VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Not sure how to complete this task, would appreciate help from any members how have completed this task.

Cheers from down-under,
    happy Christmas,
    Bob
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/

Many new drives come with free utilities to do that, or they use to..........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There are free versions of Acronis available from both Seagate and Western Digital that can clone a drive for you. You just need one of their drives in your system.

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    This is my choice also.
    Quote Quote  
  5. another free one I have heard a few use is HDDraw copy http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easeus Todo Backup is free and good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I also got a copy of Acronis True Image at no additional cost with my new Crucial SSD. If you haven't purchased your new hard drive yet you might want to consider what comes bundled with it.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  8. Acronis True Image (including the stripped down version from drive manufacturers) can re-align sectors when you're cloning from a 512 byte/sector drive to a new 4K drive. Maybe the other programs do it as well, but I haven't seen it listed in their feature list.

It's not free, but it's worth the money, you only have to buy it once if you only use the bootable CD; it works with any new OS. The secure zone and the option to load it at boot time just by pushing F11, make it so convenient you won't have any excuse for not making regular backups. I regularly see it on sale for $20, though it might be more expensive down under (you guys are really getting clobbered).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    There are free versions of Acronis available from both Seagate and Western Digital that can clone a drive for you. You just need one of their drives in your system.

It's been a while but the last time I checked, the copy that comes with WD drives would only work on WD drives but the copy that came with Seagate drives would work on either WD or Seagate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

It's been a while but the last time I checked, the copy that comes with WD drives would only work on WD drives but the copy that came with Seagate drives would work on either WD or Seagate.
    I've used the WD version to clone a Crucial M4 SSD in my system. I have one WD 2tb drive in the system, all the other storage drives are Samsung and Hitachi. So all you need is one WD drive in the computer, and you don't have to involve that drive as either the origin or target for the cloning process.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I dunno if it still works for recent versions of Seagate's DiscWizard, but you used to be able to do a "tech over-ride" if you had no Seagate drives in your computer:

Hold down Alt, then tap t and o, then Enter. Then it will work.

I have the Seagate version of Acronis (DiscWizard) in my HTPC, and the WD version in our office computer. (Seagate drives in the former, WD drives in the latter). Seems to me there are no real differences between the two, other than minor ones in the GUI.

Neither one will do an *incremental* backup like the pay version. But they're just fine for full backups or cloning drives.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Like Racer-X: CloneZilla

The reason for repeating it is that I succefully cloned a 500 GB OS disc with surface defects to a 1 TB disc after Paragon + EaseUS failed in case others are trying to salvage a defect disk rather than merely cloning it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    I dunno if it still works for recent versions of Seagate's DiscWizard, but you used to be able to do a "tech over-ride" if you had no Seagate drives in your computer:

I have the Seagate version of Acronis (DiscWizard) in my HTPC, and the WD version in our office computer. (Seagate drives in the former, WD drives in the latter). Seems to me there are no real differences between the two, other than minor ones in the GUI.

Neither one will do an *incremental* backup like the pay version. But they're just fine for full backups or cloning drives.
    Having backup software in a computer will work fine as long as the OS boots, but it is useless if system fails to boot. You need to create a boot disk of the backup software in case OS does not boot. I've used the Seagate tech-over-ride on desktops and laptops for Seagate version 11 but haven't yet used it for the latest version 13.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    I dunno if it still works for recent versions of Seagate's DiscWizard, but you used to be able to do a "tech over-ride" if you had no Seagate drives in your computer:

Having backup software in a computer will work fine as long as the OS boots, but it is useless if system fails to boot. You need to create a boot disk of the backup software in case OS does not boot. I've used the Seagate tech-over-ride on desktops and laptops for Seagate version 11 but haven't yet used it for the latest version 13.
    Do you know if there are some crucial advantages of moving to the 13 version?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This link is to download a ReflectDL.exe file. Executing this file starts with a page indicating it's a free trial, not a free program. Is there a free version of the program available that's not just a free trial?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    This link is to download a ReflectDL.exe file. Executing this file starts with a page indicating it's a free trial, not a free program. Is there a free version of the program available that's not just a free trial?
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find no option to create boot CD within the program and find only an option to create bootable rescue CD. Is there a bootable CD version of the program available that runs the imaging program after boot to CD?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I've been a longtime user of Acronis TI.

A related question: recently read online that their might be some serious issue cloning a regular HHD to a SSD, due to fundamental differences (in the geometry or handling of sectors ?). True or False ? There is an SSD thread up at the moment, and while I normally avoid cross-posting, perhaps that is a more appropriate place to ask this ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally I found another forum thread that said the rescue CD can be used to run the program after boot to CD. However, an error is given while trying to create a rescue CD resulting in no rescue CD creation. I tried from WinXP and Win8.1 with the same result, and I tried changing PE version which fails as well. Time to seek another backup program I guess since imaging software that can be run from boot media is useless in the event of failure to boot to hard drive..
    Quote Quote  
  20. Since version 6 of Macrium Reflect Free I think you only have the option to create a Rescue Disc. Earlier versions did let you download a Linux ISO for running macrium from a bootable Live CD but not sure that they work with Windows 8/8.1/10. I think v6 allows you to add Macrium to your Start Boot Menu but have not ever done this.

