VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, everyone!
    I upload videos on Youtube that are mostly upscaled (from 480p to 720p) and hardsubbed, using XviD4PSP 5.0. After conversion the videos look great (almost as good as the sources), however, after uploading, I noticed that my last video has jagged edges, both on the video and the subtitles, and that doesn't look good at all. By jagged edges I mostly mean the diagonal parts of symbols, etc.
    (On PC I watch videos in KMPlayer, and I watch Youtube in Chrome browser)
    I compared the converted videos (what they are before uploading), and the only thing that I noticed is that the video that becomes jagged on Youtube is 60fps, and the videos that remain smooth are 24fps.
    Now, I have several versions:
    1) Possibly, the video can become smooth back after some time after uploading (maybe the processing of the uploaded videos takes more than it says on the uploading page)
    2) Perhaps, reducing the framerate from 60fps to 30fps will help? Right now I'm starting conversion with the same settings but with the ChangeFPS filter, then I'll upload the new version and see if it helps...
    3) You've probably already noticed that Youtube now has 720p60 option, and the video-in-question now has the 720p60 option, too (I see jagged edges only in that option, in 480p all videos become smoother anyway).

Any ideas on the problem?

An update: It seems that all my 720p videos have their edges jagged to a certain extent, yet they look quite okay when watched fulscreen. Seems like the edges are "smoothed" when the video is stretched fullcreen. Still I wonder if they can look smooth in the small window, too.
    Update 2: Have just uploaded the 30fps version - seems absolutely identical to the 60fps version, including the jaggedness. (Well, at least we now can have 60fps, good news).

Overall, the question is, why do edges become jagged after video is uploaded on Youtube?

P.S. Should've used the word "jagged" for description, sorry my English.
    Last edited by PlayingTarot; 21st Nov 2014 at 07:22.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here's the comparison (Youtube vs Source), you can clearly see that the edges on the left are not okay.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bandicam 2014-11-21 14-57-39-641.png
Views:	180
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	28689
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, this can be a browser issue, not a conversion one.
    In Opera it looks alright.
    http://superuser.com/questions/788270/jagged-edges-on-hd-html5-videos
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=351458
    If there are no other suggestions the problem can be considered solved...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The jaggies are most likely occuring when YouTube is re-downscaling your upscaled image using less subtle tools methods than you used to upscale. Had you uploaded a video that matched your original source this would probably not happen.

As for the 60p thing. Sure it's "good news," but If you only have 24 images per second to begin with, what's the point of uploading 2.5x as many frames as you actually have? Upload at 24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try using ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader and get a downloaded version (720P DASH, No conversion)
    Play it using VLC or MPC-HC then you can check if YT really screwed your video or if it is just a browser rendering issue.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    The jaggies are most likely occuring when YouTube is re-downscaling your upscaled image using less subtle tools methods than you used to upscale. Had you uploaded a video that matched your original source this would probably not happen.
    It seems you are right! I also have a video uploaded without upscaling, and it looks okay.
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    As for the 60p thing. Sure it's "good news," but If you only have 24 images per second to begin with, what's the point of uploading 2.5x as many frames as you actually have? Upload at 24.
    The point is that the source video was already in 60 fps when I got it, so xVid4PSP just keeps it.

Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    Try using ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader and get a downloaded version (720P DASH, No conversion)
    Play it using VLC or MPC-HC then you can check if YT really screwed your video or if it is just a browser rendering issue.
    Good idea! I'll try that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    Try using ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader and get a downloaded version (720P DASH, No conversion)
    Just tried it. The downloaded video (720p, 60fps) seems exactly like the source, as if it was never uploaded to Youtube. Only the file size was reduced from 900mb to 180 mb.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!