VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been playing around with Overlay() to average out many frames into one and it gave me an idea. Noise always averages to 0 with enough iterations. What if we added noise to the already-noise ridden video, produce 20 of such videos each with a different pseudorandom seed and then combine them together. The pixels of the details will always be the same but because each video will have a noise grain in a different spot, it will average to 0 and thus became noise free.

The only obstacle I see to this is producing exactly the type of noise in the film which isn't exactly Gaussian noise but the familiar salt and pepper film grain.

What do you all think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    I've been playing around with Overlay() to average out many frames into one and it gave me an idea. Noise always averages to 0 with enough iterations. What if we added noise to the already-noise ridden video, produce 20 of such videos each with a different pseudorandom seed and then combine them together. The pixels of the details will always be the same but because each video will have a noise grain in a different spot, it will average to 0 and thus became noise free.
    Won't work because the noise applied will not discriminate between original nose and original content. In this case you would (ideally) only be able to get the video as it was before the additional noise was added.

Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Mephesto View Post
    The pixels of the details will always be the same but because each video will have a noise grain in a different spot, it will average to 0 and thus became noise free.
    Yes, you will perfectly remove the noise you added. But the noise in the original source is a "detail" and will not be removed.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Dec 2014 at 07:14.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're right, I just tested this out. It didn't work. DAMN IT!

It appears that this technique has been used to get rid of VHS noise though: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2734-averaging-multiple-captures.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    You're right, I just tested this out. It didn't work. DAMN IT!

It appears that this technique has been used to get rid of VHS noise though: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/2734-averaging-multiple-captures.html
    That is different from what you describe.

However muti-capture will not reduce noise it will only average out 'glitches'.

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, it will also reduce the noise AND glitches that are incurred during playback. It will not reduce noise OR glitches that are generated (and stored) at record time.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The pixels of the details will always be the same but because each video will have a noise grain in a different spot, it will average to 0 and thus became noise free.
    Yes, you will perfectly remove the noise you added. But the noise in the original source is a "detail" and will not be removed.
    If if i understood u correctly , QTGMC have a option called GrainRestore that may let you play with source detail, but i think perhaps u need play with QTGMC to understand it more so you can add more code into QTGMC to get some nice output result...
    btw it should look something like
    ex: QTGMC(Tr2=2, Preset="slower", Grainrestore=0.2, Edithreads=2)###code can be improved

or

u have to check MCTemporalDenoise too, that may do the job in this case
    here is theard for MCTD
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139766
    Last edited by BÌG•bµdd; 24th Jan 2015 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!