VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is it possible, via a fairly simple to use program that will allow me to just HEAR the vocal/voice over of an audio track. eg. I am trying to rip the commentary from a DVD clip of some car stunts, however I only want the commentary and NOT the background noise of the cars. I can quite easily rip the audio from the video file using DVD audio ripper, but I want to go (if possible) one step further and separate the voice from the rest of the track, or mute the background noise of the cars.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Variations on this question get asked so many times that it really should be a sticky. Look at this thread and pay very careful attention to both of my posts in it.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/368336-extracting-dubbed-voice-from-a-audio

No offense intended, but someone asks this question, inevitably what they take away from the answer is not that it's almost impossible or in some cases impossible to do it, but the idea that under very unusual circumstances it might be possible leads them to conclude that for sure without a doubt they can do it. Here's the reality.

1) If the voice is in a channel by itself (this is extremely unusual) then yes, it is child's play to just take that channel by itself using an audio editor of some type like perhaps Audacity.
    2) It's so complex that if you have to ask, you probably won't be able to do it, but if you have an EXACT match track of the background audio AND everything possible goes your way AND you really understand very well how to use audio editors, it MAY (or may not) be possible to have the audio track cancel itself out and leave you only the vocal you want. The odds are enormously against this, but it is theoretically possible. jagabo talks about this possibility in his post in that thread I linked to. Again, this is highly unlikely to happen.
    3) In maybe 99% or higher of circumstances, the commentary is mixed in such a way that you won't ever be able to remove it alone.

Good luck, but the odds are highly against you here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Idea scrapped, Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    is it possible, via a fairly simple to use program that will allow me to just HEAR the vocal/voice over of an audio track. eg. I am trying to rip the commentary from a DVD clip of some car stunts, however I only want the commentary and NOT the background noise of the cars. I can quite easily rip the audio from the video file using DVD audio ripper, but I want to go (if possible) one step further and separate the voice from the rest of the track, or mute the background noise of the cars.
    Sony SpectraLayers Pro 2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony SpectraLayers Pro 2. im afraid im still on XP, so the sony program is not viable, is there an alternative ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some jackass like newpball always posts here saying some program that can miraculously do it, yet the odds are HUGE you're wasting your time there. If it was easy to do this with something like that, trust me, we'd already know it.

Look when newpball joined and well, that should tell you all you need to know about his advice conflicting with what the link I provided says.

It's your time to waste going down that Sony path if you wish, but I promise you that it won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Some jackass like newpball
    Could you please stop those personal attacks!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Look when newpball joined and well, that should tell you all you need to know about his advice conflicting with what the link I provided says.
    So what should tell a join date according to you?

Here is a demo of Spectralayers extracting a voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0BJzYI2Ts
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Sony SpectraLayers Pro 2. im afraid im still on XP, so the sony program is not viable, is there an alternative ?
    I like the Sony SpectraLayers Pro 2 via @newpball ("$400" & a lot of work).
    You can try Melodyne that work with XP & Vista (Free, but kind of old).
    http://download.cnet.com/Melodyne/3000-2170_4-33573.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeLKMHxbN8

P.S.
    What I like about this world, is that things that just to be "Impossible" are be coming possible & accessibly.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 20th Nov 2014 at 16:16.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am also trying to improve the sound quality of this audio file, im not expecting miracles but what do you learned chaps reckon would improve it, ie removing the horrible echo sound, or just generally improving the quality.....I have Goldwave and Audacity on my PC but not sure of what filters or effects to use.

I hope the file has been attatched sucessfully.....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since your main signal is plenty loud you can use a noise gate to clip the trailing echo. No specific software recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post

Here is a demo of Spectralayers extracting a voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba0BJzYI2Ts
    Here's what newpball is NOT telling you.

The example in the video is for Casablanca. We have no way to know if your audio track will be the same or better (not likely) or worse (based on what you say, I think it will be worse) than this example. For all we know, this may be an unfair example that was easier than most to do. But to keep things simple, let's just say that your audio commentary will take as long to do as Casablanca.

If you watch the video, it took an average of one minute of work per one second of audio. That means that every minute of audio you process this way will take you one hour of work. So if your commentary is 60 minutes, it will take 60 hours to do the work. And keep in mind that this process is EXTREMELY labor intensive. Look at all the manual steps in the video to do the work. This was not automated at all, nor can it be. So it's your decision, efiste2, whether you think this is a realistic option or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The other thing about the Casablanca soundtrack, which I'm quite familiar with, is that it is indicative of soundtracks of that era: the layering of incidental music and effects is very thin and sparse compared to modern recordings. That makes the job of isolating, and therefore the job of extracting/removing/enhancing, a vocal that much easier (than it would be for most things now).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!