VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo) that I swapped into my CPU That I removed from a previous HP Pavilion several yrs ago.

I did manage to copy some VHS tapes. This is how I did it.
    I had Cox internet and Cable TV service. So I could bring up a TV guide and record programs with my Windows 7 media.
    I would just select something to record from the TV guide, then switch the input from Cox coaxial cable to input from the VCR.
    It would record the VCR input thinking it was the Cox TV input. But now I have Direct TV so I can't get a TV guide list on my media player.
    Don't know how I can get a TV signal on my PC. My internet Is AT&T. So the coaxial cable that used to supply internet to my PC also brought TV to my PC.

Just trying to get TV tuner card to receive input from my VCR. VCR only has 1 audio and 1 video in and 1 of each out. also has coaxial ANT IN and a coaxial RF out.

I have an occasional VHS tape From a old Sewer inspection camera system ( SEA Snake By Rigid ) that still records with a VHS tape.

any Ideas??

Found an old forum post I started on another forum back in 2011. Not much help then and Not much help now.
    listed link just as a reference as to what I did then http://forums.techarena.in/monitor-video-cards/1405269.htm

is there an adapter I can buy to connect VCR to a usb port?
    Last edited by Krazedav; 13th Dec 2014 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing??? Nobody have anything ?? So what do I need to copy my VHS to digital so I can edit and the copy to DVD? Just buy a DVD recorder that I can plug my VHS into ??
    Have any Plumbing Issues?
    Look for me "MR_David on plumbingforms.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've read your original post several times and have NO IDEA what you are trying to say.
    You want to capture VHS tapes.....got it.
    This is your capture device....OK....what is it?....what kind of connections/inputs does it have.
    You've captured VHS to PC before with this device?
    Why all of the cable company and cable box talk?
    I'm lost.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Krazedav View Post
    Like hech54, I'm baffled. Maybe this is the kind of thing you are asking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Camcorders-supporting-composite-connection/dp/B000VM60I8/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think the cable company talk was all about trying to select the line input in Windows 7 Media Center.

I would suggest trying VirtualDub, but it's an MPEG-2 hardware encoder so that's unlikely to work. A crafty person might be able to get it functioning in GraphEdit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that GraphStudio or Graphedit would likely work well for this (and offers a free solution), although learning to create and use filter graphs for capturing can be a challenge for novices.

My best guess is that originally the OP had Cox analog cable service and was tricking WMC into capturing VHS from analog channel 3 using his TV card's analog tuner. If so, to continue using WMC for this, the OP would need to set up WMC as if it were being used to control a satellite receiver or cable box and recording via coax on channel 3, composite, or S-Video. Installing an MCE-compatible IR Receiver/IR Blaster and remote would be necessary to complete the setup procedure. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007&cm_re=windows_media_ce...-007-_-Product

I couldn't find out anything about the ViXS PureTV-U 48B0e TV card using Google search. If Krazedav returns he'll need to answer the questions regarding the types of connections/inputs are available on the ViXS PureTV-U 48B0e and confirm what he was doing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I've read your original post several times and have NO IDEA what you are trying to say.
    You want to capture VHS tapes.....got it.
    This is your capture device....OK....what is it?....what kind of connections/inputs does it have.
    You've captured VHS to PC before with this device?
    Why all of the cable company and cable box talk?
    I'm lost.
    Thanks for the reply. I sort of gave up on it. Cable TV part was the only way I could get My PC to capture VHS out put with what I had available.
    My internet and Cable TV all came in on the same cable. So splitting the cable and connecting one to my PC TV card I could use my PC like a TV.

So I would just record what ever was on channel 2.
    The VHS plyr out put was also channel 2.
    Old VHS player you would have to switch TV to channel 2 to watch VHS.
    I would just unplug the cable TV input from the PC TV card and connect the VHS player.
    I can get TV on my PC from my current Satellite provider but it would be streamed from the internet, not from a coaxial cable so I can't fool it by making the TV card think the input is from the cable TV connection
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I agree that GraphStudio or Graphedit would likely work well for this (and offers a free solution), although learning to create and use filter graphs for capturing can be a challenge for novices.

