VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, ive used 3 dvd authoring programmes and wrote files from mpg4 avi wmv to a dvd/r . everythig goes tickety boo untill i put it in the player and it says wrong disk...

put it in the pc and it plays straight away...

in the dvd is two folders audio and video then in vdo is the usual vob, bup and ifo .... why isnt it playing on the dvd player ... just used windows dvd maker and that wont play either ..

help much appreciated guys..

andy
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    hi, ive used 3 dvd authoring programmes
    Please name them.

just used windows dvd maker
    Never ever do that again
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sothink dvd movie maker
    windows dvd maker
    and
    avs video converter ....

shows vob and associated files in the video foler and a audio folder but wont play ... should there be some other file in the root of the disk then two folders or just two folders.. audio and video ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pls name your dvd player. Also which program ran in the PC when you said the disk played straight away.

You used a dvd-r. Maybe you have one of those rare (they do exist) players that only accept dvd+r disks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would also be helpful to know which brand of DVD you are using.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ellabbs View Post
    hi, ive used 3 dvd authoring programmes and wrote files from mpg4 avi wmv to a dvd/r
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand how you can use mpg4, avi or wmv files to author a compliant DVD video disc, for replay in a standalone player?

Surely the video files need to be mpg2...or does your selected authoring program convert the video as well?....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the avi, mpg4 or wmv files get converted to vob files and such by the programmes then i use , whats the correct structure for a dvd is it just two folders audio and video..?

ive tried two dvd disks maxell and Aone ,and win media player plays it straight away on pc.. then i use cdburnerxp to write to disk, i even used windows own writing software and just copied the two folders to disk... all to no avail..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.

Once you've authored the dvd materials, it should either:
    1. Burn straight to disc. Done, and you should have a working title.
    2. "Burn" (export) straight to an ISO disc image file, which you can then (later) burn to disc using something smart like ImgBurn. You should then also have a working title as long as you burn the ISO as a discimage and not a file.
    3. Export to the *.IFO + *.VOB + *.BUP structured files in the VIDEO_TS folder (the AUDIO_TS folder is often included for complete compatibility, but could often be ignored).

If you are getting this LAST option, the one thing you should NOT do is just "copy them to a disc", because it is imperative that they be put into certain exact sectors in a particular order (which, if you had done one of the other 2 options, it would have done for you already).
    Normal copying apps (such as Windows Explorer) and some/many burning apps do not understand the exact DVD requirements involved in order for it to play correctly. This is likely what is going on.

Luckily, if you burn them with ImgBurn (assuming everything was authored OK, which we still haven't ruled out as being a problem), it should RECOGNIZE the fact that these are DVD-Video items and will ask you "do you want me to burn them as a DVD-Video title?". You would then say, "yes, please"! and it would burn the items in the correct order & sectors, etc. And then you should have a playable disc. (If it doesn't ask the question, you aren't giving it the right stuff in the right way).

The reason things work on a PC yet not on a set top player is that the set top player is much dumber than even the dumbest PC. The PC can look for certain files by name, or by file extension, or by internal "signature" of the media. The set top just expects to look "AT THE BEGINNING", and if the contents of the VIDEO_TS.IFO isn't there to point to all the other files (and those files aren't in their rightful places), it will just throw its hands up and tell you "wrong disc!".

Scott

***If you do any one or all of those 3 methods correctly using the suggested software in the suggested manner, and it STILL isn't working, that must mean that either you aren't authoring the file correctly or aren't encoding it correctly, or both.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 8th Dec 2014 at 02:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. is it just two folders audio and video..?
    Yes. https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

However, besides the folder structure there are other requirements for a video DVD like the physical location of files on the disc. I don't know how cdburnerxp handle this but ImgBurn will regonize VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS as a video DVD.

Did you try the disc(s) with another player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds as if you're using converters to convert the .AVI, .MP4, .WMV videos directly to .VOB files, then hoping to place those on a DVD and have a playable DVD-Video disc. It won't work, that way. The .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files have to be correctly created, and the disc authored, before it'll work.

If you've simply got a bunch of random videos you'd like to turn into a playable DVD, you might prefer using something like AVS2DVD (freeware, but be aware it defaults to making PAL-format discs, last I checked), or the commercial ConvertX2DVD.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    It sounds as if you're using converters to convert the .AVI, .MP4, .WMV videos directly to .VOB files, then hoping to place those on a DVD and have a playable DVD-Video disc.
    Nope:
    Originally Posted by ellabbs View Post
    in the dvd is two folders audio and video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Nope:
    I was hoping and knew I was probably wrong, but I thought I'd cover that base anyway, given this line in the OP's most recent post:

the avi, mpg4 or wmv files get converted to vob files and such by the programmes then i use , whats the correct structure for a dvd is it just two folders audio and video..?
    I mainly just wanted to mention AVS2DVD, ConvertX2DVD, etc, at any rate.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!