VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could someone recommend best mp4 recovery tool for deleted mp4 files from hardisk? Some software that was successful with highest percentage.
    Or what is the best software needed to actually make those recovered files that were recovered but are not playable to reconstruct, something like tsdoctor for transport streams, something of that kind but specifically for mp4 container?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. files that were recovered could be played with MPC-HC with ffdshow renderer and LAV splitter (internal) , picture breaks up every 3-4 seconds or so, BUT no audio is played and also no audio is even reported by mediainfo,
    original was mp4 with H.264 and AAC in it

video repair tool did not help
    Last edited by _Al_; 5th Dec 2014 at 18:05.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ffplay reports Invalid data found when processing input:

ffplay version N-59852-g785dc14 Copyright (c) 2003-2014 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Jan 14 2014 22:02:00 with gcc 4.8.2 (GCC)
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnu
    tls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --ena
    ble-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger -
    -enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-li
    bvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
    libavutil 52. 62.100 / 52. 62.100
    libavcodec 55. 48.101 / 55. 48.101
    libavformat 55. 23.103 / 55. 23.103
    libavdevice 55. 5.102 / 55. 5.102
    libavfilter 4. 1.100 / 4. 1.100
    libswscale 2. 5.101 / 2. 5.101
    libswresample 0. 17.104 / 0. 17.104
    libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
    uher.mp4: Invalid data found when processing inputsq= 0B f=0/0
    nan : 0.000 fd= 0 aq= 0KB vq= 0KB sq= 0B f=0/0
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try TestDisk
    Watch tutorial on YouTube to learn how it work.
    It bring back partitions by date, whole disc, specific folders only, etc.
    Also do SD-Cards, Ext-HD's, etc.

Good Luck.
    - http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 5th Dec 2014 at 19:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you use Windows? I'm pretty sure you can just look in the recycle bin.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have spent many hours 8+ trying to recover some accidentally deleted Gopro Mp4 files. I bought Wondershare data and photo recovery software but could not get the recovered files to play. I downloaded video repair tools like Grau GGR with limited success ( this was the best but no sound and patchy recovery). I was about to give up and tried one last time using free recovery software "Amazing Mac Any Data Recovery". To my amazement the software recovered the files perfectly - sound and all. Best of all you get 20 free recoveries all of which worked and I could not get my credit card out fast enough to pay the $50 to recover the remaining 6 files - well worth the money. I hope this saves someone some time
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crowies View Post
    I have spent many hours 8+ trying to recover some accidentally deleted Gopro Mp4 files. I bought Wondershare data and photo recovery software but could not get the recovered files to play. I downloaded video repair tools like Grau GGR with limited success ( this was the best but no sound and patchy recovery). I was about to give up and tried one last time using free recovery software "Amazing Mac Any Data Recovery". To my amazement the software recovered the files perfectly - sound and all. Best of all you get 20 free recoveries all of which worked and I could not get my credit card out fast enough to pay the $50 to recover the remaining 6 files - well worth the money. I hope this saves someone some time
    And you work for them?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My go to program to recover deleted files is PhotoRec. It was designed to recover deleted pictures on flash drives, but will work on any drive with any file type. Works well even when the drive has lots of fragmentation. No gui is available so you have to use a command line but it's simple enough, just need to follow the step by step.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
    Quote Quote  
  9. The problem with using programs to recover delete files is the state they're in. When a file's deleted, it remains on the hard disk but is marked as data that can be over-written. After this point, anything you do on that particular hard drive decreases the chance of restoring the lost files. This includes browsing the internet or installing software. Your best bet is to use a file recovery program on an external USB device and restore the lost files to the same external device. If you've already restored the files to the same drive as the original, it may be too late.

To explain further, every file that is now created, temporary files, web browser cache, installed programs, etc, has a chance of overwriting the deleted files or even portions of them. That is why when you restored the files at first, you got bits of flickering and missed portions - they'd already have been overwritten. Some programs do better jobs than others but no program does the impossible. Something free and small will definitely do the trick and I wish you the best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Could someone recommend best mp4 recovery tool for deleted mp4 files from hardisk? Some software that was successful with highest percentage.
    Or what is the best software needed to actually make those recovered files that were recovered but are not playable to reconstruct, something like tsdoctor for transport streams, something of that kind but specifically for mp4 container?
    Thanks
    The post is very old. However, using Recuva works real good on not only MP4 but all files.
    It analyzes and tells you the status of deleted files. Get from here http://filehippo.com/download_recuva/ .

Very easy to use. I have used it with almost 100% success for all files with analysis status Recoverable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks all, It is sorted out by now, I do not even remember what part was salvaged and what was not. Lots of software was used, do not remember which one was better than the other. Those videos were sort of masters, so that particular person just had to create them again, which took a lots of time and manipulation etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try photorec (testdisc) i had problems recently on a sd card and it recovered the video and it's playable (unlike other softwares i used) see this thread
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!