VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I wiped an old laptop using wipedisc software, on doing this i find i cannot get a Partition Software and Operating System to install.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Be more specific. Which partition software? How are you starting it (booting)? And if you can't start the partition software, how do you know the operating system does not install? Which operating system?
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The O.,P., says WipeDisk was used. Usually laptops have a hidden partition with a copy of the operating system. If you wiped out your original boot sector, you might not be able to access your laptop's reinstaller.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    The O.,P., says WipeDisk was used. Usually laptops have a hidden partition with a copy of the operating system. If you wiped out your original boot sector, you might not be able to access your laptop's reinstaller.
    Yes, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to use a partition software or an operating system install media.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Without knowing which laptop we can only guess. I suspect he means accessing the recovery partition from the boot screen (hitting one of the F keys during boot). As LMotlow said, wiping the drive also removed the master boot record which contains the boot program to access the recovery.

If your wipedisk didn't also nuke the recovery partition you could regain access by installing a boot manager and pointing it at the right place.

Since the drive can't even boot it's more likely the partition table and everything else is gone. You will need a Windows installation disc that matches the product key label of the laptop, if the label is still there. You can easily get legal ISO files from the net for Vista and 7. For XP, just look to your local PC shop. You should also be able to buy recovery media from the manufacturer or you could go for Linux (better choice than XP IMHO), Mint is very nice and I like Peppermint.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about lack of information at the start.

The unit is a acer aspire laptop 5310

I have tried several Partition Software, the only one i have got to install and work is "EaseUS Partition Master" when i try to resize and move partition stage Disc 1 to make disc 2 i keep getting error when trying to complete. With the Operating System W7 it installs but because there is only one x C disc dive, when trying to add another partition it comes up error'

Thanks for reply and thanks nic2k4 for links

I have since installed Peppermint. no problem at all, very fast, i won't be going back to windows. thanks again nic2k4
    Last edited by Teac23; 26th Nov 2014 at 11:02.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm not sure I follow you, why do you want to add a partition?

Is the recovery partition still there and is it still active? If it is that explains why you can't create a new partition. That partition uses the old trick of an invalid ID to hide the contents, but at the same time it prevents partitioning software from changing the partitions on that drive, it chokes on the invalid ID.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the recovery partition still there and is it still active? If it is that explains why you can't create a new partition.
    To be totally honest with you nic24, i hardly know anything about this. the drive is completely wiped.

Here are some pics taken of the windows 7 Operating*System install

http://s17.postimg.org/oibf3o0fz/SDC10292.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/m3x4wdt9p/image.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  9. A picture (or 2) truly is worth a thousand words. I'll tell you it doesn't look good, according to that error code (0x8007045D) the HDD is most likely defective. It's possible that there's an issue with the current partition, the easy way to check that is to hit the Drive Options button when you get to the drive selection screen, select the drive and hit delete, do nothing else and click next to let Windows deal with everything automatically. If that didn't do it, then the drive is bad. You may be able to bring it back to life by removing the controller board from the drive and wipe the pads clean with a soft white pencil eraser (not a rough ink eraser).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Search for recovery ISO's, Windows license number should be embedded in ROM (COA/OEM SLP).
    Quote Quote  
  11. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    It's possible that there's an issue with the current partition, the easy way to check that is to hit the Drive Options button when you get to the drive selection screen, select the drive and hit delete.
    In the pictures, all the drive shows as unallocated space, so there is no partition to delete.

Maybe absolute sector 0 is corrupted. If this is the case, the disk is unusable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's been a long time since I last installed Windows on a drive with a foreign file system, seems to me Windows would report the space as unallocated. You're right though, the delete option would be grayed out in that case and it wouldn't be possible to create a new partition either (this is probably to prevent overwriting another OS' drive). If wipedisk was improperly used it could have left the drive in an unstable state and the partition tool treats it in the same manner.

Connecting the drive to a working PC and using the Windows Disk Management tool would fix it. Better yet, get the drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool. If another PC is not available, you can make a bootable USB drive (or CD) with Gparted Live to delete any existing partition and create a new NTFS partition, then install Windows.

It's not possible for software to access absolute sector 0 on LBA drives, it's not even possible to low level format one. Maybe a virus infecting the drive firmware, but at that level there's many more interesting things to do. Anyway, in his case the grief came from wipedisk.

SLiP media is not readily available (as in warez), you can find torrents... It's much nicer to download a clean copy from MS and use your legal CoA.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi nic2k4

I shall try adding the HD into a Acer pc i have, and try Gparted Live.

