VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a play-out software running PAL video and need to output it to my TV display. Any other sufficient way on how I can do this with good quality results?
    So far I have output my video using the Intensity shuttle with composite cables, and the results were not to good with colour bleeding and high contrast. All my video has been compressed using Adobe Media Encoder (MPEG2). So what are the best options on getting my video out at a some what professional level?

Thank you.

(sorry if not posted in the correct section)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know if this is the right section or not, but you've not provided a whole lot of information. If it's MPEG-2 video, is it still in a PAL format (720x576@25fps)? Do you want to convert it to NTSC? If so, why didn't you do that in the first place? What kind of material is it? Film, interlaced video, what? Can't you use any better cables than composite? Component or HDMI? Also, what looks good on a computer monitor might not look too good on a television (which might include the high contrast you mentioned).

If you want to convert it to NTSC then you might try AVSToDVD. Since you spelled the word as 'colour' maybe you're in the UK and want PAL video. Maybe provide a short sample of a section you don't think looks very good when played on the television.
    Quote Quote  
  3. [ If it's MPEG-2 video, is it still in a PAL format (720x576@25fps)?

Yes the video is still PAL25i 720X576

Do you want to convert it to NTSC?

No, all video must be PAL.

What kind of material is it? Film, interlaced video, what?

Material is interlaced video (as well as some progressive video) anaphoric windscreen.

Can't you use any better cables than composite? Component or HDMI?

I have tried both composite and HDMI, both in which look terrible on TV display.

Also, what looks good on a computer monitor might not look too good on a television (which might include the high contrast you mentioned).

Your absolutely right, video previewed on a computer screen looks great, but when displayed on the TV, I see colour bleeding, jagged lines and titles over video look terrible. Not sure what I may be doing wrong here. And I will get a sample ASAP. (I am based in Australia)

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here is a rough sample:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10501665_329745853896734_3816588558978371842_n.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	28910

You can see the jagged lines which also a shown on graphic titles.

Playout software:

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	185
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	28911
    Quote Quote  
  5. A sample means an untouched video sample. However, based just on the screenshot it looks as if it's been very poorly deinterlaced already. Did you do that somewhere along the line? Or the Adobe encoder? If so, you should turn off the deinterlacing in whatever caused it. Unless it's a hi-def source, you should probably cap at standard-def. If you can't get the interlaced source, your video is already ruined.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Did you do that somewhere along the line? Or the Adobe encoder?
    The sample footage was 'progressive' square pixels 1280X720 originally, and has been down converted to 576i Widescreen rectangle pixels (for title overlay), could that be the issue? But if titles were made especially for a PAL output, why am I getting the same quality issue?

EDIT: I did a test changing the output settings to 1080i (using SD and HD footage) via HDMI and results were good, only PAL seems to be the problem. Hopefully there is a solution.
    Last edited by BroadcastTVS; 1st Dec 2014 at 00:18.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by BroadcastTVS View Post
    The sample footage was 'progressive' square pixels 1280X720 originally...
    You might have mentioned that originally. So, besides being 1280x720 it was also 50fps? And it has supposedly been reinterlaced? What did that and how was it done?
    only PAL seems to be the problem.
    How would that be a problem? The source framerate wasn't 50fps, but maybe 59.94fps? Or it's a problem because it has to be 25fps?

The fact that your video looks better when played through HDMI is a step in the right direction. Have you tried playing the 25fps MPG over HDMI yet? Once again, video samples.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So, besides being 1280x720 it was also 50fps? And it has supposedly been reinterlaced? What did that and how was it done?

No, the video is 25fps at a progressive rate. Reason for being compressed at 50i (interlaced) was for graphic overlay.

How would that be a problem? The source framerate wasn't 50fps, but maybe 59.94fps? Or it's a problem because it has to be 25fps?

It might be my source cable outputting the video. But HDMI still hasn't fixed the problem for PAL output either. Frame rate isn't an issue, quality is.

How do you want the samples?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, progressive 1280x720@25fps can be directly resized to 720x576 and it shouldn't look like your picture. Was this graphic overlay also 1280x720 at one point? And why was it necessary that that be interlaced? Yes, PAL MPGs and DVDs are usually encoded as interlaced, but that also often means the content is progressive. How about 10 seconds of both the source and the MPG from the same scene.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Was this graphic overlay also 1280x720 at one point? And why was it necessary that that be interlaced?
    Well the graphic was made within Adobe After Effects and rendered in 720X576 interlaced. The reason for interlacing is for the motion graphic overlay for smoother motion rather then progressive 25P. So basically the video is progressive 25P and graphics are interlaced which works well.

Here is the sample video:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you. I played the sample on both my computer and on my television and saw nothing out of the ordinary - none of the aliasing your picture shows. Then I opened it in VDub and it jumped out at me. I went back and studied it again through MPC-HC on the computer and then I noticed the aliasing again. Again, it looks to me as if it was very poorly deinterlaced (or resized?) somewhere along the line. I don't use any Adobe programs so someone else will have to step in and try to diagnose where the problem began. Maybe try a different MPEG-2 encoder to see if the problem repeats itself, but I think the problem occurred before the encoding stage, perhaps when it was being resized from 1280x720 to 720x576. Do you know what resizer was used? Do you have other choices? Do you have a similar sample from the 1280x720 version?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I spoke to softron (the company of the play-out software) and sent me some samples for their test of the footage. They also got terrible image quality from outputting using composite cables, however, they retested using SDI cable and it sustained image quality. But Im now I'm concerned that my TV may not support SDI cable.

Here are the samples they tested:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	#105112_SS2_Composite.png
Views:	443
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	28930  

Name:	#105112_SS2_SDI.png
Views:	468
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	28931  

Quote Quote  
  13. Use a less sharp resizing filter when you downscale. Your video is full of oversharpening halos. A player that deinterlaced on playback will exacerbate those and the create more aliasing artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use a less sharp resizing filter when you downscale.
    How can I achieve this?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I don't know Adobe tools but usually you can find a choice of resizing algorithms like Bilinear, Bucubic, Lanczos. The upscaler used by the media player can vary too. MPCHC for example:

Name:	mpchc.png
Views:	403
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	28936
    Quote Quote  
  16. Great thank you. Any program like this for the mac?
    Quote Quote  
  17. You mentioned Adobe, you can change the scaling algorithm in AE to bilinear which is softer than bicubic
    http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/06/bicubic-resampling-for-improved-scaling-an...r-effects.html

PP is slightly different, it depends if you're doing it in AME, and if you have MRQ enabled
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2010/10/scaling-in-premiere-pro-cs5.html

Originally Posted by BroadcastTVS View Post
    But Im now I'm concerned that my TV may not support SDI cable.

SDI, HD-SDI won't be supported on consumer TV's , only broadcast monitors and professional gear
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You mentioned Adobe, you can change the scaling algorithm in AE to bilinear which is softer than bicubic
    http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/06/bicubic-resampling-for-improved-scaling-an...r-effects.html

PP is slightly different, it depends if you're doing it in AME, and if you have MRQ enabled
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2010/10/scaling-in-premiere-pro-cs5.html
    Great thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  19. How about a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!