My best guess is that originally the OP had Cox analog cable service and was tricking WMC into capturing VHS from analog channel 3 using his TV card's analog tuner. If so, to continue using WMC for this, the OP would need to set up WMC as if it were being used to control a satellite receiver or cable box and recording via coax on channel 3, composite, or S-Video. Installing an MCE-compatible IR Receiver/IR Blaster and remote would be necessary to complete the setup procedure. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007&cm_re=windows_media_ce...-007-_-Product

I couldn't find out anything about the ViXS PureTV-U 48B0e TV card using Google search. If Krazedav returns he'll need to answer the questions regarding the types of connections/inputs are available on the ViXS PureTV-U 48B0e and confirm what he was doing.
    Yes I was tricking it as you described it. Thank you, Usually_quiet. I think I have all those connection on my TV card but The out puts on my VHS player are limited. It's late so I will try to better answer this later.
    " Installing an MCE-compatible IR Receiver/IR Blaster and remote would be necessary to complete the setup procedure."
    Not sure what this means but I'll do a little research to enlighten myself before I come back.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_qevxUxFdE

You don't actually use the IR blaster to control anything if you are recording from a VCR. You would just be fooling WMC again, this time making it think that you have a cable box or satellite receiver attached rather than a VCR. However, WMC requires users to install an an IR receiver-IR blaster to be set up for this. You can't use just any MCE IR receiver. The IR receiver must have an IR blaster, and you must plug in the IR blaster cables even if you aren't actually going to use them to control anything. WMC will not allow you to complete the set up procedure or capture afterwards without it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the video link.
    I don't have set top box in my office I can use with my PC so I can use the IR blaster on the remote sensor as in the video.
    I watched the Vid a few times.
    I might have one of those IR blasters some where . I think I got one with a Sony Smart TV but never used it. I'll have to go look for it.
    Previously I had a direct cable connection I can receive basic TV channels with no set top box. I can't do that with my satellite TV because my cable is no longer functional. I think I can get TV to my PC via the internet by streaming. Haven't tried that but even if I could I can't fool the internet stream with a VCR input.

Not sure about how the IR receiver is connected to the computer in the video you linked me to. . Is that a USB connection?
    Is the purpose of the IR receiver and blaster to link the remote to the PC?.

Not sure the purpose of the IR receiver IR blaster connection.

Here's my VCR connection and my TV card connections
    I only have 2 out put connections I can use on the VCR. RF out & audio/Video but NO audio/video in on PC TV card

So if I find this IR receiver I still need a set topbox in another room with a really long cable to reach my PC maybe? But I don't want to start messing with the The setups on the other TV's
    Image Attached Images    
    Last edited by Krazedav; 27th Dec 2014 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krazedav View Post
    Thanks for the video link. I don't have set top box in my office I can use with my PC so I can't use the IR blaster on the remote sensor as in the video.
    You don't actually need s set top box if all you want to do is record from the VCR. You could set up WMC for any set top box and say the IR blaster worked even if you have no way to tell that it did. However you really do need the IR receiver-IR blaster and remote to complete the set up procedure and record, even if it technically it serves no other purpose. I have actually used WMC to capture from something other than a cable box with this kind of set up.

Use composite and the white stereo audio port to connect the VCR and the TV card in your PC. It is the best connection available on both devices.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Dec 2014 at 11:35. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Like hech54, I'm baffled. Maybe this is the kind of thing you are asking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Camcorders-supporting-composite-connection/dp/B000VM60I8/
    Do you think this will work with My VCR connections. ?????????
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the video link. I don't have set top box in my office I can use with my PC so I can't use the IR blaster on the remote sensor as in the video.
    You don't actually need s set top box if all you want to do is record from the VCR. You could set up WMC for any set top box and say the IR blaster worked even if you have no way to tell that it did. However you really do need the IR receiver-IR blaster and remote to complete the set up procedure and record, even it technically it serves no other purpose. I have actually used WMC to capture from something other than a cable box with this kind of set up.

