VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, is there a free software out there where I can convert very high quality videos like 720p or 1080 p videos to 480p? One of my laptops can only play videos in 480p format but when it plays 720p or 1080p files, there is a lag in the motion picture.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All converters can resize. You can try the free handbrake or vidcoder. Under the picture tab can you change the resolution. Convert to mp4 or mkv and use the normal preset(for slower devices).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try different video players on your slow laptop. Like SMPlayer, PotPlayer, VLC Media Player and see if they play hd material better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can also try different video players on your slow laptop. Like SMPlayer, PotPlayer, VLC Media Player and see if they play hd material better.
    players wont work but I will try the converters you mention. Are these these the best free converters out there to convert mkv to mp4 files? Are there anymore you will recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Freelife2345 View Post
    Are there anymore you will recommend?
    Almost every free video converter uses x264 encoder to encode video and x264 encoder is the best H.264 consumer grade encoder. Handbrake and Vidcoder are easiest to use and use x264. Just choose High Profile preset and change Width to 720.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    Originally Posted by Freelife2345 View Post
    Are there anymore you will recommend?
    Almost every free video converter uses x264 encoder to encode video and x264 encoder is the best H.264 consumer grade encoder. Handbrake and Vidcoder are easiest to use and use x264. Just choose High Profile preset and change Width to 720.
    I am trying to use vidcoder but when I went to edit in the settings, sometimes I am not able to get the right and left or top and bottom numbers to come out equal to make it 720 x 480. Am I doing something wrong
    Quote Quote  
  7. 720x480 source aspect ratio is 3:2. Your video does not have 3:2 SAR so you can not set resolution to 720x480. Just set Width to 720 and let VidCoder set Height to correct value.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is no such (real) thing as "source/storage aspect ratio" - there is pixel (sample) aspect ratio and display (frame) aspect ratio, and source (or target) resolutions.
    Source AR is just a lazy shortcut from using the actual resolutions.

Since your 720p and 1080p videos are 16:9 DAR, you can:
    pick "keep aspect ratio" and then choose Anamorphic NONE to make it 720x404 (square PAR, 16:9 DAR), or (better) make it 852x480 (same PAR, same DAR), or better still - if your player can handle it - make it 720x480 using Anamorphic 16:9 (32/27 PAR).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Actually the most commonly used 480p is 854x480

You can try this with FFMPEG (Guessing you keep the same audio format)

ffmpeg.exe -i "INPUT_FILE" -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -s 854x480 "OUTPUT"

You can try with the quality commands also like adding
    1.crf 18-25
    OR

2.b:v 500k,600k etc. if you want to set with bitrates

If you decide to go with bitrate i recommend you use a bitrate calculator to find the best size:bitrate
    Last edited by Adithya; 23rd Mar 2016 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I like to use XMediaRecode for such projects as it includes many useful filters: you can preview the end result, correct aspect ratio if necessary, crop, etc. But remember that recoding degrades video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I normally use MeGUI or Tx264 and these profiles

Code:
    http://freetexthost.com/e0fh1xzabw
    Last edited by Acımasız; 29th Dec 2014 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!