.

Had I been writing a video file I would imagine it would have been corrupt had I forced the program to close.

Can you suggest anything as to why this happened please, and how it can be resolved?
    Last edited by super8rescue; 21st Nov 2020 at 02:32.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Super8rescue:

You don't have to pledge a donation to get an answer.
    I can't explain why, three images are missing at the end of the process.

Here is how I do it:
    - I never work with clips that are too long.
    In the event of a crash after hours of computing, it's painful to lose everything.
    My films are segmented into 4gb files automatically when capturing (but you can do it very easily manually when working in .tiff).
    Film9 allows you to compute as many clips as you want, between each clip VirtualDub is closed and restarted, which avoids quite a bit of memory problems.
    In addition, the settings of a clip can easily be applied to all other clips, eliminating the need to re-enter the settings individually.

- I avoid external hard drives in USB
    Sometimes there are link problems lasting a few microseconds and momentarily the reader is not found, which is enough to cause an error.

Finally, it often happens that I process between 50 and 80 4gb clips without encountering any crashes.
    Whereas if I had only processed one 200gb clip, it would have caused a crash.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    In the event of a crash after hours of computing, it's painful to lose everything.
    Thank You for your speedy reply.

Fortunately I exported tiff images as I like to work with an image sequence, so all was not lost, just the final 3 frames.

Next time I do this, I will trim the 400ft reel in to smaller chunks in Film9 before processing, as you suggest, and see how that goes.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 21st Nov 2020 at 04:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post here,so be gentle with me. I have just started trying to work out the Film 9 software and really struggling with it. I joined up on this forum to get a few tips. It took me a while to figure out if I don't have the Lagarith codecs, I end up with no file in the treated clips folder. Now I have installed this I'm trying what I think is a very simple clip to work on. It's a 21 minute clip of 8mm film converted to MPEG4 (file size approx 1.2 Gig) Now using the "Basic" preset,it turned into a huge 22 Gig MPEG4 running 7 minutes long.
    Where have I gone wrong?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello AndyM and welcome to this forum,

The Lagarith codec was offered to you when you installed the program.
    And then at each start, Film9 should notify you of its absence, if my memory serves me correctly.
    If you follow the advice the program gives you, you shouldn't have a problem.

For the other questions you ask, I invite you to first read the user manual which describes the operation of Film9 ("Help" menu), in particular the one concerning the "Project" page.

Regards

Roland
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Roland,thank you for the reply. The Lagarith codec was ticked as installed as per the prefences.I reinstalled it anyway and that cured the lack of video in the treated clips folder.
    I am a complete novice with Virtualdub and Film9 so really having difficulty with working out why my clip ends up running way too fast. According to the Film9 infos ,the source clip is 21 minutes long, 17fps 1.2Gig,MPEG4,avc1 CODEC 1920*1010 Progressive. Doing a render with options or no options results in pretty much the same thing. a clip running around 6 minutes long,and about 450Meg in size. Last clip I rendered showed 50fps,but a previous render show 18fps but both running super fast and both around 6 minutes.
    What do I do?
    Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hello AndyM and welcome to this forum,

The Lagarith codec was offered to you when you installed the program.
    And then at each start, Film9 should notify you of its absence, if my memory serves me correctly.
    If you follow the advice the program gives you, you shouldn't have a problem.

For the other questions you ask, I invite you to first read the user manual which describes the operation of Film9 ("Help" menu), in particular the one concerning the "Project" page.

Regards

Roland
    Quote Quote  
  11. I see that you did not consult the user manual as I had mentioned in the previous message (for your question : p.17 and following).
    As you read it, you will learn other tips that will help you.
    Of course, if despite careful reading you get stuck on a specific point, we will be happy to provide you with information.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  12. Gelinox I wonder if you can resolve this problem please
    I am trying to process a 5 minute sound mp4 video file.

