VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	28903

I go on AviSynth Script Creator and when I press DirectShowSource it gives me this gray preview screen. I looked it up and some people installed K-Lite Codec Pack and it seemed to fix the problem for me but then the encoding process freezes at 99.85% and it seems like other people were having the same issue so I uninstalled it. At one point, I thought that the gray screen was just some kind of glitch so I let it encode and see what would happen. The product was that the entire video was gray besides the subtitles that were burned into the video.

How do I fix this and what was the problem in the first place? It does this from time to time and I dont know why. Im still a complete noob in video encoding so dont be so harsh on me..
    Last edited by Nazomon; 30th Nov 2014 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It usually means you don't have the proper directshow filters installed on your computer . You can use FFMS2 instead of DirectShowSource
    Quote Quote  
  3. DirectShowSource isn't reliable, or frame accurate. It should be a "last resort' method. Instead of DirectShow choose the file indexer to open the video. Add the indexing job to the queue and run it.

What type of video (files) are you re-encoding)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was trying to convert .mkv with .flac to an .mp4 with .aac, thats pretty much it. What do you suggest I do? I reinstalled K-Lite Codec Pack again by the way, and its working fine now and not freezing unlike before for some reason...
    Quote Quote  
  5. MeGUI requires the Haali Media Splitter. I can't remember for which file types, but in case it's not installed......
    There's a chance the K-Lite Codec Pack installs it. I can't remember.

Use the File/Open menu to open an MKV. MeGUI should ask how you want to to open it, or it'll open the File Indexer for you. Choose the File Indexer if it asks. Add the indexing job to the queue and run it. Depending on the file size it might take a little while to index (usually only 20 or 30 seconds). When it's done the script creator will open with the preview and you can set up the cropping and resizing etc as you normally would. When you save the script it should be automatically added to the video section for encoding. The FLAC audio should already be added to the audio section.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks it works, but it doesnt have the AAC file or Chapters file in the mp4 format that it encodes. The subtitles are hardsubbed which is nice but what about the AAC or chapters files? How do I get them in the video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Once the script is loaded into the video section and the audio in the audio section, you can use the "AutoEncode" button and MeGUI will output a finished file containing the audio and video. It'll use whatever video and audio configurations are selected at the time. You can also add external subtitles and/or chapters and audio streams. If you don't want to re-encode the audio when using AutoEncode, click on the "X" button in the audio secion to clear it first.

I generally leave the x264 encoder in single pass quality based encoding mode (CRF encoding). When the AutoEncode window opens, you're given the option to use the current encoder settings or select a file size. If you do the latter, MeGUI will work out the required bitrate and switch to 2 pass encoding for you.

Mostly, I just combine the encoded video and audio myself with MKVMergeGUI, or there's muxers under MeGUI's tools menu (the mkv muxer uses MKVMerge to do the work).

I very much doubt the subtitles were hardsubbed by MeGUI. They would have been encoded into the original video and MeGUI just re-encoded it. If they weren't though, you could extract the subtitles from the original MKV with gMKVExtractGUI or MKVCleaver, then add them to the script for encoding under the Filters tab in the script creator. They'll both also extract the chapters and you can add them when muxing with MKVMergeGUI etc. Thinking about it, the HD Streams Extractor under MeGUI's tools menu will also extract subtitles from MKVs.

MeGUI also has a OneClick encoder which tries to automate the whole process, including extracting and encoding subtitles and adding chapters (I think). I've hardly ever used it myself, and it's probably not a bad idea to familiarise yourself with doing it all "manually" first, but the OneClick encoder is another option.

Another trick which can help avoid excessive extracting......
    Once the video is encoded you can open the output MKV with MKVMergeGUI. Then you can add the original MKV to the muxing job which will add everything it contains. You can de-select the original video stream and start muxing, which will give you a new MKV containing the new video instead of the old, but everything else.... audio, subtitles, chapters.... should be retained. Of course if you're re-encoding the audio you'll need to deselect the original audio stream and add the new one too, but it's a way to mux streams already in MKVs without needing to extract them first. MKVMergeGUI will also open other file types such as MP4 or AVI and add them to the muxing job. Naturally the output is always MKV.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 1st Dec 2014 at 00:55.
    Quote Quote