Use composite and stereo audio to connect the VCR and the TV card in your PC. It is the best connection available on both devices.
    In the video it shows attaching blaster to front of set top . No set Top so do I just plug it into the PC with out attaching to a set top like in video?
    and which is composite?
    I see the Stereo audio RED/white.
    the 3 coaxial connection are labeled FM CATV ATSC
    and then the S-VID I

I found the IR thing I thought I had but it is just and extender for the remote that came with the Smart TV. That's not gonna help
    Last edited by Krazedav; 27th Dec 2014 at 12:47.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

In the video it shows attaching blaster to front of set top . No set Top so do I just plug it into the PC with out attaching to a set top like in video?
    Yes. You plug the blaster cable into the port on the back of the IR receiver and don't attach the emitter to anything. WMC can't detect whether or not the emitter is attached to a set top box.

and which is composite?
    I see the Stereo audio RED/white.
    the 3 coaxial connection are labeled FM CATV ATSC
    and then the S-VID I
    I have to re think this. What I though was composite video on the capture card is not. I only saw it was something else after enlarging the picture

[Edit]You need to use the VCR's RF out and the TV card's CATV connection by itself and select whatever channel the VCR uses for its RF out as the connection when setting up WMC for a set top box.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Dec 2014 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just ran the WMC setup again. with the VCR RF out connected to the CATV on TV card. It did detect a set top box. then next step.

Now it says to connect IR Reciever.

Previously I did not understand this when I came to it. so I can still do this if I get an IR with a an IR blaster. do I attach it to the IR receiver on the VCR just like he did in Video or just connect the receiver to the PC with USB and leave the blaster loose?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    QUOTE]
    Yes. You plug the blaster cable into the port on the back of the IR receiver and don't attach the emitter to anything. WMC can't detect whether or not the emitter is attached to a set top box.

[Edit]You need to use the VCR's RF out and the TV card's CATV connection by itself and select whatever channel the VCR uses for its RF out as the connection when setting up WMC for a set top box.
    Okay Thanks You have been a big help. I almost got it to work with out the IR receiver..

After WMC examined my TV connection I got 1 settop box and I choose other options

I went to manually configure TV. I choose analog Antenna. Then cable, then told it I had Cox. It downloaded cox TV guide. That's what I need to teel the gauid to watch and record channel 3 but the Video is skipping. intermmetten 1-2 sec clips/ so what do you think the better setting might be Should I choose the ATSC and reconnect to that input on the Card.. I made a video of it but that will take some time to edit and post on Youtube.

Gonna play with it some more and see what happens Thanks again

In manual configure I told it I don't have a set top box and now it is downloading guide. That is what I need is the guide. I can select a channel 3 to watch and rcord VCR but now I just have to get the right line up with how I selet the input --- could be the VCR hanging up on out put as well gonna try another tape
    Last edited by Krazedav; 27th Dec 2014 at 14:28.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just ran the WMC setup again. with the VCR RF out connected to the CATV on TV card. It did detect a set top box. then next step.

Now it says to connect IR Reciever.
    do I attach it to the IR receiver on the VCR just like he did in Video or just connect the receiver to the PC with USB and leave the blaster loose?
    You connect the USB cable for the IR receiver-blaster to the PC, and plug the blaster cable into the port on the back of the IR receiver. You don't need to attach the emitter to anything. As I wrote earlier, WMC can't detect whether or not the emitter is attached to a set top box or if channel-changing worked. You do need an IR receiver-blaster, an IR blaster cable with an emitter, and a compatible remote control for the IR receiver-blaster. Unfortunately, WMC was not designed to be set up and used for simple, timed captures with no channel changing.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I choose the ATSC and reconnect to that input on the Card.. I made a video of it but that will take some time to edit and post on Youtube.
    Don't use ATSC. That won't work because it is for over-the-air digital TV only, not analog.

If you can record using WMC with just your TV card's analog tuner that's fine. I assumed that you had tried it already and it didn't work for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got to to work. I made a video but I have to edit ti and reduce the size for better viewing. had 2 bad VHS tapes but the 3rd tape worked. Thought it was how I set it up.. Thanks a bunch i'll be back in a day or so with more Details .
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should I choose the ATSC and reconnect to that input on the Card.. I made a video of it but that will take some time to edit and post on Youtube.
    Don't use ATSC. That won't work because it is for over-the-air digital TV only, not analog.

If you can record using WMC with just your TV card's analog tuner that's fine. I assumed that you had tried it already and it didn't work for some reason.
    The information you gave me was helpful. It was how I was making choices in set up.
    Even though I don't have cable I chose cable and then selected No Set top and then selected analog cable.
    The trouble I was having was I couldn't get the set up to download a Guide list of channels.
    Then I was using a bad VHS tape. 2 actually.

Again Usually_Quite Thank you for your help.

Here's a video I made of what I did.

http://youtu.be/sOxMcWei1-k
    Last edited by Krazedav; 28th Dec 2014 at 20:28. Reason: Add Information
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!