No matter if I set it to mute audio or choose any of the audio choices for the .mov output I set up, I get this error before beginning any settings
    [Attachment 56182 - Click to enlarge]

Adding another mp4 file with sound, and choosing mp4/ mp3 or aac output, I get this error when I hit RENDER, if I set it to silent, it works.
    [Attachment 56183 - Click to enlarge]

I have the K Lite codec pack installed windows 10 is that the problem, should I have the mega pack, it warns me I will lose the H264 codec if I install it
    [Attachment 56184 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by super8rescue; 10th Dec 2020 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi super8rescue, I installed the mega codec pack (1587 Mega) anyway seems to work for me. There is an update since then.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks Andy M

It turns out I do have the mega pack installed, I only looked at the start menu so I didn't see the full name

[Attachment 56185 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks to AndyM for his advice, it is indeed the right thing to do.
    Now I am not sure if this works for Super8rescue.
    If not, it is a problem of parameters with KLite, choosing the default options, without modifying them, it works.
    I don't think you have to worry about losing your MP4 codec as you advertise Klite.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Thanks to AndyM for his advice, it is indeed the right thing to do.
    Now I am not sure if this works for Super8rescue.
    If not, it is a problem of parameters with KLite, choosing the default options, without modifying them, it works.
    I don't think you have to worry about losing your MP4 codec as you advertise Klite.

Thanks Gelinox. I will unistall the Klite version I have, and retry using the icon in Film9 to replace it.

I will run a sound film over the weekend and let you know if it works.

Thanks again for being there, it is very much appreciated.

The comments I am getting from using Film9 are very good, the results are stunning, considering Wolverine cine scans.

I am still learning to use Film9, the difference between indoor shots and outdoor, fast moving and slow moving shots, but I am getting great results so far.

Here is an example of what I have been restoring, you have made my life so easy, I found it impossible to master avisynth as a stand alone, dyslexia makes command line work difficult for me.

Having degrain and dirt removal is life changing for cine restoration, interpolation is genius for cine film.

https://youtu.be/WWhAeNshAnQ
    Last edited by super8rescue; 11th Dec 2020 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks super8rescue.
    Don't forget that Film9 makes it easy to use filters developed by other users, including johnmeyer.

Regarding the example that you were kind enough to share and if I may, I think the file you get with your scanner does not contain a film frame for a captured video frame.
    A spot is detected only if it only appears on one image and not on the next or previous one.
    If images are duplicated by the capture program, then Film9's filters will not be able to detect it.
    This is probably why you still have spots that appear from time to time.

Then and still in my opinion, the degrain is too present. Leaving a little grain helps remind you that you are dealing with a film.
    Ditto for the sharpness.

And finally, there is an issue that I can't identify with the artifacts present during fast movements, possibly due to the use of tween, but I'm not sure.
    But well done to you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The example I shared was an image sequence captured as jpg on the wolverine scanner, and processed as an image sequence in Film9 but I agree, I have a lot to learn with the settings of Film9

I would be interested to know how to use third party scripts with Film9.

I do like the very clean look with no grain, keeping things authentic is much better.

I too see the artifacts you speak of in the example I shared.

Perhaps it is 'kids of today' prefer the 'video' look

Until I master the settings I will have varied results which some folk will like and some will dislike.

Thanks for your constructive criticism, it helps me a lot.

When I shot Super 8 film, it was the mid 1970's ... now in to my 60's it is nice to be able to re process films with modern technology
    Last edited by super8rescue; 11th Dec 2020 at 15:14.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    The example I shared was an image sequence captured as jpg on the wolverine scanner, and processed as an image sequence in Film9 but I agree, I have a lot to learn with the settings of Film9

I would be interested to know how to use third party scripts with Film9.

I do like the very clean look with no grain, keeping things authentic is much better.
    It is fun to process these precious gems with film9, super8rescue, I agree. I also had - and still have - a lot to learn while using it but the results are worth it.

concerning the degraining unfortunately using a high setting for degrain tends to ditch quite some level of detail (at least percieved detail) - something you normally don't want to happen after having spent a lot of time and money to have detailed scans... By carefully adjusting it (i never had to use the double or tripple degrain) I was able to get nice degraining while retaining a detailed look that is not percieved as flat/one-dimensional

As to the sharpening in my opinion the setting is too high leaving halos around the objects - but that is only my opinion. I settled for two processing runs for sharpening (the second one right at the end of all other processing and with the lowest possible setting) - that gave me some pretty nice sharpening and detail without too much artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OulrI4yaz64

But then again it all depends on the raw material...
    Quote Quote  

20. As to the sharpening in my opinion the setting is too high leaving halos around the objects - but that is only my opinion. I settled for two processing runs for sharpening (the second one right at the end of all other processing and with the lowest possible setting) - that gave me some pretty nice sharpening and detail without too much artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OulrI4yaz64

But then again it all depends on the raw material...
    The example you posted looks very clean.
    I will take note of your workflow and give a try next time I am 'cleaning'

For certain, slow moving shots look better with different settings to fast moving shots.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 14th Dec 2020 at 07:51.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi Gelinox.

