VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    i am stumpped and confounded. bottom line...i tried all sorts of methods for copying two (pdf) attachments from my android LG tablet from gmail to an 32g micro usb card but can't seem to figure it out. i tried many file manager apps and other software readers but none seem to be able to save to an extern card. and copying from internal card to external card seems to be unsuccessfull. the built-in file manager doesn't seem to be able to help either, though in one attempt, it did successfully let me copy the first pdf file to the external sd card--it provided me the copy selection function, but that seems to have mysteriously vanished from the "long-press" + drop-down selection of functions.

how can i easily copy files from android tablet to a mem card so that i can transfer the card to my pc and copy the file there ?

thanks in advanced for any tips.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just connect your android directly to your computer and copy the files from the android using the computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you push and hold your finger on the file, it should give the option to copy.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i would like to start from scratch because things are just too screwy now.

i am in gmail, reading through the document, and at the bottom there is a section that says ATTACHMENT, and underneath that are
    two rows for each attachment showing: paper clip, description or subject of attachment, and an icon with 3 ellips.

how do i get those two attachments from that email document to an micro sd card ?

edit: i am on an LG tablet with android 4.4.2 kitkat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume if you click the attachment, it gets downloaded to your Download folder. Navigate to your download folder and copy / paste the file to your SD card.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that doesn't work or apply to the 4.4.2 kitkat in gmail v4.9

if i click on the paperclip, it opens a dialog box of applications to launch the pdf in.

if i select the right side, 3 ellips icon, a popup dialog shows: preview; save to drive; save; and download; again. if i select any of the save methods, it just does something in the background that i can't see and then continues in the gmail document. i have no idea what its doing or that it did anything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. for handling those things from Android, even for network playback, ES3 file explorer is a good choice, free app,
    for faster, more heavy duty approach,download-upload, using PC, I'd use wifi file transfer pro app, where you just browse your android in your browser (copying/uploading/moving), but that cost something
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think i found the files. now, i need to copy them from the internal folder to my micro sd card. all the file explorers that i've tried fail. for the ones that i can find a copy and paste feature, when i go to paste each file, it literally says: 'paste failed'. i'm lost!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was reading around and see that for most of these things you have to have your android "rooted" and i prefer to keep my tablet clean and in standard working operation. so i will not be doing that.

i guess i will have to figure this "copy file to.. " nonsense out another time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I do not have rooted Android and that free app I mentioned works ...
    ES3 file explorer,
    explaining "landscape" mode, on tablet, phone layout could differ,
    you tap "LAN" on the left, tap "scan" below, it'll find whatever is over network, then you tap "local" on the left, find your file, you press that file for a while , it'll show box that you check and tap "copy" below, then you navigate to your PC (you can swipe screen to get back to previous screen in your case LAN, you do not have to tap LAN again), whatever is shared enabled and tap "paste"
    Last edited by _Al_; 20th Nov 2014 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it's a "KitCat" thing. Both my tablets have no problems transferring files from internal storage to SD card. My newest tablet is running Android 4.2.2. I mostly only transfer video and images.

Can't you just open that e-mail in your PC?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your LG tablet may be different than run of the mill ones if it uses a custom launcher like many big name Android devices do. Your getting a failed paste could be due to the destination you selected being out of space. Part of the problem with Android is the drive layout can be confusing for example my tablet has 8 GB of internal storage, 3 of which is the OS partition the remaining 5 is storage that shows as SD card in the file manager. When I insert a µSD card it shows as external drive and USB thumb drives are just listed as USB A. AFAIK, Android can't write to NTFS partitions (not sure if it even reads them), I don't know about exFAT, but that means that a paste will fail even on an empty 32GB card.

The only other reason I can see preventing you copying files is the expected destination drive not being in the list. Though Android is supposed to auto mount drives it's possible that on LG it doesn't. Go to the settings panel>Storage and scroll down to the bottom, you will see your µSD and USB drives listed. Both will have a mount/unmount button, if it says mount you have to hit it to be able to access the drive. BTW, you should use that button to unmount drives before removing them.

As for the file manager, again I don't know what you get from LG, but the standard one has buttons at the top, the first one is the home button where you can select drives. The one to its right is the selection button, toggle it on and every file you touch gets a check mark, toggle it back off and you can move around folders. The next button is the action button, hit it to get the copy/paste menu.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Android 4.4.x locked down the SD card. Apps can now only write to the main memory or their OWN directory on the SD card in /Andoid/data. Google claimed it was to avoid malware or poorly behaved apps deleting things they weren't supposed to or putting files all over your card.

It's a huge pain in the rumpus and killed a lot of useful app features.

Some installations come with a special file-manager that works because it's part of the base install. Samsung includes "My Files" that can still copy and delete files anywhere in the system. Otherwise, you are stuck.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Does rooting and using SU give back full access to the card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by byteguy View Post
    Android 4.4.x locked down the SD card. Apps can now only write to the main memory or their OWN directory on the SD card in /Andoid/data. Google claimed it was to avoid malware or poorly behaved apps deleting things they weren't supposed to or putting files all over your card.

It's a huge pain in the rumpus and killed a lot of useful app features.

Some installations come with a special file-manager that works because it's part of the base install. Samsung includes "My Files" that can still copy and delete files anywhere in the system. Otherwise, you are stuck.
    Google wants everyone to use their cloud service, that way they can charge for it. Total BS as far as I'm concerned. Thank's for the heads-up on the 4.4.x limitations, it's a good reason not to upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for the delayed response. i had since found the solution. well, sort of. but its been solved. anyway. what i did was open the attachment (pdf file) through gmail using one of the many available apps to read pdf file though i forget which one exactly. then i used that pdf reader to save-as, and it allowed me to save to the micro-SD card. i guess i should root my LG tablet to avoid this headache. but i haven't found a simple enough guide yet. not really looking. anyway.

here's a crazy but true story..

i recently discovered a bug in the tablet, sort of. its actually a google bug, if you ask me. anyway. i was holding my tablet while walking around at work, and some fingers were just touching the edges of the glass side. apparently, the fingers were activating the knock code screen, and my not responding to it five times caused the tablet to go into permanent lock mode. after several days trying every PIN and user id ideas, i still could not get in. then, i went to the google play to change the password, but it too was rigorous and the questions they were asking were not enough to grant me a new password. i tried several time, but then it began adding an extra step (encrypting, for lack of proper term) by presenting me with distorted words to enter in order for them to accept my responses. that quickly deterred me from continuing, so i gave up (it was 230am) and the next day, i finally contacted LG and had several long live-chat sessions. it was pretty cool, talking to someone live. anyway. after several days, i was still not able to get back into my LG tablet. the last resort was to factory reset. i did not want to do that because i would loose many things, apps, settings, tweaks you made that you can't remember, all the streaming apps and passwords i've been testing this thing on, and the settings to configure for debugging to let me write android apps (delphi xe7 pro) and so on and so forth. so i sat down thinking about it all after that last live chat. then, i entered my name as the password, as a final try. bingo! sheesh, why did i do that ? after all that, and i couldn't even remember my name. LOL. and that got me back in to my LG tablet, yeah!

ps: i just realized that this board includes a built-in spell checker. the red underlines gave it away. wonder how long thats been this way. but i still miss a few words. oh well. live and learn.

i'm just so happy i got my tablet back.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!