VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a home video library of DVDs/blu-rays made by using Powerdirector 9 over the last several years. The program has worked quite well for my basic needs, but when I recently went to upgrade to PowerDirector 12 a couple of months ago, the program would not write to a disc with the updated software. The drive recognizes a disc, however when I hit the burn button, I get a progress bar that stays at 0% indefinitely.

The upgrade install was by hard disc, so I downloaded some updates recommended by Cyberlink support, but the problem persists.

I uninstalled PD-12 and reverted back to PD-9 for the last few months and can burn DVDs and blu-rays just fine with that program.

Yesterday, I purchased PD-13 and downloaded the software. The program works fine and I can produce movies to any file option, but I still can't get the program to communicate with the burner to burn a disc. I continue to have the same 0% progress bar even if I do a one video file sample/test that should take no more than 60 seconds. There is no movement or sound coming from the burner when I try to burn.

I am using Windows 8. No video files are corrupted or write protected. I can't even get a simple JPEG to burn.

I feel there is some kind of communication breakdown between the program and the burner. Having tried both PD-12 and PD-13 and getting the same issue, I doubt it's the program itself or need for an update, but rather something about the computer itself that needs to be modified.

I have only one burner in the tower and it is the same one listed as active and ready in PD-9 and PD-12/13.

Does anybody have any possible solutions on how to get the new software to speak to the burner so I can add discs to my library? I'd really like to use the new features of the updated software rather than reverting back to PD-9.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try using the free ImgBurn to burn what Power Director produces. It's better than whatever Power Director is using for burning.

I realize that you probably want a solution that fixes this problem, but we have one member who I know of who uses Power Director so you may be waiting a long time for help if you want to go that route. Honestly, you'd be better off to just use ImgBurn all the time for all your burning needs than to worry about getting the burning working again in Power Director.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do prefer a solution to the problem, but I will also look into imgburn. I don't know that it really is a problem with Powerdirector other than maybe some file pathway that is confusing the computer between the older and newer software.

Would still appreciate some other ideas on how to fix things from people if you have them.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ImgBurn is far better than anything else out there, free or payware. I wouldn't use Cyberlink software to burn anything regardless.

Surely it's not that onerous to just burn with ImgBurn? I forget, can Power Director output ISO images? (I uninstalled my copy of Power Director). If so, just associate ImgBurn with ISO images and it's a one-click deal to burn.

Use custom install when installing ImgBurn to avoid any unwanted toolbars.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was able to load the updated software for PD-12 by a disc install onto my laptop running Windows 7 and successfully burn a disc, so the problem is in my desktop computer somewhere. I loaded Imgburn onto my desktop, but unfortunately the same application in Powerdirector that won't burn a disc is also the same application that makes ISO files of my project and I get the same unending 0% process bar if I try and do this, but I can produce any other file type (avi, wmv, mpeg-2, mp4, M2TS...under a different application process within the PD program...just not ISO.

So using Imgburn, I was able to make an ISO file from one of my prior projects that had been produced as a .wmv file. I then used imgburn again to burn it to DVD and of course my Burner worked fine, so again I know my problem isn't with my hardware. Imgburn worked fine for making the ISO file and burn to disc but the disc wasn't a DVD and I'd like to be able to set it in my DVD player. I'm sure there's a way to do that through Imgburn, but I haven't played with the program enough yet, but the whole process takes longer since I have to make a video file of my PD project, then convert that to an ISO file before I then burn that to disc (hopefully a DVD). Whereas if I could get PD to work, it would be far fewer steps. Isn't there a process by which I can convert my Windows 8 down to Windows 7? I have a feeling my PD-12/13 burning problems would be solved then.

Still looking for some help if anybody has any ideas on why my Windows 8 desktop doesn't process a DVD through Powerdirector while my laptop does. The laptop just is too slow to be practical for me to use.

Thanks again for any input.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pls clarify.

1. Did Power Director 9 AND Windows 8.1 work ?
    2. Does imgburn AND Windows 8.1 work ?

BTW it is not necessary to make an iso to burn with imgburn. Can Power Director output a standard dvd video_ts folder ?. You can simply burn that with imgburn.

Also. Did you install Windows 8.1 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Did you uninstall with something like Revo Uninstaller
    Quote Quote  
  8. It sounds like something installed some problematic filters on your computer. Most likely Power Director 9 itself, but Nero has been known to do it for their packet-writing software (InCD). Do you have any other burning software installed besides Power Director and ImgBurn?

I haven't used Win8, but the relevant registry entries should look the same, no? Can anyone confirm? Anyway, here's the procedure for XP through Win7:

Open a command prompt.

Type in this and hit okay: regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Then SYSTEM

Then CURRENT CONTROL SET

Then CONTROL

Then CLASS

Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The whole thing looks like this:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It's critical that the last line above be exactly as shown. Do you see "upper filters" or "lower filters" there?

If so, you back up the registry (just in case) and delete all filters shown above. Uninstall Power Director 9 and run CCleaner on the registry to clean up any orphan entries. Then install your newer version of Power Director.

And if the filters weren't installed by Power Director 9 but rather some other software, you'll have to re-install that software to make it work again. Though perhaps you shouldn't.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Windows 8.1 is installed.
    PowerDirector 9 burning to disc works with 8.1
    Imgburn works with 8.1

I can't make a video_ts Folder because PD uses the same application to do this as it does for burning to disc and making an ISO file. These are the 3 functions I cannot do. Making any other video file type is under a separate function location and works fine.

Regarding uninstall, I used the uninstall function in Windows, so if Revo Uninstaller is more complete I will look into that to uninstall PD-9.

I will also look into the registry entries process per fritzi93 and see what comes up.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not use that program but anything else I have used splits these three items separately if you want it that way ie you can create an iso. you can create a folder or you can directly burn to disk from the program. The whole point being to test the dvd functions BEFORE you commit them to disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A wild thought.

The reason why you might not be able to burn to disk from the program is due to the program not writing to the HDD (temp files etc.) in the first instance.

There should be some settings for folders. Check that they actually exist.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!