VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I noticed someone posted a link to a color grading video tutorial he placed on Vimeo. Why on Earth would someone delete such a thread? A forum called Videohelp deleting links to helpful tutorials seems rather counterproductive to me.

There are more tools than avisynth to do video editing, I am getting the impression that this forum is suffering from a "not invented here with avisynth" syndrome.

So why was that posting deleted?

And no, I do not know the person who posted the link.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It looked legit to me.

I took a quick look at that poster's vimeo page, he had nothing to do with the company selling Colorista either. I think this was a false alarm - smells like a witch hunt

(no I don't know the person either )
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I accidently deleted it. Yes. I can make mistakes.

I will try restore it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A moderator, hopefully the one who took the action, will have to explain why it happened. We've had moderators get overzealous at times, but I admit such things are the exception rather than the rule. I remember seeing the topic, but I didn't look at it so I have no idea what it said and can offer no guesses on what might have happened.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ha ha - Baldrick answered my questions. I was too slow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Covert Film didn't create this tutorial. Covert Film wrote the following on the Vimeo page "If you'd like a thorough explanation of the basics of using the Colorista II keyer watch this video; from the master himself, Stu Maschwitz". Apparently Maschwitz did a series of tutorials for Red Giant, some of which Red Giant posted on Vimeo themselves

If this isn't advertising (the Vimeo page includes a link to Red Giant's website), posted with the approval of Red Giant, then it is a link to warez.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Covert Film didn't create this tutorial. Covert Film wrote the following on the Vimeo page "If you'd like a thorough explanation of the basics of using the Colorista II keyer watch this video; from the master himself, Stu Maschwitz". Apparently Maschwitz did a series of tutorials for Red Giant, some of which Red Giant posted on Vimeo themselves

If this isn't advertising (the Vimeo page includes a link to Red Giant's website), posted with the approval of Red Giant, then it is a link to warez.
    He made the tutorial.

Guess what? This is what actual people do in the video world. They make tutorials, share ideas, tips and techniques through vimeo, youtube and other sites

It's common courtesy to link the tools and references used, whether they be freeware or paid software

Just my opinion, I see nothing wrong here but it's up to the Baldrick of course
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

He made the tutorial.

Guess what? This is what actual people do in the video world. They make tutorials, share ideas, tips and techniques through vimeo, youtube and other sites

It's common courtesy to link the tools and references used, whether they be freeware or paid software

Just my opinion, I see nothing wrong here but it's up to the Baldrick of course
    Then I misunderstood and withdraw my objection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can well understand Baldrick's 'concern'.

We have a new member (first post) who suddenly wishes to make available some techniques using 'newish' software. (Well 'newish' to me)

Wouldn't it be better if prospective posters of such material get advance approval and thus avoid any mis-understandings.

Also silence from the OP can create the wrong impression.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would agree with what DB83 just said.
    Also, maybe there is a spot for a "promotions" sub-forum, where developers & shills alike can announce & promote their wares (not warez, though), as long as certain rules are abided by, but they would also then be bound to NOT promote outside of that sub-topic in any of the other topic sub-forums.
    (and Baldrick, maybe you can get some $ for allowing them to promote in that section)

Scott
    (not that I intend to)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I can well understand Baldrick's 'concern'.

We have a new member (first post) who suddenly wishes to make available some techniques using 'newish' software. (Well 'newish' to me)

Wouldn't it be better if prospective posters of such material get advance approval and thus avoid any mis-understandings.

Also silence from the OP can create the wrong impression.

Baldrick didn't say he had any concerns. He said he accidentally deleted it.

Everyone who has been here is on high spam alert. I certainly am. But there characteristics of spammers, and characteristics of genuine posters.

If there was only 1 video on his vimeo page, or full of ads, then you might be suspicious. This poster has showcases of his film reels, short features, wedding highlights, past work. And it's not immediate posts all accumulated within 1 day to make up a "fake history". Those are real videos, real postings over 2 years. That is not the work of a spammer

Is it because nobody heard of Red Giant or Colorista ? In the professional video world, Red Giant is a very reputable plugin company.

Let's put it this way, if I made a tutorial on Sony Vegas, and posted a link to Sony Vegas website, nobody would bat an eye

He's giving props/credit to Stu, who is a known personality in the industry, worked at ILM, has his own FX compnay, and published a bunch of tutorials and books. That linked video is just an "introduction" to Colorista, so it' s 101 knowledge before you get started
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pdr. I take your point.

Maybe we do over-react with 'new' members. But even so, if someone has such a good 'history' why has he not shared his knowledge here before ?. Almost a case of 'look what I can do'. And the wording of his post did not help either.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Pdr. I take your point.

Maybe we do over-react with 'new' members. But even so, if someone has such a good 'history' why has he not shared his knowledge here before ?. Almost a case of 'look what I can do'. And the wording of his post did not help either.

Maybe he was searching for some other topic and ran into this site

Not "everyone" posts here. Many people in the industry haven't even heard of the site

Would you rather have a "Hello my name is ____ . I like long walks on the beach, my favorite color is red...." as a first post? At least his was relevant and might be useful to some people

If he wanted to "sell" himself or his services, he would have done a better job by linking to one of his reels . This one feels legit to me
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I accidently deleted it. Yes. I can make mistakes.

I will try restore it.
    Thanks for your candid explanation.

Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I am getting the impression that this forum is suffering from a "not invented here with avisynth" syndrome.
    WOW!!!
    Get a grip!!!
    Talk about an unfounded over reaction!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to give you a small bit of what Mods and the Admin have to deal with daily on this site, I locked this one today about twenty minutes ago. Then I banned the poster.

'Hanna says: CLICK HERE to start your 30 day XXXX Trial for only $9.95 or purchase without the trial for $69.90. You can then select standard delivery times or expedited delivery.' This was in our 'Off Topic Forum.' This SPAM was for a anti-snore device. And it was from a US site. Spammers are not all international.

I block or ban a couple of spammers per day. I'm sure our other Mods and Admin do the same or more. We do make mistakes at times, but we also try to protect our site and our members.
    Last edited by redwudz; 3rd Dec 2014 at 21:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My understanding has always been that if a new user posts an outside link early on especially on his/her 1st post and it looks like they are spamming their pet creation or possibly warez then it is best to report it but not put a challenging comment in the thread so as not to start a useless argument. Some come here to spam their stuff just to get hits and you never see them again. It's not always that easy to tell so just say why you are reporting it and let the moderators decide. Sometimes they let it slide and sometimes they don't. Beyond that it's not usually an issue.

btw) I'm not criticizing the op for asking the question.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Crap... I need an anti-snoring device...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!