VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear All-

There is a lot of content in these forums about new PC configuration. I tried going through existing posts but decided to create a new thread as I have some specific questions on the config I am looking for.

I have a ton of AVCHD Full HD home videos waiting for editing. My 4 year old MBP is not keeping up to the HD editing softwares like FCP. I am looking for an entry level config to perform some basic editing (color and light adjustment, audio mixing, basic effects etc)

The budget constraints does not allow me go over $1300 for the tower. The following two configurations have been shortlisted based on my budget. Please suggest which of these would help me perform the job at hand. Also, I want the PC to be expandable in case if I need to add some HDDs or RAMs in the future.

Out of these two the XPS 8700 is a gaming PC. However if this can handle software like Adobe Premier for smooth rendering of HD videos then I will go with it as it give some additional real estate in HDD and RAM.

DELL XPS 8700 ($1300)

Processor & Memory:
    Intel® Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6GHz
    24GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Hard Drives:
    2TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    Blu-Ray Reader (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
    Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit) (Comes with downgrade rights to Win 7)

Graphics & Video:
    2GB AMD Radeon HD R9 270 Graphics

DELL PRECISION 1700 ($1329)

Processor & Memory:
    Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1226 v3 (Quad Core 3.3Ghz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB, w/HD Graphics P4600)
    Memory1 16GB2 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Hard Drive:
    1TB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7200 Rpm) Hard Drive

Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional English64bit (Includes Windows 8.1 Pro license)

Graphics & Video:
    NVIDIA® Quadro® K620 2GB (DP, DL-DVI-I) (1 DP to SL-DVI adapter)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll start this one off (as oft I do) in anticipation that others will join in.

As a rule of thumb, more memory is better as long as the software you use can take advantage of it. Even so, I still believe that 16 gb is more than ample for your needs.

I could not, actually, see a XPS8700 with your quoted spec on the Dell site but since these systems are quite configurable maybe you created a bespoke model.

You do not need a gaming gpu unless you intend, at some time, to game. So there, I am sure, some alternatives.

Upgrading that 24 gb memory would probably require you to ditch 2 dims so even more reason just to go, at present, with 16 gb.

So that aside I would look at the i7.

But of equal importance ,as said above, is the software you intend to use for your editing. What do you propose to use ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    I would recommend a LGA 1150 core i7 over Xeon. Only use Xeons if you have absolutely no alternative speed wise, for instance if you need more than 8 cores. As an alternative there is the LGA2011 socket based platform is has hexa- and octacore versions. If you get a LGA 1150 core i7 definitely get a K version because you can overclock those. Even some standard no hassle overclocking will give you great bang for the buck, an i7 should easily overclock to 4Ghz without any issues. For memory I would go for 24GB or even better 32GB.

The graphics card choice depends partly on what editor you will be using. If you will be using Premiere Pro then definitely use a CUDA based GPU.

Quadro you do not need for 8 bit video, you get better performance with a Geforce card and they are much cheaper as well. A GTX 760 or a GTX 770 Geforce card should be sufficient and so is a Radeon 270.

By the way do not use the 8700 as configured with Premiere you definitely want a CUDA based GPU for premiere.
    Quote Quote