Thanks for all the latest advise you have given me, much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi nic24k

I found some Aspire recovery discs from a 57332 laptop. I think discs will work if it wasn't for this. http://s28.postimg.org/f1n1cvp8t/ASPIRE_57332.jpg

There is insufficient space on the disc for the temporary files required for this operation. How come when HD been cleaned?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the "reinstaller" expects to find a properly-formatted HDD

I've never used those laptop "recovery discs", since they are full of bloatware
    Quote Quote  
  16. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    There is insufficient space on the disc for the temporary files required for this operation. How come when HD been cleaned?Thanks
    These recovery discs usualy recreate the recovery partition before recovering the actual Windows installation. I suspect that message means the installer can't create the recovery partition, which is no surprise since nothing seems to be able to create a partition on that drive.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Maybe the "reinstaller" expects to find a properly-formatted HDD
    He's right, you're back to having to partition and format that drive. Do you have a Windows installation disc (any version)? You could try to boot to the recovery console and do a FIXMBR; I just don't know if the console will come up without an OS on the drive. Boot the installation disc and choose to repair, that should bring the console, then just type FIXMBR. Reboot the laptop and try to install Windows.

If it still doesn't work you'll have to manually partition the drive through the recovery console using DISKPART. Personally I don't use it, it lacks the basic functionality of FDISK; Gparted is a better tool.

If after all that you still get errors trying to partition the drive, you might want to look at cleaning the pads and keep the pictures coming.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not connect the HDD to another PC as slave and reformat, then re partition and install OS.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Once again, thanks for replies.

Hello Nic24k

I have done as you stated apart from the cleaning of the HDD. The screws are hex shape so I have had to order hex screwdriver.

In regards to trying Gparted I had already tried this and I got errors trying to partition the drive,.

Hello jollyjohn

jollyjohn wrote:
    Why not connect the HDD to another PC as slave and reformat, then re partition and install OS.
    I will give this a go when I get my Doc Station.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again

Well the Hex screwdriver taken a whole week to arrive. Opened HDD up yesterday, nothing to clean.

So i tried "Paragon Partition Manager 15 Business Edition" It recomends i scan HDD for bad sectors, maybe the HDD is truley broke. I shall scan anyway. I did however try and format HDD but failed!

See pics

Quote Quote  
  21. The way I understand it is:

- Your PC had a W-8 installed by default.
    - Then you or somebody else Install W-7 in stead.
    - After that you wanted to create a Second partition to have a double boot (Second OS. "Probably Linux-X)
    - Then somehow the PC get bricked.

If I'm correct some how:
    - You need to start from the beginning.

Have you ever try to format a PC without a Disc, using F10 or F12 before ?
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 7th Dec 2014 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply DJ_ValBec

Have you ever try to format a PC without a Disc, using F10 or F12 before ?
    No, i'm waiting on a doc station. i was going to hook up the pc to laptop, but i'm going to see if i can format the hdd via the doc station first.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. Format with out a Disc. to bring back the original "absolute 0 partition":

This work on XP, Vista, W-7, but It should work also on W-8 witch I'm not fan of it.

I suspect that it's a laptop what you have.
    - Take the Battery off, since you will be unplug it (from the back or side) several times to start the PC quicker ... till you catch up the phrase witch only run from 1 to 2 secs. ass soon the PC start (Black- Screen).
    - You can write down the short phrase if you like. It will tell you what key to press next, accordingly to what you want to do next
    and take it from there.

- Remember: You only have 1 to 2 sec's to press the correct key witch happen as soon the PC come to live.
    - My best guess is that you have been format or reformat before.

Other example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1yK69TKGtQ

Good Luck.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 8th Dec 2014 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Teac23 View Post
    Well the Hex screwdriver taken a whole week to arrive. Opened HDD up yesterday, nothing to clean.
    What do you mean, everything looked good or you couldn't find the pads?

... It recomends i scan HDD for bad sectors, maybe the HDD is truley broke.
    What brand is that drive? You should try the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

It's always possible the drive is dead, but it was working before you used wipedisk on it or is this something you did months ago and are only getting back to formatting the drive now? Anyway, I wouldn't do bad sector scans too many times that can exhaust the spare sector pool in a hurry if the drive has mechanical issues.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for late reply.

What brand is that drive?

Western Digital
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    Opened HDD up yesterday, nothing to clean.
    You opened the drive?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Connect the drive to another PC (you can use the dock), download and run Data Lifeguard and do the long test.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You seem very shocked nic2k4

I installed the HDD to my PC

It show up in devise manager - WDC WD32

http://s28.postimg.org/gdr4v6gx9/2014_12_14_173215.jpg

Shows in Disk Management (Disk 1) 298.09 GB Unallocated but it states "Ureadable" I left click over Disk 1 - I'm wanting to click "New Simple Volume" But i cannot

http://s27.postimg.org/dzlun9qoj/2014_12_14_173109.jpg

I will download and run Data Lifeguard and do the long test, and get back.

Thanks for help.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!