VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Handbrake, and would like to know of the best way to encode this DVD I have;
    It's a recent release of a 2003 anime, from what I could see from some tests this anime is 23.976 fps, but the opening was 'localized' a bit and some parts use 29.97 fps, so this would mean I use 'same as source' and variable framerate to encode, right?

Except the disc is hard telecined so I enabled the detelecine filter in HB but the parts in the opening I mentioned still have combing artifacts, so I figured why not use the decomb filter as well? So I did and it worked.

What I want to know is am I missing something? Or can I cut down on some settings? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by xAlienxx; 14th Dec 2014 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by xAlienxx View Post
    I'm using Handbrake, and would like to know of the best way to encode this DVD I have;
    It's a recent release of a 2003 anime, from what I could see from some tests this anime is 23.976 fps, but the opening was 'localized' a bit and some parts use 29.97 fps, so this would mean I use 'same as source' and variable framerate to encode, right?
    Wrong. DVD is 29.976 NTSC/25fps PAL, interlaced or telecined. Always. There's no such thing as "23.976" or variable frame rate DVD or SD-BluRay/AVCHD, so I'd suppose that those formats aren't what you want for final output. You likely have a hard-telecined movie with interlaced media mixed in.

Except the disc is hard telecined so I enabled the detelecine filter in HB but the parts in the opening I mentioned still have combing artifacts, so I figured why not use the decomb filter as well? So I did and it worked.
    Probably not. You applied a decomb to the entire video when only the opening titles needed it?

What I want to know is am I missing something? Or can I cut down on some settings? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    No one here has seen any part of the unprocessed original, so one can only guess about what you're dealing with.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. The easiest way for you to address the mixed frame rates (of the original source) is to bob deinterlace the video and encode at 59.94 fps (NTSC). Or you could leave the video interlaced and use the "tff" or "bff" flag (whichever is right for the source) in the Extra Options box on the Video tab.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Wrong. DVD is 29.976 NTSC/25fps PAL, interlaced or telecined. Always. There's no such thing as "23.976" or variable frame rate DVD or SD-BluRay/AVCHD, so I'd suppose that those formats aren't what you want for final output. You likely have a hard-telecined movie with interlaced media mixed in.
    Hope I didn't come off as a total newb, this show is definitely 23.976 fps, I have the undubbed version(not a DVD) which is using the same framerate. I encoded a bunch of tests and segments in the opening are too jerky after detelecining and setting to 23.97 the actual content isn't. The output with the described settings gave me a file that shows as 26.87 fps in VLC but playback in the target device worked acceptably well anyway.

Well whatever, I'll just post some samples here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g6pk5ohno2uso82/AAAYh7_RDvxmFo5nApH9YFaLa?dl=0

If you see the opening one in the two detelecined samples you still get combing on what I think is every frame.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The easiest way for you to address the mixed frame rates (of the original source) is to bob deinterlace the video and encode at 59.94 fps (NTSC). Or you could leave the video interlaced and use the "tff" or "bff" flag (whichever is right for the source) in the Extra Options box on the Video tab.
    Noted, however the last time I used 59.94 the player I use freaked out a bit; it played really fast and then really slow iirc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Every sample you posted has been reprocessed and re-encoded to a another format with Handbrake. All bets are off. We thought from your post #1 that you were working with a "DVD". You didn't say you were working with someone's butchered mkv version of a movie that you received somehow.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Dec 2014 at 03:02.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, those are useless. Even the ones labeled as not filtered have been resized, and resizing is a filter, too. And the resizing prevents us (me, anyway) from being able to tell what's going on in the opening segment. The main body of the episode does seem to be hard telecine. Please upload a couple of samples direct from the DVD. Actually one will do, one from the opening segment you say is real 29.97fps. If you don't know how to make them, just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Manono's right, we need his suggested samples from the DVD original. You can cut unprocessed samples from MPEG or VOB using the free DGIndex utility. A former member posted a nifty tuitorial a while back: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing?p=2272359&viewful...=1#post2272359

