VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I wonder if someone can tell me of a AVI video editor that will allow me to shorten a video by deleting a section that I want removed. Such that the original video is saved without the unwanted piece, i.e. shorter.

However, I also would like it such that it allows me the option to also save the (unwanted section which I am deleting) to a different file name.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any editor that both cuts and saves the deleted parts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should be able to do this quite easily in VirtualDub. I recommend you make sure that "Direct stream copy" is selected in both the video and audio menus - but be aware that this may not allow for perfect frame-accurate cuts (depending on your source).

You'll need to output twice: once for the bits you're keeping, and then invert the cuts to save the bits you're deleting into a different file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr Chris View Post
    You should be able to do this quite easily in VirtualDub. I recommend you make sure that "Direct stream copy" is selected in both the video and audio menus - but be aware that this may not allow for perfect frame-accurate cuts (depending on your source).
    But it wont save the deleted parts. In one step. Of course can you do it in several steps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by Mr Chris View Post
    You should be able to do this quite easily in VirtualDub. I recommend you make sure that "Direct stream copy" is selected in both the video and audio menus - but be aware that this may not allow for perfect frame-accurate cuts (depending on your source).
    But it wont save the deleted parts. In one step. Of course can you do it in several steps.
    Well, I was thinking along the lines of the batch manager, but I realise now we may be reading the question differently, as it's not entirely clear.

Spearfishman, when you say you want to edit the video but also "save the unwanted section which I am deleting" - do you mean save just that bit you're deleting, or do you mean save the whole original video intact?
    Quote Quote  
  6. For VirtualDub if you mark the beginning and end of the section you want to remove, the "File/Save as AVI" menu will then save just the highlighted section. Hitting the delete key will remove it, and "File/Save As AVI" again will save the rest.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!