VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I will try to explain this as best I can. I run a large video wall and when I play a video on the video wall every image that has a very dark or black background has multicolored block in and around it. It moves with the image until the image moves away or out of the dark background. Is this mosquito noise? All inputs and outputs to the wall are DVI. I am using an ATI Firepro V8800 video card for the GPU.
    I have attached an image as an example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Brian
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141209_144808.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	677.9 KB
ID:	29032  

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Those are compression artifacts.

Most likely the video was rendered too dark, compressed and then when the darks were boosted at view time those artifacts came to light.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you try another video?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. The same thing happens on other video's I have downloaded but not ones that are made in house. I am happy they are compression artifacts and not hardware failure. Is there a way to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only way to get a better video is to buy the discs,no way to fix compression artifacts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you very much for your help. At least I know it is not me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Another question;

We tried playing eve-online on the wall to test 3D images on the wall. This also showed compression artifacts. Are the compression artifacts also due to low quality video? Or can this be related to internet speeds?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's due to how the video was encoded with too low of a bitrate.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think you just blowing up those vids so much so that you can see all the faults like those artifacts. Try looking at it with a normal sized TV and I bet those artifacts go away. Low bitrate and low resolution will give you those bad results on your multi-screen wall.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Great,

Thank you again. And now the final question:

Are there any courses I can take to help me better understand all of this? I found myself in charge of a 5X7 video wall and need to get better aquainted with the technological factors.

Thank you

Brian
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!