VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to copy a DVD+RW Disc onto a DVD-R Disc so that when I play either one, I have the same working DVD Menu, Titles, and Chapters.

I've tried saving DVD/CD Master images from the original +RW onto my hard drive with Mac Disk Utility (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite) and then burning the image to a -R disc, also using Disk Utility.

I see the same Video_RM and Video_TS folders on the Duplicated Disc as I do on the original, however, the duplicate will not auto-play.

Should I be able to do this with Disk Utility? If so, please provide suggestions as to what I am doing wrong; if not, please indicate which free programs can do this. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a PC, so I can't create DVD/CD Master images and burn them with with Mac Disk Utility to test with. I used Imgburn to make a disc image (ISO) from a DVD+RW created by my DVD recorder, which produces DVDs with a similar file structure to your disc. I burned the resulting ISO to DVD-R, again using Imgburn. My Toshiba TV's built-in DVD player auto played the DVD-R, so it seems possible that Mac Disk Utility is doing something wrong.

I suggest that you try a different program to make and burn a disc image. Mac DVDRipper Pro can make and burn disc images. It has a free trial that will allow you to copy 5 DVDs. There is a tutorial here: http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/mac-dvd-copy.html. In spite of what the tutorial says, you should only need a single layer DVD (DVD-R) to copy a DVD+RW.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Nov 2014 at 07:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you finalize the DVD+RW disc before trying to copy it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Did you finalize the DVD+RW disc before trying to copy it?
    That isn't the problem. Unlike DVD-RW, DVD+RW doesn't require finalization.

Here is a quote from the DVD+RW Alliance (http://dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=1&aid=1) , which created the format:
    Do DVD+RW discs need to be finalized?
    No. Everytime a DVD+RW disc is ejected, either from a DVD+R/+RW drive in a PC or from a DVD+R/+RW video recorder, it automatically contains the needed information for the disc to be read in a normal DVD-Video player or DVD-ROM drive. There's no need to perform a time-consuming "finalisation" process on the disc, as is required for all other rewritable DVD formats, and for CD-RW. Likewise, there is no such thing as "unfinalizing" a DVD+RW disc: you can always make modifications or add new contents to a disc without performing some special procedure in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Correct, but will "the needed information for the disc to be read in a normal DVD-Video player or DVD-ROM drive" be complete and appropriate for the new DVD-R media? My experience is that unfinalized disc give unexpected results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Correct, but will "the needed information for the disc to be read in a normal DVD-Video player or DVD-ROM drive" be complete and appropriate for the new DVD-R media? My experience is that unfinalized disc give unexpected results.
    It seemed to be as far as my DVD player was concerned. It had no problem loading the disc and playing the menu. It won't read unfinalized DVD-R or DVD-RW media produced by either of my DVD recorders.

It isn't possible to finalize DVD+RW, and the option wasn't available when I looked for it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!