One of those things that takes longer to describe than to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Even from the processed samples it's obvious the body of the series is 24p and the titles are 30i. Though, be careful. It's not uncommon for animated content to switch between 24p and 30i when effects are added after a hard telecine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m62a76uoohiqto9/ZB-89_op.m2v?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d362kj41onljx05/ZB-89.m2v?dl=0

I do know resizing filters the image, otherwise the columns would not be correctly aligned, I only meant I wasn't applying de- filters.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The body looks like straight 3:2 pulldown. The intro is 30i but it has missing and blended fields. What a mess!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Yep, that intro's a mess. Frankly I'm no good at blended frames, but I did hit it with yadif and srestore to get 25fps with dupes removed-- but still with some blends. Missing frames, too, looks like several at a pop sometimes.

I have some TV recordings originating from Australia and imported for NTSC. They have odd interlacing of 3 frames at a time, pretty odd. QTGMC and srestore straightened it out. But the broadcast station has a logo at the start showing various scenery from the local area. Okay, I don't need those intros, right? But they look nice and I just want 'em there. They're straight interlaced video, 29.97fps. I just keep 'em as -is, and keep them separate. I encode the 23.976 program part with 3:2 pulldown. When I author for DVD I just append that 29.97 intro to the 29.97 episode, and it works just fine because the authoring program sees both segments as 29.97 interlaced. Works every time.

But how to clean up this particular intro for app0ending later? Be interesting to see it done.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention: the DVD itself isn't variable frame rate. It plays at 29.97, whether with screwball structure for the intro to get it to 29.97, and the rest using simple pulldown.

[EDIT] playing with it, the intro looks like 23.976fps or maybe 24fps that used pulldown to get it up to 25fps, then interlaced. Or maybe the same thing in reverse, interlaced and then pulldown applied. Seems like going about it the hard way. Awaiting results.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 15th Dec 2014 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    [EDIT] playing with it, the intro looks like 23.976fps or maybe 24fps that used pulldown to get it up to 25fps, then interlaced.
    No, there are at least 44 unique frames per second in the intro. There were more but they only appear as blends in the fields. Then there's the missing frames...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    44 hmmm. Okay, I'll take your word for it (I didn't count). You know better than I, because I'm still trying to figure out what the maker started with, and then what the hell they did with it. What really doesn't make sense (to me) is those missing frames.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Even from the processed samples it's obvious the body of the series is 24p and the titles are 30i.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The body looks like straight 3:2 pulldown. The intro is 30i but it has missing and blended fields. What a mess!
    It turns out not to have been so obvious. Which is exactly why I said I couldn't tell from the earlier samples what was going on in the opening segment. I spotted what looked to be interlacing with blending all over the place.

Since there are already missing frames and frames combined into blended fields, I see no reason not to unblend it and bring the whole thing back to 23.976fps. It plays reasonably smoothly and removes most of the blending:

Yadif(Mode=1)
    SRestore(frate=29.97)
    Tdecimate(Cycle=15,CycleR=3)

There are still the missing frames but otherwise not so bad, and better, in my opinion, than just bobbing to 59.94fps or what encoding at variable framerate keeping that part at 29.97fps will produce. And you get the added benefit of better compression. Of course, this isn't anything one can do in Handbrake. But then, anyone serious about working with anime should be using AviSynth to begin with.
    Last edited by manono; 15th Dec 2014 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the input. I had yadif and srestore right off (maybe I'm getting a little better at this stuff from tracking your posts?), but I got the cycle and cycleR wrong. Worked tolerably well here. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks for the help guys, I don't jump into complicated things if I can avoid them and in this case it's just unnecessary to me. I'm only doing this for a few episodes anyway.

Interestingly enough I was comparing the episode to the original version and found that same segment appears in the ending. So I guess at some point it was 23.976 fps and the censor people decided to make use of it. You'll notice that it is much slower and of course animated so I think that explains the missing frames.
    http://youtu.be/nCydVyKVDec?t=28s
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by xAlienxx View Post
    You'll notice that it is much slower and of course animated so I think that explains the missing frames.
    http://youtu.be/nCydVyKVDec?t=28s
    That one is from a PAL 25fps source. It has a duplicate frame every second so it probably was from a 24fps source before being converted for PAL.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!