VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was looking up the different types of S-video connections and one of the results, led me to this site! But, after registering onto this site, to make a comment, I couldn't find that specific post! But, the user was asking for the different types of S-video connectors. One post that answered him, said that he didn't know of any different types of as-video connectors? But, another post advised him, that there are different types of S-video connectors, because there are various types of media players on the market and that, as far as he knows, the connector pins go from 4 to up to 9. But, I was going to post in and advise that responder, that my satilite box has a 10 pin S-video connection! So, they do go higher then 9 pins! Because, I am having problems finding an S-video to RCA (red, white and yellow) connector cord! I know that they exist, because my son has one for his TV, but of course, he does't remember where he got it at? I tried the Walmart store and Walmart on-line, but no go!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your son's TV uses a breakout cable (also known as a dongle). The pinouts (the location and purpose of each pin) for breakout cables are not standard. What works for his TV may not work for your satellite receiver.

Your satellite receiver has a 10-pin mini-DIN connector. It is definitely not an S-Video connection. S-Video uses a mini-DIN connector with 4 pins, It always has 4 pins, and the pinout is controlled by a standard so it is always the same.

A 10-pin mini-DIN connector may be for a breakout cable that includes S-Video and stereo audio, but it could be for other video connections such as component video, stereo audio, and composite video.

Maybe if you tell us the make (Dish, DirecTV, etc.) and the model number for your satellite receiver, we can help you find the right part for the job. Otherwise we are just guessing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Dec 2014 at 07:20. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, to summarize usually_quiet: there is only 1 type of S-video connection.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. The standard s-video connector is a 4 pin mini din: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

Many graphics cards (and other devices) use a mini din socket with more pins because they can output more than s-video (composite video, component video, RGB video, audio, etc.). Often, four of the holes in the socket correspond to a standard s-video connector so a standard s-video cable can be used for s-video. If a device doesn't have that you need a special cable or pigtail adapter.

S-video can be converted to composite with a simple passive circuit:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

You can purchase little adapters that perform that conversion:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2COMPFM-S-Video-Composite-Adapter/dp/B0009EXWQQ
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TK9WH2/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only different types of S-video connectors I've ever seen, are the standard 4pin, and lockable s-video.
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The lockable is still a standard 4-pin, but with a lockable collar. IOW, you can still use standard 4-pin cables to connect, you just won't be assured that it will stay stuck in the jack, to the degree that you can with lockables.

What jagabo and usually_quiet were talking about was that there are a number of jacks out there that are "combo" jacks. They cover a number of connection types: Component, Composite, S-video, etc. They then "break apart" or "fan out" into their constituent format (using their standard connectors). The 9-pin mini DIN is one of those. That's why those kinds of connectors are called "breakout" or "fan out" cables. But the standard S-video connection ALONE is still only of one kind.

It would be a LOT easier if you just worked this problem in the other direction: what device does this user need a connection for? What is their ultimate need?
    (example: he needs to connect up his xxx video card with his yyy SVHS deck)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also, be careful when looking for n-pin din adapter cables. There is no standard so different devices need a different adapter. Even if the number of pins is the same the location of the pins may not be. So a 7 pin din adapter from one company may not fit in the 7 pin socket from another company. And even if the adapter fits in the socket the signals on the pins may not be the same.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Also, be careful when looking for n-pin din adapter cables. There is no standard so different devices need a different adapter. Even if the number of pins is the same the location of the pins may not be. So a 7 pin din adapter from one company may not fit in the 7 pin socket from another company. And even if the adapter fits in the socket the signals on the pins may not be the same.
    Yes. I went looking for a dongle for the OP's satellite box. I found two different dongles for DIRECTV satellite boxes available on Amazon. They are each for specific models, and are not interchangeable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Directv-Dtv-Pin-Composite-Only/dp/B00BDXBBJ2
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R9O2PC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944579862

...but without more information from the OP there is no way to tell if he has any of these boxes, and whether the composite video dongle is the correct accessory for his box. Notice that neither dongle includes S-Video among its connections.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Dec 2014 at 19:51.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!