VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As video on digital cameras is greatly improved nowadays, I'm thinking of getting a new camera to replace my Panasonic Lumix TZ6 camera and Panasonic SDR-S7 camcorder.

Video recording will be as important as photos and I'll be using the videos to make PAL DVDs for the family. At the moment I'm using an antique VideoStudio 11 Plus for producing the DVDs. This has served me well over the years but I imagine I'm going to need something more modern.

My question is, in the choice of a new camera how much importance should I place on the video recording being 25 fps rather than 30 fps? For example the Canon Powershot SX700 HS uses 30/60 fps whereas the Panasonic Lumix TZ60 uses 25/50 fps
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since your delivery is PAL DVD, get a camera that shoots 25fps. (Most now do both, you may want to expand your search.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    25 and 50 fps really need to be options your new camera offers (preferably 50 fps rather than 25 interlaced fps because it's easier to edit and a piece of cake to turn it into 25i for DVD). You don't wanna start doing motion compensated frame rate interpolations if you can by any means avoid it. Not that it couldn't be done with very good quality results these days, but it takes a lot of time and it would probably drive you nuts having to do it with everything you record.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Neither camera will shoot DVD-compliant video, and most of the HD shooting modes are not BluRay compliant. PAL DVD is 720x576 25fps interlaced, which neither camera will shoot (and it uses the wrong codec). PAL 1920x1080 should be 25fps interlaced, which neither camera will shoot. PAL film-speed 1920x1080p at 23.976 (or 24fps) is the only progressive big-frame mode that is BluRay compliant. PAL 720x576 standard def DVD at 23.976/24fps film speed must be telecined to be compliant for DVD.

The BluRay/AVCHD formats are here: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    The DVD formats are here: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech . All 720x576 or 352x576 DVD formats are either interlaced or telecined at 25fps.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since the OP is looking for a NEW camera, the chance of finding an SD, DVD-Compliant one is slim to nil. Among HD cameras then, most cameras will require a conversion to go to DVD. And if conversion is going to happen, make it a downrezzing, and throw in transcoding along with it.

But...
    ...Actually, just looked at both the manuals, and that Panasonic does shoot DVD-compliant video, but it shoots it for NTSC, not PAL, so that would be a bad choice. And the Lumix shoots HD video, but in MJPEG MOV, also not the best choice.

Look for a 25/50fps (PAL-centric) AVCHD (1.0)-type camera. That will be AVCHD compliant, and likely BD-compliant, and easy enough to downconvert to SD for DVD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for the informative replies. I've taken on board the fact that I need to look further. If I may ask a couple of supplementary questions.

1) Any suggestions as to a suitable camera? I'm in the UK and I'm looking at 200-300 (OK, a shade more if I really, really must).

2) If I go for the conversion route, any suggestions for suitable software (also able to burn the final DVD). I realise that my current software, VideoStudio 11 Plus, will be totally unsuitable. I'm not after top of the range professional stuff; let's say under 100.

And apologies for using UK prices, I see that you are all from everywhere but.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    You have to look beyond DVDs, especially when the recordings you make are possibly for future generations to enjoy. So I would suggest you buy a progressive scan (almost all are nowadays) HD camera and if you presently want to burn the videos on DVDs there are ample (and also free) tools available, but always keep the originals archived.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Scheele View Post
    1) Any suggestions as to a suitable camera? I'm in the UK and I'm looking at 200-300 (OK, a shade more if I really, really must).
    Not offhand, although I do scan review sites now and then. The better sites get into multi-page detail -- can get tiresome after a time, but one can learn much about camera performance from the reviews, even if the model under test is 3X your price goal (or even cheaper). One such site is http://www.dpreview.com/ but others abound. From reviews I see, Canon and Panasonic seem to offer decent budget models. Caution: budget cameras aren't recommended performers for low-light situations, where their smaller and less able sensors can get really grimy results. You find bargains now and then, but don't have high expectations for lightweight cameras in poor lighting setups.

Originally Posted by Scheele View Post
    2) If I go for the conversion route, any suggestions for suitable so
    ftware (also able to burn the final DVD). I realise that my current software, VideoStudio 11 Plus, will be totally unsuitable. I'm not after top of the range professional stuff; let's say under 100.
    Sony's MovieStudio HD Platinum sells at considerable discounts over here and over there, and seems to be the favored budget package most often recommended. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Movie-Studio-HD-Platinum/dp/B008RVQM9M
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A final thank you for all the replies. I think I now have enough information to help my searching.
    Quote Quote