HD Clone also works well and the free version used to be able to be run from a bootable CD/DVD (Since upgrading the license the last time I upgraded to a newer version, I haven't used the free version.) The free version is speed limited and also has some features disabled so check the comparison table to make sure that it can do what you need it to do before downloading.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The version 6.1 tried has no option to download Linux ISO with Windows PE the only option, but it does give option to make boot disk or boot usb drive. The error encountered occurs during the process of building the rescue media and never gets to the point to burn the CD. During build it shows all files downloaded, starts copying PE files, gives the error and says to see the log file. The log file has many lines showing different steps completed, and in the last few lines it says something about failure to mount image or no image attached. I've tried it on 2 different PCs in both WinXP and Win8.1 which makes it unlikely there'd be something wrong with the download in all 4 downloads done. There has to be something wrong in the way the program is is compiling the rescue media build imo.

I've tried Easus to create and restore images which works, but it automatically creates the image file name consisting of the year, month, day and time it was created. I like to name files myself to make easier to differentiate backups from different PCs and/or OSs. Does anybody know if Macrium Reflect Fee let's the user name image files? If it does not, then I'd prefer another program anyway.
    [[/I]
    Last edited by bevills1; 22nd Jul 2016 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Acronis TI is available in a version that boots from CD (though I don't know about any possibility of doing this from flash drives -- perhaps . . . ), as well as in a combo "Media Pack" CD that includes Acronis Disk Director, OS Selector, and others. These are not going to be the free versions, however. The purchase value may still be there for you. And it does let you give your image backups distinctive names. The one thing I'd be inclined for them to change would be to have the user's (optional) detailed description of each image be easily accessible externally, rather than requiring you to load up an image -- as if preparing to restore it -- in order to view this. I haven't used Easeus To Do much or in a long time, but that might be one aspect where it holds this advantage.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Macrium does let you name the images but it adds additional numbering to the end of the name you specify - presumably in case you have splitting enabled or are making incremental and/or differential backups?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Macrium works great and so does the boot disk. The one big drawback is making the disk. It's a pain the way you have to do it, but this is because of the way the Windows license works. They use to allow the download of a generic WinPE ISO, but now it has to be made using your own Windows license. Once you get past this issue it works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Macrium works great and so does the boot disk. The one big drawback is making the disk. It's a pain the way you have to do it, but this is because of the way the Windows license works. They use to allow the download of a generic WinPE ISO, but now it has to be made using your own Windows license. Once you get past this issue it works fine.
    Exactly, but how does one create the build of the rescue media to burn to CD? It seems it should have a prompt to specify the path to a Windows install disk or whatever is needed to compile the image like nLite and vLite do to make a boot CD/DVD install disk, but I don't see that in the rescue media creation steps. Is there a step by step instruction available that revels that which would hopefully solve the media creation problem?
    Quote Quote  
  26. This video is a little outdated, but I don't have Macrium on my home computers to make a better video for you. It could have changed some too. I think the version I have at work is a couple years old. https://youtu.be/d9O5Rhv42JE

If you think Macrium is bad try Image for Windows. I've been using this very powerful software for years, but configuration is a real pain since everything is kind of modular. I have a dozen product keys for each component of the software. Odd designs choices. Of course Clonezilla, while very good, is not for the faint of heart. It's not exactly intuitive at all either. Making the media is probably the easiest part of that, although figuring out exactly which media you need to download can be fun and making bootable USB can be downright evil for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only difference seen in the video and what I see is that there are a couple of later PE versions to choose from in that step. At the screen where it has Data Base WIM checked https://youtu.be/d9O5Rhv42JE?t=59 it has a path shown which is where I believe is where the compile step is looking for Windows files required. Note that link starts the vidieo at the screen I'm talking about, and it needs to be immediately paused to see what I mean. I think in my case either that path needs to be changed or I need to copy needed files to that folder. I'm unsure what files it needs or how to change the path to the location of needed files. In that step of the video I click next which begins files download and compiling the build during which the error is generated. Any ideas about which files it looks for or how to change the path to their location?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At the risk of getting one-note here, I will mention that for relative simplicity and being straightforward in use, it will be hard to beat Acronis TI. (I'm not a stockholder, or anything like that. No real skin in this game.) I have used a few others, starting with Norton's Ghost, back in the DOS era ! When I find something that works reliably for me, I tend to stick with it. If and when a solution comes up lacking, I move on to something else. Macrium has a good reputation, from what I've heard. (Extra hassles with a free product should be entered into the equation.)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!