I wonder if I might make a suggestion if you decide to release a new version one day.

I often find I want to make several versions of the same cine reel with Film9 with different settings.

Each time I do a new process of the same reel, Film9 has to re write the same uncompressed file in the first pass of processing.

Would it be possible to have an option to keep the first pass uncompressed file, so it can be used again for a second or third or fourth time, and then an option not to keep it after processing.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 1st Jan 2021 at 12:36.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Gelinox I wonder if you can resolve this problem please
    I am trying to process a 5 minute sound mp4 video file.

No matter if I set it to mute audio or choose any of the audio choices for the .mov output I set up, I get this error before beginning any settings
    [Attachment 56182 - Click to enlarge]

Adding another mp4 file with sound, and choosing mp4/ mp3 or aac output, I get this error when I hit RENDER, if I set it to silent, it works.
    [Attachment 56183 - Click to enlarge]

I have the K Lite codec pack installed windows 10 is that the problem, should I have the mega pack, it warns me I will lose the H264 codec if I install it
    [Attachment 56184 - Click to enlarge]
    Hi All

I get exactly the same errors, no matter what type of file I am trying to restore. I end up having to extract the audio, any help with this would be useful, as the software really does a great job of cleaning old footage, it just doesn’t seem to like any of the audio formats. I have installed the codecs using the film 9 software. So not sure why it doesn’t work. Hope someone can help, or explain what audio formats the files need to be, as it doesn’t mention it in the guide.

Cheers

DMS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi DMS

Since I posted that error message, Film9 seems to be working for me now with audio.

I can't explain why.

Sorry I can't give you an explanation other than the update to the codec pack as mentioned by Andy M 'may' have been of help in my case.
    Quote Quote  
  24. VirtualDub is missing some audio codec which should have been activated by the default installation of KLite megapack.
    I am attaching Gilles answer to you, who has already answered a user who had the same problem:

- You launch Virtualdub with Film9
    - You go to the "Audio" menu and check "Full processing mode"
    - Go back to the "Audio" menu and click on "Compression"
    - You now have an Audio codec list.

[Attachment 56715 - Click to enlarge]

Compare this list with the audio codecs you have.
    Reinstall K-Lite MegaPack by selecting the missing codecs.

Ragards.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    VirtualDub is missing some audio codec which should have been activated by the default installation of KLite megapack.
    I am attaching Gilles answer to you, who has already answered a user who had the same problem:

- You launch Virtualdub with Film9
    - You go to the "Audio" menu and check "Full processing mode"
    - Go back to the "Audio" menu and click on "Compression"
    - You now have an Audio codec list.

[Attachment 56715 - Click to enlarge]

Compare this list with the audio codecs you have.
    Reinstall K-Lite MegaPack by selecting the missing codecs.

Ragards.
    Hi Gelinox

Thanks for this info, it didnt work to begin with, but i have just updated to the latest codec mega pack and it is now working, thanks for your help.

Cheers

DMS
    Last edited by DMS; 9th Jan 2021 at 12:48.
    Quote Quote  
  26. im getting this issue everytime i try to do anything with a mp4 file
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	56760  

Quote Quote  
  27. Hello,

There was a previous installation of Avisynth before the installation of Film9.
    You must uninstall Avisynth completely, including the "avisynth.dll" DLLs located in the "System32" and "SysWov64" directories (if present).

Then go to the "Preferences" menu of Film9 and click on the "Avisynth" button.
    Do not change anything in the default installation parameters.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Hello,

There was a previous installation of Avisynth before the installation of Film9.
    You must uninstall Avisynth completely, including the "avisynth.dll" DLLs located in the "System32" and "SysWov64" directories (if present).

Then go to the "Preferences" menu of Film9 and click on the "Avisynth" button.
    Do not change anything in the default installation parameters.

Regards

Thank you very much .... works perfect now .. happy days
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Hello people.

I installed the latest Film9 with Version 15.9.5 Mega Klite Codec Pack, but when I open a movie in VirtualDub with one of the commands, image is uspide down.
    And it's still upside down after the rendering of the movie.
    could you please help
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hello,

Yes, we can help you, by advising you to read the user manual ... page 18 for example.
    Klite has nothing to do with your problem.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!