VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    On Monday I got from Frys a Corsair 240 G SSD, are they any good??
    Corsair lists them @ $194.00, Frys had them on sale @ $134 & Corsair had a $30 rebate.
    I hope they are worth 94 bucks, figured I'd take a chance. (All on Monday only)

-c-
    Cranky Old Man
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Newegg has the Crucial M500 240gb for $79.99 plus $1.99 shipping. So your price is ok, but not outstanding.

1st tier SSD makers include Intel, Samsung and Crucial. Corsair is generally ranked below them slightly, but depends on the individual drive, the type of chips used and the controller. But the Corsair should work ok for you. I've always had good luck with Corsair memory, but haven't used one of their SSD's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd second what Kerry56 says. If it was a smaller drive, I might have some concerns, but at that size and price, I'm sure it will be fine.

From a technical standpoint, bigger IS better for SSDs. Longevity studies have shown that the bigger the drive, the longer it should last. I'm not personally interested in any below 256 GB (240 is close enough) but the main study I saw showed good longevity for 128 GB drives and up, but for those 64 GB and below, honestly, I'd have to question whether it makes sense to go SSD unless it's really cheap and you are wiling and able to replace it quickly if it goes bad. When SSDs die, they are completely dead. It's not like a normal hard disk drive where you may not be able to boot it but you can still get everything or almost everything off of it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i own a corsair 120gb for more than 5 years and it still working perfectly .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a 60GB SSD a year or two ago and I spent a lot of time keeping enough free space on it. I like about 50% free space.

I now use a 120GB and that's a bit easier to manage. Unfortunately, Windows and many programs want to dump all their files into the boot 'C' drive.
    I move the Windows temp and pages files from the boot drive off to a larger drive.

I would update to a 240GB SSD for a new PC now that they are more reasonably priced.

And I should mention that Windows XP does not seem to work well with SSDs in my experience, but W7 and later work very well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I am not sure I understand all those general warnings of quality, hard disks, whether solid state or mechanical are not very reliable, you simply cannot count on them as they may give up at any moment.

Always have at least one copy on a second device of any file that is valuable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I am not sure I understand all those general warnings of quality, hard disks, whether solid state or mechanical are not very reliable, you simply cannot count on them as they may give up at any moment.

Always have at least one copy on a second device of any file that is valuable.
    I understand your point, but "hard disks" does NOT refer to SSDs at all and to use that term in such a way is incorrect. The generic term you are looking for is "disk drives". Hard disks specifically refers to those devices with moving parts, not SSDs.

Yes of course having copies is good. Since the OP seems to be new to SSDs, I wanted to be sure that he understands that with SSDs dead means unrecoverable (gone forever) and that bigger sizes last longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, "not very reliable" is so wide-ranging and generic as to mean NOTHING. If you want to contribute, give us some specifics (MTBF, age, models/lines, etc) we can refer against. Pot->Kettle.

And HDDs (or SSDs) using RAID are BUILT to handle faults & data corruption hiccups, which occur with EVERY storage medium ever invented. That, plus good practices (data backups, data migration) <edit>whoops, 2nd half got lost...must have been a HDD failure? </edit> will cover most reliability needs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    And HDDs (or SSDs) using RAID are BUILT to handle faults & data corruption hiccups, which occur with EVERY storage medium ever invented. That, plus good practices (data backups, data migration) <edit>whoops, 2nd half got lost...must have been a HDD failure? </edit> will cover most reliability needs.
    Completely agree, using RAID 1, preferably with different brand drives is a very good no worries strategy.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, "not very reliable" is so wide-ranging and generic as to mean NOTHING. If you want to contribute, give us some specifics (MTBF, age, models/lines, etc) we can refer against. Pot->Kettle.
    I'd say if you use a disk for heavy image/video editing you may consider yourself lucky if it fails only after a year of usage.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I had a 60GB SSD a year or two ago and I spent a lot of time keeping enough free space on it. I like about 50% free space.
    My new laptop has only a single 256 SSD, so I use the cloud and a USB thumbdrive for storage. I laughed at the cloud for a while, but it is about the safest place to keep everything.

It's a little more effort to juggle things around, and you have to think ahead, but it works out pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I laughed at the cloud for a while, but it is about the safest place to keep everything.
    But will you laugh again when local storage devices will become virtually non existent and you no longer have a choice, have to pay high rents for storage and is your private content frequently searched for 'safety' purposes?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to run a home NAS and use GoodSync, and it's a lot faster transfers, but the downside is no off-premise backups, and it's a hassle to try to connect to it from an external IP.

If you compare the work of doing your own system administration and hardware headaches, and stress, the cloud is a lot easier.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    If you compare the work of doing your own system administration and hardware headaches, and stress, the cloud is a lot easier.
    True!

So do you agree that in a decade from now there won't be any personal computers anymore, just devices on an OS that log everything you do and stores your 'private' data in data centers overseen by companies that make money from scanning your private data and your actions?

Ultimately the question is are we heading for a Star Trek or Blake 7 style federation.

Last edited by newpball; 5th Dec 2014 at 19:32.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not really a fan of 'cloud' backup solutions, but to each his own. I back up important files to BD and dual layer BD Verbatim discs and sometimes to DVD discs.
    And they are also backed up to portable USB drives stored off site and some of them to my server PC hard drives. I haven't lost any important data in many years.

Mainly, I use multiple backup locations and media for important data.

But to return to the OPs subject, I've really had no problems with the newer SSDs. With newer OSs, they seem to take care of themselves transparently. I do try to keep lots of free space on them. My main PC is now running about 80% free space, so no worries.

I also back up the OS to other locations. My main PC now has a 120GB boot SSD and four 1.5TB WD HDDs for basic data handling. I gave up on RAID a long time ago and never regretted that. But I have always used the idea to never save anything to a hard drive that I can't afford to lose. I believe in backups.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, Newpball, everything will be distributed in the future. That's the most efficient way forward as humans. If we don't build our own Borg, another species might impose their Borg on us.

We ARE in fact creating a central world command platform. Once you get the chip installed at birth, you're connected. So yes, there will be no more personal computers. No need for any.

No more cameras either. Our eyes will automatically upload anything interesting.

Last edited by budwzr; 5th Dec 2014 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Back to the original subject, Tech Report did an experiment that included a Corsair Neutron SSD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Back to the original subject, Tech Report did an experiment that included a Corsair Neutron SSD.
    Thanks, I dont think I have anything to worry about.

Back to the original subject, indeed!! This 'cloud storage', unless they are bouncing your data between Arcturis & Alpha Centurai, its being stored on some sort of drive/storage system, yes? Is it less likely to fail than your own (usb, etc) drive/storage system?

Not being flip, really, seriously,
    -corne-
    Cranky Old Man
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Back to the original subject, Tech Report did an experiment that included a Corsair Neutron SSD.
    Thanks, I dont think I have anything to worry about.

Back to the original subject, indeed!! This 'cloud storage', unless they are bouncing your data between Arcturis & Alpha Centurai, its being stored on some sort of drive/storage system, yes? Is it less likely to fail than your own (usb, etc) drive/storage system?

Not being flip, really, seriously,
    -corne-
    Cloud storage should have redundancy that would be hard to match in your home storage system. This is not to say that it can't be done. But would require investment in time and equipment beyond that which most people want to spend.
    Quote Quote