VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I took a fragment from this DVD5, I think the quality is horrible but it is to my knowledge the best available source of this movie.

The frames seem to jump, it even seems there is optical vertical distortion between frames and I have questions about the aspect ratio as well.

Any ideas on improving this?

sample.m2v
    Quote Quote  
  2. With that kind of crap (and I've seen a lot) I usually use QTGMC followed by a SelectEven or Odd, depending on which field looks better.

Next time please choose a better scene for a sample. That one is quite dark with very little movement.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Looks like field warping - the upper and lower fields don't align properly. If you use AssumeTFF().SeparateFields() and step though it, you can see this demonstrated nicely.

I agree with manono, QTGMC with selecteven/odd will "fix" many of the problems
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 16th Dec 2014 at 19:26.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally interlaced PAL, badly deinterlaced, + resized incorrectly and won't display 2.35:1 image at 16:9 DAR. Even frames are more distorted than the Odd. AssumeTFF().QTGMC().SelectOdd()
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally interlaced PAL, badly deinterlaced, + resized incorrectly and won't display 2.35:1 image at 16:9 DAR.
    [rant]

It is a sad thing, they should get an award for managing to mess up so many things. Looks like the production company went bankrupt, the rights of the movie probably went to some paper company that does not have the resources, knowledge and inclination to ever reissue this movie. Another movie locked away forever from the public. There ought to be a law similar to claims on mines that if you do not publish a movie for a certain time it goes into the public domain, I am sure a lot of (amateur) telecinists would love to work on it.

[/rant]

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Even frames are more distorted than the Odd. AssumeTFF().QTGMC().SelectOdd()
    Yes, that gets rid of the 'jumping'.

Still the quality is to cry over.
    Last edited by newpball; 17th Dec 2014 at 02:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's from an analog source, some sort of tape, and it's 4:3 where a decent DVD would be 16:9. There's lots of crap out there. I've seen much worse. So have you, I think. Anyone that specializes in the obscure and the rare comes across a lot of junk DVDs. Criterion or MOC can't restore everything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Been quite a lunch hour here, getting 16:9 from this critter. Folks, upping little frames to bigger frames don't work, never does. Especially with this one. Looks to me like it was recorded 4:3 on a DVD-R from tape, meaning the original cap took up 704x576, minus ~8 pixels of head-switching noise. So some dude cropped 8 pix off the bottom and/or masked it, then cropped off the side borders (!) and stretched the image to fill the frame (!!!) -- cute newbie trick that changed the aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to about 2.42:1. Then there's the deinterlace business that shot vertical motion to hell and somehow got warped Even lines and grungy Odd lines.

I doubt anybody can recover this mess or would want to. I gave it the quickie treatment with default QTGMC all by itself, which is still a bit noisy. I guess that's the most anyone should bother with. Being insane, I did a second, longer script with help from RemoveDirt, some QTGMC noise restoral, TemporalSoften to kill some flickering grunge in the darks, and sharpened and added grain back. The long script is so slow you grow old waiting for it. A learning tool if nothing else, and IMO a good case for keeping stuff interlaced. Horizontal motion is still a little nervous, and vertical motion...just forget about it. And, no, there ain't no detail -- that flew out a long time ago.

I tried resizing this to 720x440 for a display closer to 1.35:1 but it's too wrecked, even for that, so I left the stretched image as-is.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by LMotlow; 17th Dec 2014 at 16:45.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!