VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the exact same issue.. although I shouldnt say because it's repeating the same comment in different posts. i hope we find a answer, without asking anyone but Yourself & Me. But I dont know. do you?? QUOTE=pastimperfect;2165464]Thanks; this is helpful.

I purchased a HDMI->DVI cable and a blu-ray player.

For now, I will run audion through the RCA cables, but may convert to digital at some point.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by adam_raymur; 13th Dec 2014 at 20:35. Reason: whas told not to mention my question in other posts. had to remove gracefully
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I do not believe that connecting a Blu-Ray player to a typical computer monitor like the Samsung 2494SW will work. TVs can can accept video input with more frame rates, resolutions, and color systems than a typical consumer LCD monitor. The Samsung 2494SW is HDCP compliant, as is required for commercial Blu-Ray discs, but 1920x1080 progressive output at 60 Hz is required for your monitor to display the video properly using a DVI-D input.

DVD and Blu-ray video support frame rates that your monitor can't handle. While a Blu-ray player can be set up to output everything at 1080p, I do not believe a Blu-Ray player can automatically convert video to 60 frames per second to be monitor-friendly.

The NextVision N4 converted video to monitor-friendly 75Hz or 60Hz.

[Edit]Not having a Blu-Ray player yet, I did not know that they can be set to output 24Hz or 60Hz. I just found out. With 1080p, 60Hz selected for output, a Blu-Ray player should be OK for use with a LCD monitor.
    Yes, but none will provide Audio without a HDMI connection. DVI doesnt give sound
    Last edited by adam_raymur; 13th Dec 2014 at 20:39. Reason: i scrambled the words so not to offend. gota make this point
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pastimperfect View Post
    Thanks; this is helpful.

I purchased a HDMI->DVI cable and a blu-ray player.

For now, I will run audion through the RCA cables, but may convert to digital at some point.
    what if the player doesnt have RCA jacks, & only HDMI output. where's the audio when the Monitor is DVI? "My problem"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Samsung blu-ray player has a HDMI output only. Wow the answer is "the Monitor must have hdmi also" ..
    Last edited by adam_raymur; 13th Dec 2014 at 20:47. Reason: my question was answered by myself
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And can we go for 6 in a row ?!?!

Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please post any other similar questions in this thread,i moved the others here.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Take a look at the DVI specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
    What you'll notice if you read between the lines is that NO MENTION is made about audio. That's because...wait for it...DVI stands for digital visual interface. So it only works on the visual.
    HDMI, on the other hand, stands for Hi-Def Multimedia Interface. Meaning it covers BOTH video + audio.

So, yes, you would need some kind of splitter box. And NO, they are neither simple nor cheap (as there is lots of EDID functionality testing, common format negotiation, and encryption-maintenance handshaking going on inside).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Monoprice and Amazon both have converters that pass HDMI and tap the audio to TOSlink and RCA jacks, for about $50. Perhaps someone has some experience with them? They do look like a useful device, which would let me connect our HDMI-only disc player to our 70s-vintage stereo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Be VERY CAREFUL you double-check that the product you are looking at guarantees passing through all the signals that you want it to, and that it fully and properly supports passing through HDCP on the DVI leg and SCMS on the SPDIF/TOSlink leg (if using dig audio). Otherwise, your components will probably not complete all the handshakes necessary to put out a signal at all, or it will only provide SD resolution, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    Monoprice and Amazon both have converters that pass HDMI and tap the audio to TOSlink and RCA jacks, for about $50. Perhaps someone has some experience with them? They do look like a useful device, which would let me connect our HDMI-only disc player to our 70s-vintage stereo.
    Great ad. sure I'd buy one. but there only $20. "with every question the answer is buy a cable" $50? RCA cables
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Step away from the crack pipe!!!!!!!!
    Lmao!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    adam_raymur our new member asked this in another cross-posted thread.
    With only HDMI output on the blu-ray player & DVI/AVI input on the HP Monitor (no hdmi). Where does the audio 3.5mm jack "pc speakers" connect? do i need a converter? I have a HDMI to DVI cable already & it provides an exellent picture, but no sound. Blu-ray player + HD Monitor = great picture & no sound. Please Help. Thanks
    The only thing I have seen that might work is an HDMI to DVI and stereo audio converter similar to this, which the description claims may be used to connect a Blu-Ray player (among other things) to a monitor:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-to-DVI-cable-converter-coaxial-stereo-audio-output-with-p...-/271703246555

Connect the HDMI out from the Blu-ray player to the converter box with an HDMI cable.
    Connect the converter's DVI out to the HP monitor's DVI in with a DVI cable.
    Connect the converter's audio out (NOT coaxial) to "pc speakers" with a 3.5mm PC speaker cable.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Dec 2014 at 23:56.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!