VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It's been a really long time since I needed to record sound thru the mic input miniplug jack; last I saw, you could open a mixer-like console in Windows that would select Source, set Levels, etc.

I'd used Audacity before without problems, but this time it couldn't find/set an input.
    After fooling with it a while, I went to the Sound icon in Control Panel.
    It only opened a supersimple set of choices, with the only one under Recording being Microphone - Realtek HD Audio, with any options greyed out and no way to add another.

Going to the Realtek Audio Manager panel, I found it only has a Speakers tab, and a greyed out non-functioning Analog Mic In button.

I am not sure where the Realtek software came from; this Toshiba has Dragon Naturally Speaking and Logitech QuickCam installed as well.
    I'd rather not get into a dependencies problem over this.

Any advice on where to start, or what not to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to work OK on my laptop. It picks up the internal webcam microphone by default in Audacity. I couldn't quickly find a external microphone. And I notice the mic jack is also the headphone jack. I'm guessing you can't use both functions at once.
    I'm also guessing that the 'Analog' input is greyed out as I don't have an external mic plugged in.

A screenshot of my Realtek Audio Manager:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	audio.JPG
Views:	1671
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	28954  

Quote Quote  
  3. Hi ,

In the task bar ( at the right-bottom ) , click on the icon "level speaker" .
    This will open a dialog box .
    Click on 'properties' .
    This will open a dialog box .
    in 'peripheral...' choose 'Realtek HD Audio Input' .
    Select the 3 elments , and OK .

Regards .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys! Sorry to take so long getting back here...

Red: The Realtek Audio Manager on my machine doesn't have that main Microphone tab, only a Speakers tab, so I don't see any of those settings.
    It does have an analog mic button- one of those greyed out round buttons on the right of the panel.
    (To be clearer, I wanted the Mixer because I have a Line input from an old Philips cassette deck as a source.)

aazerty: Left-clicking the speaker icon gives me an output volume control, with an output mixer for Flash, Windows Sounds, & Firefox.
    Right-clicking it gives me Open Volume, Playback Devices, Sounds, and Recording Devices.
    Under Recording Devices, there is only one allowed option- a default Microphone with no apparent way to add Line In.
    Highlighting the microphone option took me a while to suss out, this activates the Properties button, which opens a secondary screen with another Properties button, dealing with DC Offset, Level, Boost, Sample Rate... but all are Mic spec'd, nothing dealing with Line Levels or getting the signal to Audacity.
    I do appreciate both your help in getting me this far, but I don't want to pop any chips on this laptop, so am concerned with just 'experimenting' especially with peaky music.

Why has audio gotten so back-burnered, anyway?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!